User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

[after a long time....]
    So should we call the cognitive functions a label of our ignorance, or a heurstic to understand how we operate?
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    There's a difference between describing how the "perfect theory" works (when people ask) and actually believing it holds true for all situations at all times.

Reading your post, I realize actually I use the thing in a more generalized sense as well, just as you've described. I've already been making those adjustments and operate more like the poker-player example. I can guess at motivations but there is no concrete certain indicator of everything, it's more a matter of building a complicated mental model in such a way that it's strongest / doesn't fall apart (i.e., conclusion by inference), and usually only general conclusions can be drawn. And new data always trumps theory; the theory has to be strong or broad enough to accommodate new input.

It's also why i shy away from typing people in general or typing public figures. Without extensive knowledge of their behavior + talking to them directly, there's no way to get inside the Black Box of Motivations and really know what drives the observable behavior.
    Jungian Ni.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    [after a long time....]
    So should we call the cognitive functions a label of our ignorance, or a heuristic to understand how we operate?
    Personally, I'd have to be feeling particularly generous to grant the latter.

I don't find MBTI/Keirsey so offensive when they talk about broad behavioural patterns of personality types as a whole, so long as they don't overstate their predictivity. MBTI is mostly useful just as a common language. (Let's be honest, MBTI is mostly 'stamp collecting'). But when you start breaking it down into 'Ne' etc as if these concepts have some sort of theoretical basis. Well it borders on BS for me.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

OMG someone who actually shares my theory of Jungian Cognitive Functions being a bullshit theory. Keirsey had it right all the way! Whoever banned him gtfo!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think it is FUCK HELL HILARIOUS that Simulated World made this thread. Later he became one of the most knowledgeable people you could ask about Jungian functions on a personality forum.

He must have been discouraged at first.

You know, I saw the most insane theory recently on another forum (not even personality forum, cultural preservation forum) that nearly 50 percent of the population are ENTPs. Supposedly this is based in "brain science." And then the person who started the thread tried to tell me I was an NT.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You know, I saw the most insane theory recently on another forum (not even personality forum, cultural preservation forum) that nearly 50 percent of the population are ENTPs. Supposedly this is based in "brain science." And then the person who started the thread tried to tell me I was an NT.
    No kidding. I can't even tell which theory is the craziest one.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    No kidding. I can't even tell which theory is the craziest one.
    I know, right?

According to them, if I was an F, I'd be more agreeable and stupid.

Oh, Internet.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    OMG someone who actually shares my theory of Jungian Cognitive Functions being a bullshit theory. Keirsey had it right all the way! Whoever banned him gtfo!
    Yeah, Raptor, Marm already mentioned it, but the person who started this thread became completely obsessed with cognitive function theory as he learned more about it and completely recanted the position he had previously expressed in this thread.

Ginkgo

My first tally mark.

Bless his little heart.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so