User Tag List

123 Last

Default MTBI and genes! Forming a genetic theory...

I noticed that some of you have already tried to do this casually, but I want you to take it a step further.

Would some of you really, really *cough* smart NT's come up with a theory for me? Pretty please?

Assuming that type is genetic, come up with a little basic Bio 101 gene theory for me. Which of I/E-S/N-T/F-P/J traits are dominant (maybe even which ones are actually genetic and which ones shaped by environment)? How does it work?

I'll give you some of my own data (is it enough to theorize on?):

Paternal grandfather - ESTP
    Paternal grandmother - ISTJ

Children - ENTJ male, INTP male, ISFP male(my father), ENFJ female, ESFP female
    --
    My dad - ISFP
    My mom - INFJ

Children - ESTP male, INTJ male, ISFP female, ENTJ male
    --
    Uncle (father's brother) - ENTJ
    Aunt - ENTP

Children - ISFP male, ENTP female, ENFP female
    --
    Uncle (father's brother) - INTP
    Aunt - ISTJ

Child - INTJ male
    --
    Aunt (father's sister) - ENFJ
    Husband - ESFJ

Children - ISTP male, ISFP male, ISFJ male, ESFJ female
    ==
    My boyfriend's dad - ESFJ
    Mom - ENTJ

Children - ISFJ male, ISTJ female
    --

MBTI
    ENFP

From your data as far as I can determine, there is no dominance between E or I or S and N .. the only one that may have a dominance split is J and P but you would need to have the results of a couple, both Ps with children to determine and even then it may still be unclear. I could be totally wrong but if you wanted to analyse it for straightforward dominant and reccesive genes the answer is that they don't have any clear cuts but genetics is more complex than that so it doesn't suggest that your theoryis incorrect. there is also the issue of whether or not these people have been correctly typed
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

First of all, would you expect to see simple gene correlations between type? Personality is a complex thing... I don't believe you can isolate MBTI dichotomies... Based on the cognitive function theories, they cannot be. INTJ is not I + N + T + J... It is Ni Te. Of course this is assuming personality types have genetic basis... i.e. they are not artificial categories created by people. So far we have zero evidence the types aren't arbitrary created.

Second, your sample size is far too small. Even for something such as neuroticism... you need a sample of 50+ to do a decent correlation.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENFP

Yea we know it's just fun to try is all
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    First of all, would you expect to see simple gene correlations between type? Personality is a complex thing... I don't believe you can isolate MBTI dichotomies... Based on the cognitive function theories, they cannot be. INTJ is not I + N + T + J... It is Ni Te. Of course this is assuming personality types have genetic basis... i.e. they are not artificial categories created by people. So far we have zero evidence the types aren't arbitrary created.

Second, your sample size is far too small. Even for something such as neuroticism... you need a sample of 50+ to do a decent correlation.
    I know... you're right. It's totally functional, dang it.

But I'll keep collecting data (maybe someone can do it function-based)!

*gasp* ACTUALLY, I could make a thread whose sole purpose is to collect at least 50 +... I'm dangerously close to doing it. I'll do it! I swear, I'll do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild horses View Post
    Yea we know it's just fun to try is all
    Hehe, exactly.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

<scraps>

Actually, I forgot some family members. I've nothing to add here. >.>

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    What seems to be happening in my family is that J/P seems to skip generations.

Statement: P raised children are likely to become J. J raised children are likely to become P.

Would be interesting to see if that's common.
    My parents are both Js. It makes a lot of sense for education to shape who we become. But genetics...Sure, the ugliest individual in existence is likely to become an I of some sort, but I can't understand why genetics should have a say in how we think when we've reached adulthood. I have yet to hear/read a good theory promoting "nature" (VS nurture).

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    My parents are both Js. It makes a lot of sense for education to shape who we become. But genetics...Sure, the ugliest individual in existence is likely to become an I of some sort, but I can't understand why genetics should have a say in how we think when we've reached adulthood. I have yet to hear/read a good theory promoting "nature" (VS nurture).
    Read Blank Slate by Steven Pinker. It's an excellent argument. The nature-dominant theories are pretty outdated in the field of cognitive science, no offense.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Yeah I think, if I best look at me growing up, is that my INTP'ness is entirely nurtured.

Or lack thereof.

Quite frankly, me and my sister never got along. I never respected my parents as a kid. They freaking lied to me about Santa Clause's(Dutch:Sinterklaas) existance! ;P I can still remember how angry I was at my mother. Told her I was going to get another mother the next day in school. I was 4 at the time.

And there were a lot of things happening that I were driven towards understanding in thought. Death of my grandmother, our dog, why people lie, why people acted the way they acted. And I developped the ability to hide my own feelings quite well early on as well. I didn't want attention while I was secretly investigating for the answers I sought. I was a loner and an adventurer. And if I would ask this day to my mom what kind of kid I was like, she says: You were odd.

They have no clue. x)

I don't think that was genetic at all. But mostly based on how I learned to deal with my surroundings. And how I coped with life.

Do I regret it? Hell no.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Read Blank Slate by Steven Pinker. It's an excellent argument. The nature-dominant theories are pretty outdated in the field of cognitive science, no offense.
    Do you mean the nurture-dominant? Cause I believe in nurture.