• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

theory about INPs

Gengar

MBTI Type
INFP
Here's my theory about INXPs. So.., get ready to flame ~ :D

Now, from my observations on this forum, there are many INTPs are INFPs who seem to question their type. I don't have anything empirical, but I'd say that the two are possibly the most 'confused' types out of the entire lot. The following is an explanation as to why that may be.

The idea is that INFPs and INTPs can't survive in the real world without being a bit more like their counterpart. And thus they have adapted to be more like one another.

The major weakness of an INFP is the fact that they are insanely idealistic. I speak from experience that many of my ideas are very unpratical/unpragmatic. They JUST don't work. This is because whilst they may seem fitting to the INFP, they lack a sort of logical coherence. Furthermore, some of them are even based on assumptions, with factors not being taken into account and some random contradictions not being considered. HOWEVER, the good thing is that INFPs are often quite reflective. They see their weaknesses, and they do something about it. In this case, they develop a more analytical mind, using logic more, becoming more rational. I think most of us are familiar with Darwin's theory of evolution - it's something like that. The way they adapt - learn from other types, read more,

The same could be said for INTPs. An INTP might need to develop their 'F' side to make themselves more likable to others. It might be unfair of me to say this, but whilst INFPs might lack practicality with ideas, INTPs sometimes present themselves to be mechanical. Their overwhelming logical nature would make them incompatible with other types, who do not have the energy and effort to analyze situations like an INTP does. Thus, to get along, an INTP might hang around feelers more in order to develop their relationships with others. (The same might be said of INTJs, but they're quite stubborn for change.) Afterall, humans can't survive alone, they need to cooperate with others as well.

Now you might say that the two cases I have taken are simply the extremes. All I would say is that there needs to be some sort of equilibrium in INXPs. If they weren't at the opposite of extremes, then there would be no need to change anyways, because they're already at a sort of equilibrium. Thus, because they are constantly needing to be at equilibrium, that is why they are probably the most 'confused' type out of the entire lot.

And of course, at the end of every INFP idea: hope nobody takes any offence.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with the hypothesis in the case of someone being either 100% T or 100% F.

But T's will realize that using shadow F helps them improve their T. And F's realise that they sometimes need to shadow T to get a grip and understanding on what the peep they are actually doing.

So it's fairly natural for either to use the other as a shadow to support human interaction.

Gengar

MBTI Type
INFP
I agree with the hypothesis in the case of someone being either 100% T or 100% F.

But T's will realize that using shadow F helps them improve their T. And F's realise that they sometimes need to shadow T to get a grip and understanding on what the peep they are actually doing.

So it's fairly natural for either to use the other as a shadow to support human interaction.

mhmm. Thinking about it more now...

perhaps INTPs always use feelings when analysing and INFPs use logic when idealizing. Both use the same thing for different reasons, and hence that is why it causes confusion? Seems more correct than that load of stuff i wrote. :doh:

or maybe alternatively, INTPs and INFPs think so much that they continually question their own type :D

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
or maybe alternatively, INTPs and INFPs think so much that they continually question their own type :D

It's that. ;)

Also, we both use Ne to interact with the world, so external behaviour is similiar And Fi and Ti are actually really similiar, especially if logic has been integrated as an Fi value.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
It's that. ;)

Also, we both use Ne to interact with the world, so external behaviour is similiar And Fi and Ti are actually really similiar, especially if logic has been integrated as an Fi value.

agreed

being dominant Ji secondary Ne means that both INPs are in a constant cycle of analyzing what could be. This means that INFPs are especially unsure of who they might really be, and the same goes for INTPs that direct their Ti towards themselves.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
It's that. ;)

Yup. I'm quite capable of using logic to temper my values. I understand that, regardless of what the world should be, there has to be a real reason for why some things just can't work - and I have to accept that.I know plenty of INTPs who are quite capable of using their own values in their judgements, without giving up on their logic, either. Logic and values are not mutually exclusive - in fact, to be truly logical, you have to take values into account, or you're missing a crucial, CRUCIAL piece of the data.

Basically, INFPs are like fluffy INTPs, and INTPs are like hardened INFPs.

Well, not really. We can be quite different. But INFPs and INTPs who have developed their shadow personality can be really similar.. and, hey, might as well say it, pretty damn AWESOME.