• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Si: the story-telling function...

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I dunno, just seems to me that people with Si in their top 4 end up telling stories when they want to get at something important in their lives.

Usually lots of past tense, and emphasis on detail. And if Si is 3rd or 4th, the stories often have a lot of gaps, and detail needs to be clarified by the listener.

Thoughts?

Anecdotes?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Let me tell you, when I was a young boy, this kind of posting would not have occurred. We had something called pen and paper. Mead Paper, I reckon it was.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Idk about Si in the top 4 but definitely Si in the top 2.
I can't spend time with my ISTJ uncle without at least a few stories of how my dad was back when or how I was as a kid.
ESFJ grandma always talking about what it as like at my age.

Being tertiary Si I rarely tell stories. I do get those nostalgic "Oh you remember that one time?" now and then, but I'm sure everyone gets that once in while. Then again, I am young and supposedly tertiary doesn't really show itself until the late 20s or something like that.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yep, that's me... When I feel like someone is just not getting what I am saying, I explain and relate it from a 1st person POV from actual experience. But then I always mix the details of stories up no matter how hard I try to keep it together. I have the biggest problem with the time and location of the story ("it was in New York in 2000, or was that Boston?"). Si is my 4th function.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Interesting... I did tell LOTS of stories to my younger siblings in my teen years - adventure, fantasy, but usually with very practical/sensible/smart protaganists. I will brag a little and say that my stories were very popular and I had a lot of leverage by saying I would or would not tell a story that night, etc, to get my siblings to do or not do things. My stories did have lots of detail in them and did borrow a lot from the thousands of books I had read by that point. If it is related to Si that would be really fascinating.

Last edited:

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
lets get some SP/NJ opinion in here!

edit: ^ nevermind

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
jenocyde - my ENTP best friend likes telling stories about things that happened to her, but I usually end up chiming in to clarifiy details like dates and stuff! She can make even mundane things sound really interesting.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Amira - do you ever feel like she is lying to you because her details are fuzzy? I know it seems strange, but I can't remember a lot of what I consider to be minor details. For instance (anecdote time!!!), I travel a lot and my cousin was asking me how I liked Sao Paolo. I kept telling him I'd never been there and he insisted that I had. It got heated. We looked in my old passport, and sure enough, I had been there 2 years prior. When I saw that, I immediately remembered the trip and everything about it - I had stored the memory in my brain as "warm, sunny place - lots of dancing, witnessed knife fight". I know it seems crazy to others but I just remember big picture type of things.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Amira - do you ever feel like she is lying to you because her details are fuzzy? I know it seems strange, but I can't remember a lot of what I consider to be minor details. For instance (anecdote time!!!), I travel a lot and my cousin was asking me how I liked Sao Paolo. I kept telling him I'd never been there and he insisted that I had. It got heated. We looked in my old passport, and sure enough, I had been there 2 years prior. When I saw that, I immediately remembered the trip and everything about it - I had stored the memory in my brain as "warm, sunny place - lots of dancing, witnessed knife fight". I know it seems crazy to others but I just remember big picture type of things.

No, not really. For one thing, I have known her long enough that I know she really does care about telling the truth as much as it looks like she does. She doesn't put on an act of being an honest person. She really wants to tell the truth about everything, but doesn't remember certain things well - like I said, I know that frequently I remember the "minor details" much better than she does and I guess you cousin does that for you! Her first wedding anniversary I did a card and everything and called her up and she hadn't really noticed what day it was until first her husband and then I reminded her. (!!!)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Good point with Si and telling stories. :yes:

No wonder I'm so bad with the details in my story-telling. :D

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
And if Si is 3rd or 4th, the stories often have a lot of gaps, and detail needs to be clarified by the listener.

Thoughts?

:blush:

Amira - do you ever feel like she is lying to you because her details are fuzzy? I know it seems strange, but I can't remember a lot of what I consider to be minor details.

I always worry that I come off like a total bullshitter - I'll read something in a magazine or online but only remember the "big picture" takeaway. Then someone starts asking me details and I'm like "Uh.. yeah, something like that. Or maybe it was supposed to be..." It would totally sound like I'm just making shit up if you didn't know that's how I roll... :doh:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Happens sometimes with an ENFP I know. When she wants to work something out she starts telling the story of what happened. Awesomely gappy storylines, really like a bunch of non sequiturs strung together. She'll clarify if I ask for some detail, but she'll get frustrated and angry and talk over me if I try rushing some conclusion into the storyline. Obviously (I presume) real life recollection is Si, and I'm tentatively assuming that the foot stompy frustration is a confirmation of that: Si being fourth for her, it's earnest when engaged and not so polite.

I assume, for her, that story-telling is Si in service of Fi. Fi getting it's "facts" straight for proper assessment of what happened.

G

garbage

Amira - do you ever feel like she is lying to you because her details are fuzzy? I know it seems strange, but I can't remember a lot of what I consider to be minor details.
...I know it seems crazy to others but I just remember big picture type of things.

I get this all the time. I often have a general impression of something, especially some story, without the capacity to "back it up" :doh:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i am the worst story teller in the world for real.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I always worry that I come off like a total bullshitter - I'll read something in a magazine or online but only remember the "big picture" takeaway. Then someone starts asking me details and I'm like "Uh.. yeah, something like that. Or maybe it was supposed to be..." It would totally sound like I'm just making shit up if you didn't know that's how I roll... :doh:

I can relate.
Whenever I try to explain something I feel like I'm making it up because I have no backing for it. No details. It's funny because it makes perfect sense in my mind, but when I go to explain it I'll start questioning myself because I'm like wait.. how did get to that idea again?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I can relate.
Whenever I try to explain something I feel like I'm making it up because I have no backing for it. No details. It's funny because it makes perfect sense in my mind, but when I go to explain it I'll start questioning myself because I'm like wait.. how did get to that idea again?

Or even take it to the next level and go ahead and fill in the gaps to the people listening while still trying to figure out the details because i'm 99% sure that what i'm explaining is accurate due to my confidence in using the tool of the big picture.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I don't know though, I don't tend to tell stories but when I do, it's in a very matter-of-fact way. Unless I know the person really well, I'm just not comfortable telling a story. But when I am, I guess I do tell them often - but they're true stories, usually describing some sort of past event, in detail.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I totally relate to this. I'm good at story-telling, especially if it's something involving friends or other people, because I'm really good at remembering details. I have this whole story about when I went to the movies with a friend, and I remember what restaurant we went to before the show, where we sat, what I ordered, what we were wearing, who was with is, and everything that happened after. Nobody else who was with me has high Si so none of them remember nearly as much as I do. :laugh: