• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function order

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Understanding function order and use. I have been playing with ideas on how function order comes into play. At first I thought it was just preference and not important, but the more I think about it the more it seems like aux-dom-tert-inf makes the most sense. For me its Se->Ti->Ni->Fe->Se. So When I percieve a change I go into my head to figure it out, I create the theory of why it happened and Fe applies it to cause a feeling in others, the outcome may feedback into Se, did it induce the feeling we expected.

So when we go from external percieving to internal judging we are bringing stuff in, when we go from external perceiving to external judging we are judging what we see or talking about it. So Ni-Fe tries to make judgments based on the possibilities based on how others will feel. Ne-Te likes to talk about what they see and how it relates to other things. Te-Si likes to talk about creating a plan or schedule. Fi-Ne is when they sense if how they felt matched with what they percieve or was I mislead.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
often times your dom function is so ingrained into you that you don't even realize you're using it. But, of course you must perceive before you judge. Being dom judging doesn't mean you use it first it means you are best at it and most of your actions are centered around it. The function order is just preference.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
EP base their actions on interacting with their surrounds or their ideas. They play in the now. They take all the possibilities that come from Pe and make a quick reference to Ji to make a specific action.

EJ takes common ideas or events that fit together from Pi and creates actions from that with Je.

IP takes all the possibilities from Pe and refines it down as much as possible with Ji and then acts.

IJ focuses on seeing all the connections between the past and now from Pi, and when they can, they do something with it using Je.

Pe feeds Ji feeds Pi feeds Je feeds Pe... that's the way I think of the way thoughts/action working. You see whats around you (Pe), refine it (Ji) into connections that are memorized (un)consciously (Pi) which you can then use to make the best decisions/actions(Je). Your type decides which functions you spend the most time on.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Poki, was this what you were talking about? :
often times your dom function is so ingrained into you that you don't even realize you're using it. But, of course you must perceive before you judge. Being dom judging doesn't mean you use it first it means you are best at it and most of your actions are centered around it. The function order is just preference.

If what we say is true about perceiving functions and judging functions, how can something be judged (analyzed, decided) before it is perceived (made known to the brain)? From that, I had a hard time seeing how anyone could have their first function being a judging function. The only way it would seem to make sense would be that the function preference order does not dictate the time-order in which it happens. Is that related to what you're saying? You seemed to say that in your 2nd paragraph (of the OP).

(the following may not be related...)

As for how this plays out interactively...what you wrote makes some sense. The way I see it, if we believe the theory that 4 of our functions are "available" to us and our awareness, then there are 4 possible "tracks" of thought:

Pe to Je (such as Se to Fe)
Pe to Ji (such as Se to Ti)
Pi to Je (such as Ni to Fe)
Pi to Ji (such as Ni to Ti)

And I guess their preference-positions determine how often we use them. For example, an ISTP would use Se-->Ti the most, and Ni-->Fe the least. But Se-->Fe and Ni-->Ti would be the interesting ones, because the outcome of which one the ISTP would use is not as obvious.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Poki, was this what you were talking about? :

If what we say is true about perceiving functions and judging functions, how can something be judged (analyzed, decided) before it is perceived (made known to the brain)? From that, I had a hard time seeing how anyone could have their first function being a judging function. The only way it would seem to make sense would be that the function preference order does not dictate the time-order in which it happens. Is that related to what you're saying? You seemed to say that in your 2nd paragraph (of the OP).

(the following may not be related...)

As for how this plays out interactively...what you wrote makes some sense. The way I see it, if we believe the theory that 4 of our functions are "available" to us and our awareness, then there are 4 possible "tracks" of thought:

Pe to Je (such as Se to Fe)
Pe to Ji (such as Se to Ti)
Pi to Je (such as Ni to Fe)
Pi to Ji (such as Ni to Ti)

And I guess their preference-positions determine how often we use them. For example, an ISTP would use Se-->Ti the most, and Ni-->Fe the least. But Se-->Fe and Ni-->Ti would be the interesting ones, because the outcome of which one the ISTP would use is not as obvious.

Yes, thats what I am saying. It agree that it is not possible to judge before we perceive because we would have nothing to judge. I can tell you that I am very aware of ISTP when I am stressed and I can see my shadow when I am overly stressed. When I am stressed the whole world gets put on hold until I get out of my head. I am basically stuck in an Se-Ti-Ni-Se-Ti-Ni loop where Ni keeps coming up blank and I do nothing with Fe. When things get unhealthy is when Se gets thrown out the window and I am stuck in Ti-Ni loop and my thoughts just perpetuate and may spiral down the wrong path without any external perception to back it up. When really stressed Ni leterally hits over drive, everything I percieved comes and hits me at once, I then can see every single possible outcome and can give so many reasons why it could happen. I feel stupid like I am in way over my head, I just want to throw everything away because I feel like I screwed up somewhere. The crazy thing is that no matter how much everything lines I up, how much I can tie my thoughts together I also know how relational I can be and I am terified that I missed something, I forgot to dot an I or cross a T and my story took on a whole different meaning.