User Tag List

123 Last

Lightbulb Hypothesis about Ti vs. Te writing styles

So I concocted this theory in the shower while thinking about something Einstein wrote in one of his books (not relevant):

It seems like the Te factual writing style resembles essay form: Thesis, Supporting evidence, Conclusion, all organized into one tight package.

But Ti reads more like a chapter in a Math or Science book: Factoid, example, Hypothesis, Theorem, Corollary...not particularly leading anywhere, but a bunch of information in chunks that you can basically take in any order.

What do you think?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

True for me.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    I

True for me too, I strongly support the Te writing style.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I can actually agree, now that you mention it. I find when I write, my statements and points will be rather amorphous and non-temporal. They're self-contained. Each argument can hold a portion of the "essence" of the theme and point of the whole paragraph by itself.

Interesting observation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I'm so Ti is hurts, but I write in both. Each style of thinking/presenting information has a context and an appropriate usage. They also both make logical sense to me, and I value both. Depends on the information/problem at hand personally.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
    I'm so Ti is hurts, but I write in both. Each style of thinking/presenting information has a context and an appropriate usage. They also both make logical sense to me, and I value both. Depends on the information/problem at hand personally.
    This is also true. Different arguments and points can necessitate different styles. I remember my lab abstracts, procedures, and results discussions tended to be very Te in structure, but when concluded there would tend to be more exposition and less linear writing.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I find when I write, my statements and points will be rather amorphous and non-temporal. They're self-contained. Each argument can hold a portion of the "essence" of the theme and point of the whole paragraph by itself.
    Yep I definitely relate to this, and also agree with Ygolo's hypothesis.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Probably why I do better with the essay format than the textbook format.. hmm, it could be true.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

When I write serious posts here, I'll start by getting information out and then organizing the ideas based on some logical order. When I'm about 3/4 of the way into my post, I'll stop and see a new organization that's more comprehensive, and then rewrite. That happens about 2-4 times. At the end of that process, I'll either go with what I have and reorganize some of the sentences or paragraphs, or just write the whole thing from scratch one time. I only do this when I wrote a post that at least 3 full paragraphs long.

So I guess my answer would be no, I don't do that, or that I apply a filter at the end of the "Ti" process.

MBTI
    INXP

if I'm writing a paper (something I often do with work) it'll go.. background, facts, main issues, conclusions, summary. It's well structured.

I think that it's learned though and my natural preference would be more chaotic.