User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 76

  1. #11
    Senior Member Azseroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    417

    Default

    girls can't be knights?
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

  2. #12
    deleted
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Female knight is a dame.


  3. #13
    Senior Member Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Knight is a great visual reference, but I suspect troublesome when applied to female ISTJs.
    As a female ISTJ, I think it's a pretty awesome visual reference!
    I may be atypical.
    The profile's great so far though BlackCat You've been with us too much.

  4. #14
    deleted
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    So, in preparation of my ISTP profile, I decided to write a description of Ti. There are many misconceptions of what Ti is (specifically, the common conception of Ti is actually closer to TiNe), and an understanding of how it works is essential to understanding the ISTP.

    First, what Ti is not:
    Ti is not inherently logical.
    Ti is not linear.
    Ti is not theoretical.
    Ti is not objective-oriented (though it is object-oriented).

    Now that that's out of the way, my Ti description:

    Introverted Thinking
    Ti is an introverted judging process. It takes data given by Extraverted Perceiving and judges it. Ti basically takes the data, and “melds” with it, it analyzes it from all angles until it understands the essential qualities of it completely. This is a non-linear, almost unconscious process, and it does not make use of logic. The logic of Ti comes from the fact that the data is understood completely, including all the rules of how it operates, which is logical. For example, if you use a hammer on a nail, Ti figures out how the force of the hammer causes the nail to be driven into the wood, and how far, and at what angle, etc. It takes in all the variables simultaneously and figures out how the system as a whole works, but if asked, it's answer will likely be something along the lines of “because that's how it works, can't you see that?”. Whereas a Te approach would be to take the force of the swing, the weight of the hammer, surface area, length of the nail, density of the wood, angle the nail is hit, etc and preform a lengthy and complicated math problem. As you can see, Te is just plain inefficient here (ironically, considering Te is all about efficiency). Furthermore, Ti is experiential. It relies upon actual real world data seen personally by the individual. Here is where much of the confusion arises. Because of the nature of Ne, it allows you to see things that don't actually physically exist, and Ti is able to utilize that data, but fundamentally, the individual is still experiencing it. The experiential nature of Ti is much more noticeable when paired with Se. Se gives physical external data which Ti uses. The above hammer example is TiSe in action. Another place where Ti is evident is in music. Where a Te approach to learning to play an instrument would be to learn the scales and chords and how to read sheet music and all that, Ti would learn by doing. It would learn by experimenting with the instrument, by listening to music and hearing the underlying structure and then applying that to the individual's own playing. It learns how different sounds fit together by hearing it, as opposed to someone telling you for example, “the first plus third plus fifth notes in a scale make a major chord which sounds good” in a very mathematical and mechanical way.

    And stuff. Yes I know it needs editing, I'll do that later.
    Great job Costrin. You almost made me cry.

    Is it just me or do INTPs (or possibly INTs in general) have a large knowledge base? What will explain this in your INTP profile Costrin? (just as a little reminder) and will this supersede that of the ISTJ? (with primary Si) This is aside from your ISTP profile.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    So, in preparation of my ISTP profile, I decided to write a description of Ti. There are many misconceptions of what Ti is (specifically, the common conception of Ti is actually closer to TiNe), and an understanding of how it works is essential to understanding the ISTP.

    First, what Ti is not:
    Ti is not inherently logical.
    Ti is not linear.
    Ti is not theoretical.
    Ti is not objective-oriented (though it is object-oriented).

    Now that that's out of the way, my Ti description:

    Introverted Thinking
    Ti is an introverted judging process. It takes data given by Extraverted Perceiving and judges it. Ti basically takes the data, and “melds” with it, it analyzes it from all angles until it understands the essential qualities of it completely. This is a non-linear, almost unconscious process, and it does not make use of logic. The logic of Ti comes from the fact that the data is understood completely, including all the rules of how it operates, which is logical. For example, if you use a hammer on a nail, Ti figures out how the force of the hammer causes the nail to be driven into the wood, and how far, and at what angle, etc. It takes in all the variables simultaneously and figures out how the system as a whole works, but if asked, it's answer will likely be something along the lines of “because that's how it works, can't you see that?”. Whereas a Te approach would be to take the force of the swing, the weight of the hammer, surface area, length of the nail, density of the wood, angle the nail is hit, etc and preform a lengthy and complicated math problem. As you can see, Te is just plain inefficient here (ironically, considering Te is all about efficiency). Furthermore, Ti is experiential. It relies upon actual real world data seen personally by the individual. Here is where much of the confusion arises. Because of the nature of Ne, it allows you to see things that don't actually physically exist, and Ti is able to utilize that data, but fundamentally, the individual is still experiencing it. The experiential nature of Ti is much more noticeable when paired with Se. Se gives physical external data which Ti uses. The above hammer example is TiSe in action. Another place where Ti is evident is in music. Where a Te approach to learning to play an instrument would be to learn the scales and chords and how to read sheet music and all that, Ti would learn by doing. It would learn by experimenting with the instrument, by listening to music and hearing the underlying structure and then applying that to the individual's own playing. It learns how different sounds fit together by hearing it, as opposed to someone telling you for example, “the first plus third plus fifth notes in a scale make a major chord which sounds good” in a very mathematical and mechanical way.

    And stuff. Yes I know it needs editing, I'll do that later.
    I liked it. This description was Ti and Se based. Can you do a Ti and Ne description to contrast?

    Just an idea, I know that means I'm making more work for you.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  6. #16
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I liked it. This description was Ti and Se based. Can you do a Ti and Ne description to contrast?

    Just an idea, I know that means I'm making more work for you.
    Hmm...

    Basically something like this:
    Ne observes something and comes up with a possibility for why it happened, or how the situation can evolve in the future. Ti then analyzes those possibilities, "melds" with them, and understands the fundamentals of them. The possibilities are then compares with already integrated data stored in memory to see where it fits in the puzzle. If the piece fits, then it is stored. When new data is gathered, it is analyzed and compared to the mental model, and it's place found. If it contradicts the model, it is determined whether the new data fits the data better, or if the old data does, and the loser gets thrown out.

    For example:
    While learning typology, I come up with a bunch of various explanations of how say, Ti works. My primary reference point was myself, with secondary reference points being others. I would come up with a description, and Ti would evaluate and say "that fits the data, it must be correct." As I gathered more data, and came up with more explanations, Ti would say "that explanation fits the data better, so it is correct" and then a new explanation, and a new one, ad infinitum until I arrived at my current one.

    Another example:
    Economics. The economical data is taken in, and explanations for why that happened are formed, and theories on what is going to happen in the future are formed. Each possibility is assessed by Ti for how well it fits the data, and is integrated or dismissed accordingly, and a mental model is formed. When the situation changes, the new data is compared to the model, and the model is refined accordingly.

    As is apparent, Si is necessary in order to ground INTPs to reality. Si details basically act as anchors keeping the boat from drifting away. Likely similiar for ISTPs, Ni ties the otherwise disparate Se data together.

    And stuff.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  7. #17
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    It takes in all the variables simultaneously and figures out how the system as a whole works, but if asked, it's answer will likely be something along the lines of “because that's how it works, can't you see that?”. Whereas a Te approach would be to take the force of the swing, the weight of the hammer, surface area...
    A short note: Don't you think this comparison is true in general of introverted functions vs. extroverted functions?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  8. #18
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    A short note: Don't you think this comparison is true in general of introverted functions vs. extroverted functions?
    Likely.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  9. #19
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Okay, so I've been working on this ISTJ profile and everything has been going great until I got to the non dominant function descriptions. Care to help ISTJs? By the way this is a prototype, it's subject to change if something is inaccurate.

    Extroverted Intuition, Ne-
    I'm not one, but I've been close to enough of them.

    They generally like both science fiction as well as theory, and do have a capacity for exploring possibilities, and other abstract things. It just takes a back seat to their past-focused concrete awareness.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  10. #20
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Just released the profile here.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Similar Threads

  1. Tips and Tricks For Staying Off The Fi Ride of Doom
    By wolfy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 10:52 AM
  2. Costrin and Marmandahalf Get A Room
    By marmandahalf in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 02:20 AM
  3. Overview of Typology
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
  4. Typological Anatomies of MBTIc Members
    By nightwatcher in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2008, 02:56 PM
  5. Take a drink and you'll sink to a state of pure inebriation.
    By Firelie in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 03:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO