User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Somehow very little is lost in translation. I think you kinda summed it up.
    Ouch Ni at work.... perhaps for all this time I was debating MBTI while you guys were really debating.... that's so sick :steam:.

...I feel so violated.
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

Lightbulb Fe = superego for many?

I read your post again ygolo, and it is really well put. I also understand the role of perception and why it's relevant. If someone happens to be confronted with some particular negative trait, it makes sense for them to have heightened awareness and distrust of that trait. Whatever aspects of their environment produced the initial problems are likely to reproduce the same scenarios. In one way prejudices help people filter down threats to those they are most likely to encounter. This probably is more effective when one's environment remains small and consistent. It's when prejudice is applied in a more universal context that it creates bigger problems than it originally attempted to solve.

Your comment is hugely thoughtful and appreciated and goes a long way to bypass the regular work to stay balanced on the tightrope of thought. I can't say this applies to all Fe, but unfortunately it requires constant mindfulness to not absorb negativity whether it is directed personally or not. I find the worst is constant, consistent negativity that wears down my Fe. Repetition tends to make negativity 'feel' true, even if the mind fights it logically.

I have observed/experienced these things. My former therapist with the wooden leg can tell you all about it. Regarding looking for examples from myself, i will say this: there is no one else on earth who has ever been on the receiving end of my "Fe tyranny" as I have been. That is why what i feel is not who i am. As far as others are concerned, I am duly crowned Madame Mishap.

I consider that i benefitted as well and appreciate many positive aspects to my upbringing exactly as it was.
    I've been away from the forum for a while (to make sure I got some work done). But I wanted to clarify some things, especially with regards to the notion of "power" or "tyranny".

Consider this description of the Fe cognitive process.

Extraverted Feeling

Everybody has this process to some extent. What other cognitive processes inform Fe and how much free-reign it is given depends on the person. In Freudian terms, this description is almost a match for the "superego".

Definition of superego - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

I don't think the descriptions of the other functions have quite as straight forward an analogy to Freud's theories. Fi doesn't really match the "id", Ti and Te are not really connected to desires per say. The percieving functions just percieve.

compare
    Definition of id - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    to
    Introverted Feeling

I think the Fe to super-ego correspondence is about as close to a match between Jungs cognitive processes and Frued's divisions of the psyche as we will find.

One key difference (depending on the person), is how conscious the Fe function is. Technically, the superego is unconcious, but Fe may be a conscious process for some people.

Now imagine a person for whom Fe is unconsious, and I am claiming Fe is a good match for his/her superego. Then you would find his/her id (composed of many functions) rebeling against Fe, and perhaps the people he/she feels has "control" of this process in a particular setting. This person may or may not be an Fe dominant/auxillary person, but nevertheles the pressure to conform to them would come from Fe.

For me, this is a source of distrust of Fe (as a cognitive process), but not necessarily of Fe's (as people who prefer the Fe process for dominant or auxillary functioning).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Ouch Ni at work.... perhaps for all this time I was debating MBTI while you guys were really debating.... that's so sick :steam:.

...I feel so violated.
    LOL

Farting or feeling, thinking or peeing, you say po-tay-toe, I say po-tah-toe. There are definitely some metaphors at work here. Whee!

And ygolo, i'll get back to your post, but want to give it due thought.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Fe is more detached and therefore has more potential to be "fake" and used for manipulation. However, without Fe most of the NFs would be sad and most of the SJs would be confused.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I've been away from the forum for a while (to make sure I got some work done). But I wanted to clarify some things, especially with regards to the notion of "power" or "tyranny".

Consider this description of the Fe cognitive process.

Extraverted Feeling

Everybody has this process to some extent. What other cognitive processes inform Fe and how much free-reign it is given depends on the person. In Freudian terms, this description is almost a match for the "superego".

Definition of superego - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

I don't think the descriptions of the other functions have quite as straight forward an analogy to Freud's theories. Fi doesn't really match the "id", Ti and Te are not really connected to desires per say. The percieving functions just percieve.

compare
    Definition of id - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    to
    Introverted Feeling

I think the Fe to super-ego correspondence is about as close to a match between Jungs cognitive processes and Frued's divisions of the psyche as we will find.

One key difference (depending on the person), is how conscious the Fe function is. Technically, the superego is unconcious, but Fe may be a conscious process for some people.

Now imagine a person for whom Fe is unconsious, and I am claiming Fe is a good match for his/her superego. Then you would find his/her id (composed of many functions) rebeling against Fe, and perhaps the people he/she feels has "control" of this process in a particular setting. This person may or may not be an Fe dominant/auxillary person, but nevertheles the pressure to conform to them would come from Fe.

For me, this is a source of distrust of Fe (as a cognitive process), but not necessarily of Fe's (as people who prefer the Fe process for dominant or auxillary functioning).
    Interesting post. I am curious to read a bit more about the relationship between Jung and Freud. There is one since Jung is one of the sheep that left the fold so to speak. I know they interpret dreams differently. Freud's structure of the personality does not explore any differentiation between individuals while Jungs is based on that, as i'm sure you know, but it is an interesting contrast. You are right that the super-ego and id are both the source of problems when they are out of balance. The ego is the regulating system between the instinctual aggression of the id and the social responsibility of the super-ego. It is realistic and rational. (i wonder if you could even compare it to the T functions for this?)

On a related, but different note, I do agree that when the sense of individual and community come out of balance suffering is the result. This could be part of this tyranny of Fe you talk about. When the individual is completely dissolved into the group or when the individual expects the group to bend to their sole vision, there is often resulting suffering. Some of the greatest travesties occur when the individuals submit their wills to the group, absolving themselves of personal responsibility and giving over to mob mentality. History is littered with this phenomenon. On a contrasting note, there are examples when an entire town helps to sandbag river beds or help out in a disaster. This aspect of human nature is extremely powerful and fleeting. An entire community can be transformed from angels to devils based solely on the wind of circumstance. It is what terrifies me most about humanity.

From a different perspective regarding my own experience, my internalizing of negativity to a destructive point occurred primarily during adolescence and was continually fought off through my twenties. (Admittedly certain negative patterns require mindfulness throughout a lifetime once set into a habit.) The frontal lobe does not generally complete its development until physical growth is completed around age 18. Since the frontal lobe is the judgment center of the brain which regulates excesses of emotion and such, it is the tool required to safeguard these destructive overloads (possibly comparable to Freud's ego?) This is why it is more difficult for teenagers to regulate themselves. Anyway, YAY for frontal lobes!
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

heart on fire

Jung lost respect for Freud because of Freud's deceptive infidelity, that's part of their split that had nothing to do with their professional lives.

heart on fire

Growing up their emotional pain and self esteem issues resulted in my being expected to hide any aspect of myself that would conflict with that. If i won an award at school, I knew to shut up about it or be guilty of causing them to question their self esteem.
    That's interesting. I have been made to feel the same way by my Fe mother when I was a child and my Fe MIL and SIL now as an adult (They do the same to my husband). Lots of emotional blackmail and also many sharp/abusive/hurtful comments (or worse in my mother's case) coming out as if from their shadow and then hotly denied later on OR blamed on my having "pushed" their buttons or my "selfishness". Very crazy making before one reaches the age where they know what is really going on.

My mother in particular accused me of being "arrogant", thinking I was "better" than she was, being cold, not loving her, thinking I was "smarter" than she was. She would tell me I was stupid, too dreamy, cold, weak etc. Then she would cry, insist on hugging me and slather on the really heavy Fe later and say she was sorry but that my arrogance aloofness had *drove* her to it, then demand some Fe from me in return. I could not draw a breath without offending her it seemed sometimes!

In the case of your Fi family, was it vocal on their parts or more implied? The Fe I knew were very vocal about it.

I was generally seen as the strongest, the one who could most easily adapt and bend to create the peace and such.
    That's where the similarity ends. They see me as much weaker than they are/were and have no problems patting themselves on the back about that and being super condesending to me about it. They assume/assumed that they make all the compromises in the relationships. ( I am talking about what I consider to be underdeveloped Fe, not Fe in general)

I also have an Fi sister who says she can never forgive me because I am my mother's daughter. That's it, no mercy on me for something I can never change and had no choice in. To me that's a real example of underdeveloped Fi.

I see emotions as fleeting, as similar to physical sensations of sickness and pleasure. They are like the weather gradually carving and restructuring the bedrock and cliffs of the internal terrain. Emotions happen to me, they impact me, but they are not me. I can look at them like external objects even when experiencing the emotion. They intrigue me like mysterious complex puzzles that are enlightening to solve. I can completely disregard my emotions if the situation requires it. I also have some measure of distrust in emotion because in extremes it does block thinking. I embrace emotion for their experience and meaning, but keep them at arms length in case they blur one's ability to perceive clearly and have a coherent understanding.
    As Fi I can say the same, my raw emotions are not me, like anger, saddness, fear, yes those are fleeting etc, I also find them intriquing and something to anaylze and solve their root causes. I don't trust an unexamined emotional response.

My beliefs and values and my feelings about them are very important to my sense of self.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The ego is the regulating system between the instinctual aggression of the id and the social responsibility of the super-ego. It is realistic and rational. (i wonder if you could even compare it to the T functions for this?)
    I have been considering basic Freud personality construction recently, Toonia, and my perception of the ego was more of an Fi than a T. (So it is still rational -- a judging function.)

Ego = Sense of self... and the mediator as you say between the id, the superego, and the outer world / external reality [the last part is important!] Fi is what really seems to lend someone a sense of self, values, personal boundaries, etc.

I determined that my ego is very very weak or almost non-existent, which is why I don't know "who I am" most of the time. Instead, I have virtually been following the demands of the superego, my inner police captain, who tells me what I should and should not do and instills guilt at any time when I deviate from it.

So I am in the process of building a healthy ego -- a sense of "me" and my needs and boundaries -- and relegating the superego back to where it belongs... as a point of advice to help guide, but not dictate, my decisions and arrangements with the outer world.

Some of the greatest travesties occur when the individuals submit their wills to the group, absolving themselves of personal responsibility and giving over to mob mentality. History is littered with this phenomenon.
    Mai Lai being one of them... (But I suppose Charles Manson will do as well.)

On a contrasting note, there are examples when an entire town helps to sandbag river beds or help out in a disaster. This aspect of human nature is extremely powerful and fleeting. An entire community can be transformed from angels to devils based solely on the wind of circumstance. It is what terrifies me most about humanity.
    So what is the catalyst? What is the thing that actively changes people from profane to profound or back again?

Anyway, YAY for frontal lobes!
    I have always been fond of my pancreas. (It's always been there for me, secreting those enzymes!)

To support heart, the rift between Freud and Jung seemed to me to be a more personal issue than professional, with Freud being the main culprit. Jung lost personal respect for Freud; and Freud was very domineering, always having to be in the "mentor" role and never subservient, so when Jung began to challenge him or simply promote his own ideas that did not support Freud per se, Freud took it personally and cut off ties. His life shows a pattern of that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

Posts about Freud/Jung's type moved here
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have always been fond of my pancreas. (It's always been there for me, secreting those enzymes!)
    Just stay away from the weasels and I won't have to hurt you.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers