• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Costrin and BlackCat's super duper typology overview (of doom)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds good so far.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So yeah. I've decided to do ISFP later, they just seem too complex and alien for me to make an accurate profile right now. I've been thinking about this a lot, I feel like I'm letting you people down by not doing it. But I'll save it for later. SPs are just very... weird for me to wrap my head around.

I'm thinking maybe ENTJ or INFJ for my next profiles, I'm leaning toward ENTJ (for personal reasons) since I want to understand them much more than I already do due to a romantic interest in them. :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
So yeah. I've decided to do ISFP later, they just seem too complex and alien for me to make an accurate profile right now. I've been thinking about this a lot, I feel like I'm letting you people down by not doing it. But I'll save it for later. SPs are just very... weird for me to wrap my head around.

:sorry:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So yeah. I've decided to do ISFP later, they just seem too complex and alien for me to make an accurate profile right now.

I don't know why but I find that funny.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
*attempts to start a chant*
We want type profiles! We want type profiles!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quinlan: Blackcat and I were talking about that yesterday. Fi directed towards Se puts a real mind bending twist to things. The similarities really make the differences tricky to navigate. Even though it's only one letter difference, I'd consider the ISFP profile 'advanced difficulty' if I were trying to write this. Why? Because I'd have to be VERY careful not to presume and read too much of myself in the profile.

Part of the challenge in ISFPs is that, of all the SPs, they are most likely to defy the SP characteristics.

Blackcat: I like the description. Another take: Fi tends to resonate with things, I've noticed. If it's a negative resonance (emotional, physical, or both), then Fi needs to get away from it or needs to fix it. Fi also resonates with the positive, and can go to great lengths to create that positive in others. We know we succeeded when we create a happiness or pleasure that in turn resonates with us... bringing things back full circle.

One of the major differences in ISFP and INFP is the type of things that our Fi resonates with. INFP tends to resonate with the abstract, the future, and with hidden emotions; whereas ISFP resonates with the situation presently before them, emotions and actions as they are observed through behavior, and the physical condition of someone they care for. In that regard, they are very practical in ways INFPs are not.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tried getting some more understanding of what confuses me about the SPs the most in this thread. No luck so far for understanding though, this is all that's holding the ISFP profile back.

@Udog- I added on to the description based on your input, that was something I didn't think of.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
~DESCRIPTION OF Fi FOR REFERENCE~

Fi is about value typically. This value is usually self centered, and it's about making the user feel good. These values can branch to other people, for example making it so if X person feels good then the Fi user will feel good as well as a result. Fi users are also granted the ability to know how someone is feeling (one way or another). With this ability the person may be able to see through other's intentions, or anything that you could have based on knowing the other's emotional state.

My theory about how all of this works is that Fi is a database of emotion within the person. You can take from this, add to it, look at it as a reference etc. This may be where "values" come to be, within this database. The person's emotional experiences and the emotions they have felt go in this database, and they are stored as a memory sort of. While in there the person will remember how they felt when a certain thing happened, and they may want to influence their emotional state by experiencing this again. Or on the other hand, something may make them feel bad, and they may want to avoid these feelings of negativity. This is where "something just doesn't feel right" comes in. This also may be where things may feel a certain to someone, and they make this judgment immediately when they come in contact with something. As Udog said later in the thread this could be called "resonance" with something. If this resonance is a bad one then the person will try to make it good in some way, and if it's good then it will be kept good.

I may add to this later, and I will take your input to heart. :)

Hey thanks! This was very clear and well-described! I wonder, though, based on other descriptions that I've read, is there also an element of emotional understanding, as well? For instance, if the Fi user feels a certain way or resonates a certain way about something, do they typically explore that feeling and come to an understanding about what underlying need/motivation it is that makes them feel that way? Or at least, do INFPs do this?

For instance (and I'm just really talking out of my ass here), suppose an INFP saw someone on the street take the initiative to help a blind guy to the bus, and they felt good internally about it (or that person). Might they then consciously explore why it is they feel this way? Trace it back to some fundamental emotional need, or combination of needs? I'm curious to know if INFPs do this, or if they just rather experience the emotion and react to it un-reflexively?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey thanks! This was very clear and well-described! I wonder, though, based on other descriptions that I've read, is there also an element of emotional understanding, as well? For instance, if the Fi user feels a certain way or resonates a certain way about something, do they typically explore that feeling and come to an understanding about what underlying need/motivation it is that makes them feel that way? Or at least, do INFPs do this?

For instance (and I'm just really talking out of my ass here), suppose an INFP saw someone on the street take the initiative to help a blind guy to the bus, and they felt good internally about it (or that person). Might they then consciously explore why it is they feel this way? Trace it back to some fundamental emotional need, or combination of needs? I'm curious to know if INFPs do this, or if they just rather experience the emotion and react to it un-reflexively?

The only time I trace back to why I feel a certain way is when I feel like I need to change, whether that change is good or bad, or if something really matters to me. It's not just an unconscious thing to trace everything back for me really. Like if I was in love with someone and I liked a certain trait about them, I would trace back to what that meant to me and what caused that in me, just to gain more understanding. Or if I see that something I'm attached to needs changing then I'll trace it back to help the changing process.

That's just me, not sure about others.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
BlackCat said:
My theory about how all of this works is that Fi is a database of emotion within the person. You can take from this, add to it, look at it as a reference etc. This may be where "values" come to be, within this database. The person's emotional experiences and the emotions they have felt go in this database, and they are stored as a memory sort of. While in there the person will remember how they felt when a certain thing happened, and they may want to influence their emotional state by experiencing this again. Or on the other hand, something may make them feel bad, and they may want to avoid these feelings of negativity. This is where "something just doesn't feel right" comes in. This also may be where things may feel a certain to someone, and they make this judgment immediately when they come in contact with something. As Udog said later in the thread this could be called "resonance" with something. If this resonance is a bad one then the person will try to make it good in some way, and if it's good then it will be kept good.
A lot of this sounds like Fi + Si. Personally, I think Fi has more of a direct, instinctive response to things. This can be conditioned by past experiences (Si) but I don't think it is necessarily. I could be wrong, though. Maybe some of the INTJs, etc, can throw more light on this, as they have Fi and very little Si.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tried getting some more understanding of what confuses me about the SPs the most in this thread. No luck so far for understanding though, this is all that's holding the ISFP profile back.

SP

Sensing, Perceptive

S: They primarily take in information via their 5 senses - what they can feel, see, smell, hear, touch.
P: Their preferred method of operation is to continually gather information instead of using it and then moving on.

This means they gather information via their 5 senses - via the real world. So if they are interested in gathering information, and do it via their 5 senses, how does that show up? Well, by living in the moment as best as possible! If they don't live in the moment, who knows what they miss.

Basically, things in the real world is what they are tuned for, and that's how they go about gathering information. Us INFPs call it 'living in the real world'. :D

If I had to describe Fi in a single phrase, it would be "Be true to yourself."

And yes, I do this. By understanding why something makes me feel a certain way, I understand myself better. Not sure how that reflects in ISFPs.

Well, I'd know why I'd feel good about. Random acts of kindness make me happy. However, what I might do is try to work my way over to the kind person and strike up a conversation, and better understand WHY they did it. If they offer an interesting viewpoint, I figure out a way to integrate it until my value system.