User Tag List

12 Last

heart on fire

Default Recent Article On Introversion

Publication: Psychology Today Magazine
    Publication Date: Mar/Apr 2007
    Last Reviewed: 15 May 2007

Field Guide to the Loner: The Real Insiders

Loners are pitied in our up-with-people culture. But the introvert reaps secret joy from the solitary life.

"In our society, where extroverts make up three-quarters of the population, loners (except Henry David Thoreau) are pegged as creepy or pathetic. But soloists like Matsuoka can function just fine in the world..(more at link)

Interesting article.

I wonder why the statistics are so varied. Do they use another definition of "introversion" than CAPT?

Or does CAPT only apply in the U.S.?

I think Psychology Today is fairly reputable, but it is not my field.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

You know I find even psychologists try to help you become more extroverted. Thanks for the article heart.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Interesting article.

I wonder why the statistics are so varied. Do they use another definition of "introversion" than CAPT?

Or does CAPT only apply in the U.S.?

I think Psychology Today is fairly reputable, but it is not my field.
    CAPT stats are for the US, but the reason it keeps happening is because these damn articles keep parroting old information - they aren't research or even "researched" in any depth. That, and they pick and choose between instruments and so forth (I believe the 25:75 is still maintained by Kiersey.)

Just about the author;

Elizabeth Svoboda makes a living convincing editors to let her write about stuff she thinks is cool or thought-provoking - think sales rep for ideas. The subjects she's covered, limited only by her editors' skepticism, include dinosaur track-based detective work, the connection between waterslides and chaos theory, and creationist biology classes in Galapagos schools. She grew up in the suburbs of Western New York, lives in San Francisco's Tendernob, and just finished a stint writing and reporting from Berlin and other Eastern European locales.

Elizabeth likes: hot tubs, seltzer with copious amounts of lemon, beedogs, bad '90s pop, The Simpsons, the movie UHF with Al Yankovic, historical fiction, In-n-Out Burger, ground pepper, Annie Dillard, the dog Asta in The Thin Man, ideas that move from brain to page with little lost in translation.

Elizabeth dislikes: cold showers, coffee with copious amounts of Splenda, fruitflies, bad '70s interior decorating, Family Guy, the movie XXX with Vin Diesel, science fiction, open-and-shut propositions, shaken pepper, Annie Lennox, the dog Beethoven in Beethoven, internal-monologue ideas that refuse to appear on the computer screen.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    CAPT stats are for the US, but the reason it keeps happening is because these damn articles keep parroting old information - they aren't research or even "researched" in any depth. That, and they pick and choose between instruments and so forth (I believe the 25:75 is still maintained by Kiersey.)

Just about the author;

Elizabeth Svoboda makes a living convincing editors to let her write about stuff she thinks is cool or thought-provoking - think sales rep for ideas. The subjects she's covered, limited only by her editors' skepticism, include dinosaur track-based detective work, the connection between waterslides and chaos theory, and creationist biology classes in Galapagos schools. She grew up in the suburbs of Western New York, lives in San Francisco's Tendernob, and just finished a stint writing and reporting from Berlin and other Eastern European locales.

Elizabeth likes: hot tubs, seltzer with copious amounts of lemon, beedogs, bad '90s pop, The Simpsons, the movie UHF with Al Yankovic, historical fiction, In-n-Out Burger, ground pepper, Annie Dillard, the dog Asta in The Thin Man, ideas that move from brain to page with little lost in translation.

Elizabeth dislikes: cold showers, coffee with copious amounts of Splenda, fruitflies, bad '70s interior decorating, Family Guy, the movie XXX with Vin Diesel, science fiction, open-and-shut propositions, shaken pepper, Annie Lennox, the dog Beethoven in Beethoven, internal-monologue ideas that refuse to appear on the computer screen.

Heh, she sounds like an ENFP. She's insightful and informative, but I doubt she rigorously checks her sources. Regardless of who the author is though I wouldn't accept any statistic given in any news article unless it provides a link to the source (and even then make sure the source is reliable).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP

I've always hated the word loner because it's used so pejoratively. I'm never called a loner - I'm accused. I've always felt pushed to be more gregarious by well-meaning relatives, teachers and employers but could never make them understand that I choose to keep my behaviour low-key and limit my interactions with others. I've neither wanted nor needed frequent socialization. My imagination and books keep my attention. I certainly don't need to be reminded that I am a navel-gazing weirdo by people in the real world.

On another note, the claim that introverts find most social situations overstimulating is spot-on. I think lonely is another word many of us find applicable. I rarely feel lonely when I'm actually alone because I have various activities that keep my mind and/or body active; therefore, I'm not thinking about being alone. At large gatherings, I feel overwhelmed. I start to sink inside myself because it's blatantly obvious that I stand out awkwardly amidst the revelry. I find it hard to converse with people in large groups because my voice is often stifled by extraverts who either want the attention for themselves or want to control the pace and subject of the conversation. Because I'm naturally quiet, I'm overlooked as stupid and uninteresting, decreasing further the opportunities I have to contribute to discussion. I often retreat to a corner or stay beside the people I know, pretending to be engaged in others' discussions but constantly feeling like a conversational parasite.
    "We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

heart on fire

My purpose in posting this article was to show that out there in pop culture land where so many people 's heads reside, introverts still have a negative image. Perhaps people who hang out at MBTI boards forget that the rest of the world is not so much into personality profiles and things like that.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm not sure I believe that extroverts make up 3/4 of the population. If they do, then they must not live anywhere near me. I rarely meet other extroverts.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Theory View Post
    I'm not sure I believe that extroverts make up 3/4 of the population. If they do, then they must not live anywhere near me. I rarely meet other extroverts.
    Just like the ENFJs that everyone but me knows at least 10 of.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    And you forget that there's selection in the sources they are using, so they are nowhere near accurate.

From an intuitive standpoint, you're more likely to ferret out Introverts and Intuitives because they're more likely to care and be considered sufficiently defective to end up tested by persons that are reporting. But it's also cultural - some places favor certain types over others and therefore you'll see a skewing of results. Either that or it's flat genetic, in which case the results are still skewed anywhere without a genetically-isolated population.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.