User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Call me a sensor
    Hmm, is that meant to be the ultimate insult around here?

@Azeroff - I think I see how your personality reflects a bit on the way I am. When I first came across MBTI, I was so confused as to whether I was an INTP or INFP. I could be completely objective about some things, analyze the world, or even formalize 'perfect' ideas. I was constantly rotating locks in my mind, trying to figure out the perfect combination to 'unlock' ideas. I locked myself in a room for two entire days just coming up with the thesis to my History IA. . .and it's qualities like these that make me think that I had an INTP in me.

The deciding factor which made me realize that I was an INFP was infact - my girlfriend. Deep down inside, I was a feeler, no matter how I portray myself as a Thinker outside. I guess it had to do with the social norm; Thinkers are normally more preferred for guys. My girlfriend, whom I loved very much (sadly we had to break up ), was quite adept at opening me up, making me feel happy. She did it so well that I trusted her, and that's not something I do very often. On the other hand, she liked not the person I portrayed outside, but the soft feeling guy inside. I don't know how she saw through me at first, but she did.

There are also other reasons I think I'm a F, I can hardly ever control my laughter. Once I'm at it, I'm hysterical. I read somewhere that NFs had a lot of imaginary friends when young - I did . My friends would never realize this, but when they're all drunk, I'm normally the one who takes care of them and makes sure they're all right. I'm softer than most of them are, but they don't realize it (I suspect it's due to my extremely low bass voice and formal language). Feelings really affect how I perform as well - if I feel like shit, I can't do shit. I would literally sit there and do nothing. The only solution. . . YUGIOH That show is awesome in bringing back old memories.

Hope this helps

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think in the simplest sense, an INFP will go with what feels right, and not see the need to explain or analyze the reasons for their decision - it just makes sense to them. An INTP on the other hand will question every detail down to zero, not being satisfied until they have ALL of the available information and have exhausted all possibilities.

An INFP's decisions are very subjective, and fuzzy facts don't need to be fully understood to be accepted as truth. INTPs on the other hand are purely objective in their thinking. They have a need to question everything and decisions must make logical sense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I can relate too.

What I found decisive in this was the John Beebe archetype model. Analytical thinking has always been my default mode of judgment, but I did for whatever reason develop an inner emotional core. This provides a lot of good and bad feelings, but still, it is logic that has the final say, even if informed by the emotional sentiment.

When a totally opposite (eighth place) function like that is developed, it goes from playing a "destructive" role to a "transformative" one. Yet you'll still have a "default" dominant function, which will be the opposite pole, but in the same attitude.
    So both will appear to be strong and positive, and thus possibly "preferred". Yet one will be default, while the other will serve more to restore balance, particularly after a stressful situation.
    Others might even notice the latter first, and type you according to it. Thus you will teeter between both. But you have to look at which one is the default mode.
    Last edited by Eric B; 04-13-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    See, now was that so hard ?
    Yes
    Putting feelings into words is actually pretty difficult
    further INTP proof

Quote Originally Posted by Gengar View Post
    The deciding factor which made me realize that I was an INFP was infact - my girlfriend. Deep down inside, I was a feeler, no matter how I portray myself as a Thinker outside. I guess it had to do with the social norm; Thinkers are normally more preferred for guys. My girlfriend, whom I loved very much (sadly we had to break up ), was quite adept at opening me up, making me feel happy. She did it so well that I trusted her, and that's not something I do very often. On the other hand, she liked not the person I portrayed outside, but the soft feeling guy inside. I don't know how she saw through me at first, but she did.
    I can relate to this.

An ex of mine did the same except in a more destructive way. I got to know myself better and understood my own feelings more though. Even T types have feelings at the core btw . However I can sometimes hide them completely, even from myself for the sake of logic.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

i would propose that the significant difference is most likely to be found in the past, in your development of skills during live.

that seems to be the best approach for me, when I want to figure out, whether i am NiFe or NiTe. it seems pretty obvious, then. if i would wonder about the present self, that shows up when a keyboard is in front of me, it would be much harder to tell, which one it is ...

might be more complicated if you are actually pondering between TiNe and FiNe ...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Whats the difference?

a huge one!

I was an INTP (might still be who knows) and my sis is an INFP.
    Where like twins except i'm 18 months older.

Theres a huge difference when those types are young.
    INTPs are smart, cold, quiet and at times extremely daring and outright shocking.
    INFPs are also quiet but eager to please and help people and be a mother figure as well as being a bit quirkey and playful.

As to an INFP who believes in being logical they will probably be a sort of philosophical "greater good" type. Not sure if they would be like any other type though.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    INFP

I love to think and learn to think better, but when the logical thinking gets too abstract or complicated, I always say, "OK, that's enough thinking," before my brain explodes. Then I go back to whatever feels like it fits for me until I have the energy to work at thinking again. (And no matter how logical I may learn to be ... I still sob uncontrollably at the symphony. How utterly embarrassing.)
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    Whats the difference?

a huge one!

I was an INTP (might still be who knows) and my sis is an INFP.
    Where like twins except i'm 18 months older.

Theres a huge difference when those types are young.
    INTPs are smart, cold, quiet and at times extremely daring and outright shocking.
    INFPs are also quiet but eager to please and help people and be a mother figure as well as being a bit quirkey and playful.

As to an INFP who believes in being logical they will probably be a sort of philosophical "greater good" type. Not sure if they would be like any other type though.
    See, your INFP description does not sound like me at all. The idea of being a mother figure makes me want to puke. I disliked kids even when I was a child. I was not, and am not, eager to please either. I'm really more interested in seeing my own visions fulfilled. As a child I was quirky & playful, but more daring than pleasing. I was very smart & did exceptionally well in school. I sound more like an INTP in your analysis.

I am 100% sure now that I am INFP though. I test INTP quite often, and the percentage of my Fi ends up bordeline when I do test INFP, however, I think the tests have some bias as to what F is. Being a feeler does not mean you are a "warm" & "emotional" person as society defines it. I think INFPs in person may come off as INTPs with people who have that idea of Fi. We're just these lovable hippies who want to make everyone feel good :rolli:.

I'm really less concerned with other's feelings than my own. My feelings filter the things I take in and toss out what doesn't fit my values. My values are formed through experience and how that experience makes me feel. So if a new fact is presented to me, and I have no feeling towards it, I can consider it without bias. However, if I have a negative feeling, then I will find something to cancel that "fact" out. I realize how well I am able to twist things to fit my view. I do it so well I can even influence other people with my feeling "logic" .

Someone posted these links on globalchatter which really clarified Ti vs. Fi for me:

Ti: infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introverted Thinking-Type"

Fi: infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introvert of Feeling-Type"

"they are likely to exhibit violent resentment if circumstances do not correspond to their feelings, and it then seems to them that harshness and indifference prevail in the world."

I think this cynicism that results in some INFPs can lead to a sardonic humor and cool exterior that throws people off as to their Fi. That can be the case with myself at times. If you were to ask my family if I am an emotional, feeling person they would laugh pretty hard.

"They still in their innermost being believe implicitly in what their feelings tell them. Even if they are not able to express it clearly in words, they are inwardly quite certain as to what accords with them and what does not. Outwardly, their feelings are not very obvious, for when these are affected, these people tend to withdraw into themselves, and if they do express anything, it will only be much later, after they have had time to work it all over within themselves."

INFPs wear a mask with others, and we don't show our feelings very much. Some of us may wear an INTP mask
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    "they are likely to exhibit violent resentment if circumstances do not correspond to their feelings, and it then seems to them that harshness and indifference prevail in the world."

I think this cynicism that results in some INFPs can lead to a sardonic humor and cool exterior that throws people off as to their Fi. That can be the case with myself at times. If you were to ask my family if I am an emotional, feeling person they would laugh pretty hard.

"They still in their innermost being believe implicitly in what their feelings tell them. Even if they are not able to express it clearly in words, they are inwardly quite certain as to what accords with them and what does not. Outwardly, their feelings are not very obvious, for when these are affected, these people tend to withdraw into themselves, and if they do express anything, it will only be much later, after they have had time to work it all over within themselves."

INFPs wear a mask with others, and we don't show our feelings very much. Some of us may wear an INTP mask
    i think this is a really well conceived distinction you are making here. like in the five factor model, being an infp has nothing to do with the openness rating of the personality trait system (i know infps ranging from extremely open to extremely masked. it has so much to do with the SPECIFICITY of one's ideals and their relationship to the external environment, their upbringing/development, etc). it means you have extremely strong resonating emotional tones to different experiences that you use to organize and prepare your Judgment System internally. you use subjective experiences and their affective colour more than you use abstracted systems of representation (ie logic, language, theoretical systems, typology, etc) to understand situations, weigh them out, and make decisions.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Maybe I can help. One of my "values", or at least purposes in life, is trying to understand the world and other people. I'll often apply my own brand of reasoning to this question - "fuzzy" logic if you will. I often just "know" something, without being able to objectively break down exactly why. I often avoid showing this to others, though, because it makes me feel vulnerable. My feelings about something are something I protect, so I can often come across as logical just because I don't show others that side of myself. It tempers my interaction with others, but rarely surfaces.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)