• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does the name of your type suits you?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
?Healer...not so much...maybe a little bit...maybe a bit more than I'd like. I've also heard INFP's referred to as crusaders, and that sounds much more like me (or truth be told, more like how I fancy myself to be.)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
here is a different bunch of names for your consideration
they are taken from ipersonic.com

hi infj Harmony-seeking Idealist (HI)
ei enfj Engaged Idealist (EI)
dt entj Dynamic Thinker (DT)
gt entp Groundbreaking Thinker (GT)
si enfp Spontaneous Idealist (SI)
ld esfp Laid-back Doer (LD)
sr esfj Social Realist (SR)
dr estj Determined Realist (DR)
ed estp Energetic Doer (ED)
id istp Individualistic Doer (ID)
sd isfp Sensitive Doer (SD)
gr isfj Good-natured Realist (GR)
rr istj Reliable Realist (RR)
it intj Independent Thinker (IT)
at intp Analytical Thinker (AT)
di infp Dreamy Idealist (DI)

here is the german version (apparently they are meant to be the close to literal translations, but sometimes the german words are better. imho. translation is from their site)

fr esfj führsorglicher realist
lm esfp lässiger macher
zr estj zielstrebiger realist
em estp energetischer macher
ei enfj engagierter idealist
si enfp spontaner idealist
ed entj ehrgeiziger denker
id entp innovativer denker
gr isfj gutmütiger realist
sm isfp sensibler macher
vr istj verlässlicher realist
im istp individualistischer macher
hi infj harmoniebedürftiger idealist
vi infp verträumter idealist
ud intj unabhängiger denker
ad intp analytischer denker

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I think Catalyst would better suit me.
Would you see yourself as well as a Foreseer
–verb (used with object)
1. to have prescience of; to know in advance; foreknow.
2. to see beforehand.
or Counselor (as depicted by Keirsey)? Also whether you see yourself as one, do people who know you superficially consider you a Developer?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
?Healer...not so much...maybe a little bit...maybe a bit more than I'd like. I've also heard INFP's referred to as crusaders, and that sounds much more like me (or truth be told, more like how I fancy myself to be.)
The term used by Berens/Nardi is “Harmonizer” for INFP wherein others would consider you a “Clarifier” (which you most likely don’t see or relate to).
clar⋅i⋅fy   /ˈklærəˌfaɪ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [klar-uh-fahy] Show IPA verb, -fied, -fy⋅ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to make (an idea, statement, etc.) clear or intelligible; to free from ambiguity.
2. to free (the mind, intelligence, etc.) from confusion; revive: The short nap clarified his thoughts.

–verb (used without object) 4. to become clear, pure, or intelligible: The political situation clarified.
The latter word reminds me of the statement used in describing the Fi function, “We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, "sometimes, some things just have to be said." I can see the Analyzer in myself, however would never have considered myself an Operator, until I looked up it’s denotation. Since it’s one of those words with ambiguous meanings, there are certain parts of the definition that do fit.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
how i relate to them ....

• counselor would be okay for me. my first-name means actually "keen/audacious/bold counselor."
  • healer is a bit off. i have looked into shamanism but it does not seem to be for me. i have not looked into reiki stuff. i do have a -little- energy awareness. its just that i have not touched enough girls to know if they dont have cancer because of me.
  • i do like the label architect, because i have a sort of a blue print mind, albeit i seem to prefer reverse engineering to creation.
  • mastermind does not work for me. but i have labeled myself chief-ideologue at times :evil:
  • crafter scares the shit out of me. i dont want to be wasted in a treadmill
  • composer - hm ... i guess i have composed some stuff. i used to have an obsession with communicating identity through clothing or hairstyle, but not so much anymore. my creations in this area have been fairly insane. not something people would adore. also not very skillful technically. i implement the idea and run around with that stage of production, not minding that the details are not done.

from the ipersonic list:

• dreamy idealist sucks big time. i am not a dreamer. i am just sitting there behind the window with wide open mouth, looking into the rain. because i am trying to own the fabric of reality.
  • harmony seeking idealist - would have been appealing at some point if i did not know, that it better describes introverted feeling people.
  • sensitive doer is nice, except for the doing part.
  • independent thinker hits my spot, except for the thinking part.
  • analytical thinker .... i like to believe that i have empathy for reality which is a synthetic process in my eyes. but still the product is sort of an equivalent to analysis. sounds a bit like reverse engineering ...

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The term used by Berens/Nardi is “Harmonizer” for INFP wherein others would consider you a “Clarifier” (which you most likely don’t see or relate to).
The latter word reminds me of the statement used in describing the Fi function, “some things just have to be said”. I can see the Analyzer in myself, however would never have considered myself an Operator, until I looked up it’s denotation. Since it’s one of those words with ambiguous meanings, there are certain parts of the definition that do fit.
Actually, Clarifier I like....Harmonizer, I don't so much.
Clarifying, is getting to the heart of the situation, which is very me, and I like that connotation about clarifying meaning, (or translating).

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
how i relate to them ....

• counselor would be okay for me. my first name is actually keen/audacious/bold counselor.
  • That could be describing Foreseer/Developer under Berens/Nardi, although you seem to see the boldness in you.
    [*]healer is a bit off.

from the ipersonic list:

• dreamy idealist sucks big time. i am not a dreamer. i am just sitting there behind the window with wide open mouth, because i am trying to own the fabric of reality.
    • harmony seeking idealist - would have been appealing at some point if i did not know, that it better describes introverted feeling people.
    • sensitive doer is nice, except for the doing part.
    • intedpendent thinker hits my spot, except for the thinking part.
    • analytical thinker .... i like to believe that i have empathy for reality which is a synthetic process in my eyes. but still the product is sort of an equivalent to analysis. sounds a bit like reverse engineering ...
    What about Harmonizer Clarifier or Harmonizer Catalyst?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
>Harmonizer Clarifier or Harmonizer Catalyst?

hm. about my understanding of the word harmony:

the value of harmony: paying tender attention to the needs of an individuals emotionality, thus having ideals about interaction that do not ever cut into personal space. this is the harmony of the socionics INFJ (FiNe) or probably just as well of socioncs isfj (FiSe).

it's not my thing, i guess.

naturalist:

i am afraid that the term "naturalist" is associated with plant loving and knowing all their names. i know none and have ignored the green for most of my live. now i like nature, but i still could not care less, about how photosynthesis works in detail or how they are called in books. i think such interest intro various natural details/anectodes could be better handeled by extroverted intuition. so maybe the ENFP is the best candidate for the classic meaning of "naturalist", as far as i know this meaning correctly.

if i had to re-define harmony, so i can relate to it better .. i would rather just replace it with a redefined version of naturalist:

i would like to attribute the word to myself, if it would refer tho the big picture of things like character and growth, evolution. just as introverted-feeling, my vision is introverted, so it's valuing (noticing! recognizing!) an entities intrinsic way over the way of external interests. but since it is intuitive, it is not restricted to human emotionality, but concerned with all patterns of process, and thus an entity that is subjected to this introverted concern does not have to be an emotional individual, it could be a whole society as well or anything abstract.

catalyst is an interesting word, but maybe over the top. i cant just lay my hand on stuff, to make it grow. i can only facilitate its intrinsic interests.
so naturalist counselor or facilitator would be more modest.

i will look into the berens nardi stuff ...

pdf file http://aii.lgracegames.com/documents/MBTI_Pers.PDF
google html version of same pdf file: The 16 Personality Types by Linda V.Berens , Dario Nardi

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Fieldmarshal fits me all too well, if I let it. I try not to let it show too much in social situations, cuz it makes people think I'm an ass.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Healer does not really suit me. I can play that role, but it is not a defining word for me. I've seen INFP called "The Dreamer" and "The Idealist" and those terms hit at the core of who I am much more accurately.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
>Harmonizer Clarifier or Harmonizer Catalyst?

hm. about my understanding of the word harmony:

the value of harmony: paying tender attention to the needs of an individuals emotionality, thus having ideals about interaction that do not ever cut into personal space. this is the harmony of the socionics INFJ (FiNe) or probably just as well of socioncs isfj (FiSe).

it's not my thing, i guess.
har⋅mo⋅nize
1. to bring into harmony, accord, or agreement: to harmonize one's views with the new situation.

–verb (used without object)
2. to be in agreement in action, sense, or feeling: Though of different political parties, all the delegates harmonized on civil rights.

if i had to re-define harmony, so i can relate to it better .. i would rather just replace it with a redefined version of naturalist:

i would like to attribute the word to myself, if it would refer tho the big picture of things like character and growth, evolution. just as introverted-feeling, my vision is introverted, so it's valuing (noticing! recognizing!) an entities intrinsic way over the way of external interests. but since it is intuitive, it is not restricted to human emotionality, but concerned with all patterns of process, and thus an entity that is subjected to this introverted concern does not have to be an emotional individual, it could be a whole society as well or anything abstract.
So there is no question that you prefer INFJ to INFP? Vicky Jo is a practitioner that follows Berens’ philosophy. She and her husband have set up websites INFJ.COM and INTJ.COM. She has also set up a webpage distinguishing INF types. It may be helpful if there is any doubt. I don’t think most INFJs confuse themselves as INFP (and maybe the same in reversal). Since INFJs share the “Chart the Course” interaction style with ISTJ, INTJ and ISTP, they see themselves being much more conceptual and probably confuses themselves as thinking types (especially male INFJs). INFPs in my opinion, are much more laid back and this may be indicative of their “Behind the Scenes” interaction style similar to ISFJ, INTP and ISFP.
catalyst is an interesting word, but maybe over the top. i cant just lay my hand on stuff, to make it grow. i can only facilitate its intrinsic interests.
so naturalist counselor or facilitator would be more modest.
cat⋅a⋅lyst

1. something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected.
2. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change: His imprisonment by the government served as the catalyst that helped transform social unrest into revolution.
3. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Actually, Clarifier I like....Harmonizer, I don't so much.
Clarifying, is getting to the heart of the situation, which is very me, and I like that connotation about clarifying meaning, (or translating).
If you are definite about your NF temperament, then maybe you should look at the INF webpage that I referred Nanook to above. However I am unsure of your gender, but if Female, you could be dismissing INTP as your type due to gender expectations. Just my thoughts. However based on what you are saying and the fact that you are comfortable with being NF, you sound more like someone who prefers Directing to Informing to influence others and Movement to controlling when focusing your attention during interaction. You could be a "Chart the Course" type:
The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this style focus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.
as opposed to a “Behind the Scenes” type:
The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Healer does not really suit me. I can play that role, but it is not a defining word for me. I've seen INFP called "The Dreamer" and "The Idealist" and those terms hit at the core of who I am much more accurately.
This is the first time that I have paid attention to what other temperaments thought about Keirsey's work. I have always known that he did a poor job on SPs, but it sounds as though NF types have some resistance as well.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Doesn't quite fit. I obviously don't build physical things. I don't have a drive to make things. Mentally it fits better, but still a little off. I construct a model of the universe in my head. But I'm not designing it, I'm replicating the universe internally. It's as if I'm solving a complicated jigsaw puzzle in my head. Each piece is gathered by Ne, and put together by Ti.

LII Analyst fits me better (like how I over-analyzed "Architect").

To be an architect is not about building things. It's about creating ideas for other people to build. :p

The architect is just the guy coming up with the sketch.

But see, I don't feel like I'm creating ideas, I'm finding ideas.

Yep, I see it the same way as Costrin.

I think "the thinker" suit the INTP more.

I don't think that quite captures it. And now I'm all self-concious about saying 'I think'.

'Knowledge seeker' or 'Seeker of understanding' (I was gonna type 'Understanderer' but that's a truly godawful word) is kinda closer at capturing it. What always drives me, as Costrin said earlier, is to have a replica of the entire universe inside my head, at all scales, from the present all the way back to the Big Bang, and capturing every nuance of the world around me, people, politics, science, psychology, ecology, cosmology, everything.

There are probably some minor aspects of 'Architect' in my current job but that's kind of a side-effect of wanting to know how everything works behind the scenes.

at intp Analytical Thinker (AT)

I can live with 'Analytical Thinker'. It's better than 'Architect' IMO, but still doesn't quite capture the extreme need for new knowledge.

Edit: btw, interesting thread.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think the problem with the INTP archetype is that it's hard to come up with a name that accounts for both Ti and Ne. 'Analytical Thinker' would be too Ti, and 'Architect' too Ne, though I guess Ti would be included.

I like The Articulator, but I'm not sure that's a word. Spell Check sure doesn't seem to think so.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I think the problem with the INTP archetype is that it's hard to come up with a name that accounts for both Ti and Ne. 'Analytical Thinker' would be too Ti, and 'Architect' too Ne, though I guess Ti would be included.

Good point. I tend to be fairly Ti-heavy, less Ne, so maybe that's why Architect doesn't really resonate. (with the usual caveat that this is assuming I've typed myself correctly)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i think architect is a pretty perfect metaphor for the true dichotomy perceiver (NiTe)
except the metaphor of a building lacks dynamic, but if you look at a bridge the process tension becomes apparent. a building is also a big picture which is the creative key for the possible involution of unmanifested story (compare with how science fiction stories live through a single idea-see isaac assivmov), as opposed to a long specific series/story/twisted plot, as Ne likes them. a building is like an ideology to the visionary, as it gives character to a future town. the Te structure facilitates the birth of the vision. the vision is always in the birth stage, at the definition of it's intrinsic character, untouched by the externally imposed complications to it's further manifestation.

@ "?" any reply would be a deep socionics/mbti discussion .. seems too off-topic for this thread.
maybe some day later, i will feel like adding some of the notes, that came up around this thread/dialoge so far, to my blog

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, I see Mastermind and I think, "Hmm, well, I mean, I guess I like the board game..."

And then Bestfittype has 'Conceptualizer Directors' which is just... a mouthful.

Lifeexplore has 'Free-Thinker,' which I guess would be okay but it makes me think of free-range chickens, so I only give it a 6/10.

They cannot seem to adequately describe INTJs. 'Tis a shame.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the ENTPs should be "crazy nut case"