User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Opposite 1st and 4th dominant functions.

I was wondering if types with opposite 1st and 4th dominant functions would be likely to misunderstand and distrust each other more than other types with opposite functions appearing in any other hierachy.

I'm an INTP (1st Ti and 4th Fe). I do understand Fe but both using it and receiving it exhausts me quickly so my understanding probably doesn't equal the same genuine joy and appreciation as ESFJs/ENFJs (1st Fe and 4th Ti) experience when using and receiving Fe.

I could imagine ESFJs/ENFJs experience the same when using Ti. An understanding combined with a "cool function...great to use if you wish to analyze... but so what?" Perhaps it is the understanding combined with a relative lack of appreciation which can seem offensive. Sort of like - "You disregard what I value the most!".

Below, I listed types with 1st and 4th opposite dominant functions. It was the Fe threads which made me wonder if it the dominant presence of INTPs on this board had anything to do with Fe being disregarded. I also wonder if other types experience the same with their 1st and 4th function opposite types.

Te/Fi
    ENTJ/ESTJ: 1st Te 4th Fi.
    INFP/ISFP: 1st Fi 4th Te.

Ti/Fe
    INTP/ISTP: 1st Ti 4th Fe.
    ENFJ/ESFJ: 1st Fe 4th Ti.

Se/Ni
    ESTP/ESFP: 1st Se 4th Ni.
    INTJ/INFJ: 1st Ni 4th Se.

Si/Ne
    ISTJ/ISFJ: 1st Si 4th Ne.
    ENTP/ENFP: 1st Ne 4th Si.
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

MBTI
    INFP

I find using my Te hard, infact at times I doubt I even have it.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I use Fe decently and actually enjoy it now... but it has taken me a long time to get to this point (twenty years ago, it would almost make me vomit when I had to deal with ESFJ types for too long).

And even now, if I use it or are immersed in it too much, it starts to feel "wrong" to me, or hollow. I guess Ti is just in there chipping away at it.

Anyway, it can be developed, but it's just not as comfortable as my stronger functions.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I find using my Te hard, infact at times I doubt I even have it.
    How do you feel about Ti in comparison to Te?
    I understand and make pretty good use of both Fi and Fe but while I enjoy using Fi, Fe exhausts me.
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I definitely dislike using Se, although I'm strongly aware of it. It's like "Yeah, I see the blue sky, I smell the flowers, who cares, it's boring?"

Interestingly, I value my tertiary a bit more than that, although INTP's still seem slightly miffed when I say that Ti is a form of analysis, since they see it as an ideal rather than a method of comprehension. (Never understood that part.)

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    I was wondering if types with opposite 1st and 4th dominant functions would be likely to misunderstand and distrust each other more than other types with opposite functions appearing in any other hierachy.

I'm an INTP (1st Ti and 4th Fe). I do understand Fe but both using it and receiving it exhausts me quickly so my understanding probably doesn't equal the same genuine joy and appreciation as ESFJs/ENFJs (1st Fe and 4th Ti) experience when using and receiving Fe.
    I think this depends on whose seccession you prescribe to. Lenore Thomson and others think that for an INTP, the secession goes as Ti-Ne-Fi-Se, with Si and Fe being 7th and 8th respectively.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    How do you feel about Ti in comparison to Te?
    I understand and make pretty good use of both Fi and Fe but while I enjoy using Fi, Fe exhausts me.

I'm not sure, I still haven't got the hang of this all to be honest, I wouldn't even know what using Ti would feel like to make a comparison.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I'm not sure, I still haven't got the hang of this all to be honest, I wouldn't even know what using Ti would feel like to make a comparison.
    Just look at the world and assess things without placing any values ("good/bad") on your answer. You just want to model the "nature of things" as in its true name/definition, not its value per se.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

I notice my Ti when I'm working with my INFP boss. Her Te becomes obvious also.

I don't even know how to describe it...we're working on a problem and she is very A, B, C, D and I'm trying to take the problem apart. She's older than me so her Te is more mature than my Ti and so I look like a novice (at least I think I do). That's the only time I recognize using Ti. If it pops out at any other times it just does and I don't know it's happening. Hopefully the trail of dead in it's wake won't scare off any potential friends.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I use Fe decently and actually enjoy it now... but it has taken me a long time to get to this point (twenty years ago, it would almost make me vomit when I had to deal with ESFJ types for too long).

And even now, if I use it or are immersed in it too much, it starts to feel "wrong" to me, or hollow. I guess Ti is just in there chipping away at it.

Anyway, it can be developed, but it's just not as comfortable as my stronger functions.
    Skill and will, I think many INTPs have a decent amount of the first part but not the last part - perhaps because using the function doesn't make logically sense to them.
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1