• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Games and functions

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was thinking..the link that Blackcat posted recently, says that you can practice your Si by for instance playing 'Find Waldo', aside from other activities listed there. Now, I personally am way more motivated to try something I don't usually do if it's fun. So is it possible to come up with games which stimulate each function?

For instance, although I *can* use Te when I really really need to, I hate doing so, and as a result it doesn't come naturally to me. But I was wondering what game could..I guess encourage me to use it more. And thought that maybe Tetris might be good for Te development?

For those struggling with bodylanguage for Fe or Fi-improvement, those tests where you have to guess the emotion on the persons face, might be an idea, as well as that tvshow 'Lie to me'.

So does anyone have any other ideas?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I like strategy games of many kinds.

They are good for practicing Te. And many other functions (like Ni, Ne, Ti and Si)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Complexity is what I enjoy most in games. Complexity of any kind. If a game is too simple, I don't enjoy it.

Games with a luck factor can be fun, especially if bluffing is involved though. INTPs make great pokerfaces.

VagrantFarce

I love complex games as well, or games that at least try to be different from every other game out there. I don't really like strategy games, though. The decisions you have to make are either too drawn-out and simple, or too quick and complex (although I love strategy games that allow me to take my time, i.e. turn-based). The games I tend to love are ones that simply focus on learning the rules of the game, or at least allow you to learn them in your own time. Games I love are easy to get into, but promise complexity and new experiences somewhere down the road, and they allow me to get there at my pace and in my own way (so games like Deus Ex, Bioshock, Team Fortress 2).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I tend to fall asleep in complex or strategy games ;D

counterstrike_1024%5B1%5D.jpg

juggernaut

Permabanned
OP, you might find games like Harvest Moon or Pikmin kind of useful for developing Te. Granted, they're not as bloody and action-filled as some of the others of this type, but you have to organize entire little communities and/or resources to successfully accomplish the various goals within the games. This means you basically have to plan ahead, consider obstacles, and try to maximize efficiency. Being a weirdy mcweird E/INTJ, I really enjoy these kinds of games as they force you to calculate and recalculate constantly.

maliafee

I was thinking..the link that Blackcat posted recently, says that you can practice your Si by for instance playing 'Find Waldo', aside from other activities listed there. Now, I personally am way more motivated to try something I don't usually do if it's fun. So is it possible to come up with games which stimulate each function?

For instance, although I *can* use Te when I really really need to, I hate doing so, and as a result it doesn't come naturally to me. But I was wondering what game could..I guess encourage me to use it more. And thought that maybe Tetris might be good for Te development?

For those struggling with bodylanguage for Fe or Fi-improvement, those tests where you have to guess the emotion on the persons face, might be an idea, as well as that tvshow 'Lie to me'.

So does anyone have any other ideas?

I wonder if Tetris would be better for developing S functions... I have beat that game many times (yes, you can beat Tetris :D). Another good S-developer is Mario Brothers (1,2,3 and Mario World) for Ninendo (old school). Generally I hate/have trouble with non 2-D games except for car-racing games...

Someone said strategy games for T... probably! Because my Te is my weakest function and I'm awful at strategy games (I do like playing Chess, but am pretty poor at it, for example). Sometimes spending a lot of time with a person with strong Ti or Te is also helpful (I tested INTP as a teenager when I hung out a LOT with my INTJ brother).

Snow Turtle

Good way of practicing Si is recalling specific memories or emotions felt when crossing a particular place. That's pleasent itself...

Reminiscing is Si.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
OP, you might find games like Harvest Moon or Pikmin kind of useful for developing Te. Granted, they're not as bloody and action-filled as some of the others of this type, but you have to organize entire little communities and/or resources to successfully accomplish the various goals within the games. This means you basically have to plan ahead, consider obstacles, and try to maximize efficiency. Being a weirdy mcweird E/INTJ, I really enjoy these kinds of games as they force you to calculate and recalculate constantly.

Those are really fun for me. Even more fun (probably involving Fe) are the Sim games. All I'm waiting for is an "ultimate" Fe game in which you deal with "growing" societies and culture (Sim Societies tried to do this, but failed utterly). The civ games I've been exposed to don't seem to focus much on growing and forming the culture of the people directly...instead it seems to be done indirectly and as a side effect of more objective goals related to the mechanics of civilisation growth.

In some ways I could see the Myst games as very Ti/Ni-oriented. Lots of complex problem solving that involves linking concepts together and parts together.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would Civ also be Te?

deleted
Examples of games, or mindset of activity, that rely most heavily on a function:

Ni - Risk/Clue/Canasta/Yahtzee/Mama Mia/Jambo
Ne - Taboo/Balderdash/Scattergories/Myst/Sim City
Si - Warcraft/Diablo/Halo/Capture the Flag/Red Rover
Se - Tetris/Pong/Pacman/Wii-mote action games/Hide-n-seek
Fi - Silent Hill/Final Fantasy/Metal Gear Solid/Charades/Pictionary
Fe - The Sims/Life/Mother May I/RL social games like...Password/Cranium/Apples to Apples
Ti - Scrabble/Poker/Trivial Pursuit/Boggle/Balderdash(for a different reason if you catch my drift
evilgrin0039.gif
)
Te - Chess/Checkers/Qwirkle/Carcassonne/Dvonn/Football/Simon Says

If you induce these games to kids while they're extremely young, they will likely develop these function tendencies to a certain extent lol. Depends, though. Kids like games :) not all games.

If you become engulfed, the game will definitely help you with developing that function.

Would Civ also be Te?

Civ is Ne/Te.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Examples of games, or mindset of activity, that rely most heavily on a function:

Ni - Risk/Clue/Canasta/Yahtzee/Mama Mia/Jambo
Ne - Taboo/Balderdash/Scattergories/Myst/Sim City
Si - Warcraft/Diablo/Halo/Capture the Flag/Red Rover
Se - Tetris/Pong/Pacman/Wii-mote action games/Hide-n-seek
Fi - Silent Hill/Final Fantasy/Metal Gear Solid/Charades/Pictionary
Fe - The Sims/Life/Mother May I/RL social games like...Password/Cranium/Apples to Apples
Ti - Scrabble/Poker/Trivial Pursuit/Boggle/Balderdash(for a different reason if you catch my drift
evilgrin0039.gif
)
Te - Chess/Checkers/Qwirkle/Carcassonne/Dvonn/Football/Simon Says

Interesting list! (although I don't know what most of the games under Ni even are. Never heard of Mama Mia, Jambo, or Canasta. I really liked Settlers of Catan when I played it months ago...would that fall under Ni or somewhere else?)

I'm mostly into the Ti and Ne games from this list. I'm very much into Scrabble and Boggle, like Balderdash a lot but never have enough people to play it with, and growing up I loved Taboo and Scattergories. Oh, Ping-pong too. But I suck at ping-pong now. :smile:

I also like card games in general - hearts, Euker, stuff like that. Oh, cribbage!! Love cribbage. And Backgammon's all right too.

Apples to Apples is amusing light-hearted fun, and cranium was pretty fun the one time I played it, although I have to add that I shy away, and hate, any games that involve charade-like motifs. I hate getting up in front of people and acting things out. *shudder* Charades would be way too embarassing for me, and I would pretty much refuse to play. I can deal with Pictionary, but it's not my favorite because it means I have to get up in front of people.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
For all these games, it depends quite a bit on your playstyle, but anyway.... list (functions in no particular order):

Diplomacy - Ni, Fe, Te, Ti
StarCraft - Ne, Ti, Te
Quake - Se, Si, Ti, Ne
Pokemon - Ti, Ne, Ni
Chess - Te, Ni, Si

la dee dah

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
What would you guys say Go would be?
I'm thinking Te - Ti - Fi and possibly Ni.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Multiboxing in WoW is Ne+Ti. :p

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Graphic adventures are usually Ne playground.