User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Si: the story-telling function...

I dunno, just seems to me that people with Si in their top 4 end up telling stories when they want to get at something important in their lives.

Usually lots of past tense, and emphasis on detail. And if Si is 3rd or 4th, the stories often have a lot of gaps, and detail needs to be clarified by the listener.

Thoughts?

Anecdotes?

MBTI
    I

Let me tell you, when I was a young boy, this kind of posting would not have occurred. We had something called pen and paper. Mead Paper, I reckon it was.
    Johari
    Nohari
    Likes Unionruler, Cygnus liked this post

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Idk about Si in the top 4 but definitely Si in the top 2.
    I can't spend time with my ISTJ uncle without at least a few stories of how my dad was back when or how I was as a kid.
    ESFJ grandma always talking about what it as like at my age.

Being tertiary Si I rarely tell stories. I do get those nostalgic "Oh you remember that one time?" now and then, but I'm sure everyone gets that once in while. Then again, I am young and supposedly tertiary doesn't really show itself until the late 20s or something like that.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yep, that's me... When I feel like someone is just not getting what I am saying, I explain and relate it from a 1st person POV from actual experience. But then I always mix the details of stories up no matter how hard I try to keep it together. I have the biggest problem with the time and location of the story ("it was in New York in 2000, or was that Boston?"). Si is my 4th function.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Interesting... I did tell LOTS of stories to my younger siblings in my teen years - adventure, fantasy, but usually with very practical/sensible/smart protaganists. I will brag a little and say that my stories were very popular and I had a lot of leverage by saying I would or would not tell a story that night, etc, to get my siblings to do or not do things. My stories did have lots of detail in them and did borrow a lot from the thousands of books I had read by that point. If it is related to Si that would be really fascinating.
    Last edited by Amira; 04-20-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added for clarity
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Plato

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

i hate telling stories

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

lets get some SP/NJ opinion in here!

edit: ^ nevermind
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    ISTJ

jenocyde - my ENTP best friend likes telling stories about things that happened to her, but I usually end up chiming in to clarifiy details like dates and stuff! She can make even mundane things sound really interesting.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Amira - do you ever feel like she is lying to you because her details are fuzzy? I know it seems strange, but I can't remember a lot of what I consider to be minor details. For instance (anecdote time!!!), I travel a lot and my cousin was asking me how I liked Sao Paolo. I kept telling him I'd never been there and he insisted that I had. It got heated. We looked in my old passport, and sure enough, I had been there 2 years prior. When I saw that, I immediately remembered the trip and everything about it - I had stored the memory in my brain as "warm, sunny place - lots of dancing, witnessed knife fight". I know it seems crazy to others but I just remember big picture type of things.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Amira - do you ever feel like she is lying to you because her details are fuzzy? I know it seems strange, but I can't remember a lot of what I consider to be minor details. For instance (anecdote time!!!), I travel a lot and my cousin was asking me how I liked Sao Paolo. I kept telling him I'd never been there and he insisted that I had. It got heated. We looked in my old passport, and sure enough, I had been there 2 years prior. When I saw that, I immediately remembered the trip and everything about it - I had stored the memory in my brain as "warm, sunny place - lots of dancing, witnessed knife fight". I know it seems crazy to others but I just remember big picture type of things.
    No, not really. For one thing, I have known her long enough that I know she really does care about telling the truth as much as it looks like she does. She doesn't put on an act of being an honest person. She really wants to tell the truth about everything, but doesn't remember certain things well - like I said, I know that frequently I remember the "minor details" much better than she does and I guess you cousin does that for you! Her first wedding anniversary I did a card and everything and called her up and she hadn't really noticed what day it was until first her husband and then I reminded her. (!!!)