• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The third function

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I noticed today that some people can pass as intuitive when they are really a sensor. My roommate is one example, and he's ESTJ, and has all the qualities of an ESTJ--doesn't like philosophy, likes simple things in life (don't take that the wrong way). But in conversation, he's like an intuitive. It's his third function:

Te
Si
Ne
Fi

Ne shares extroversion with Te, so when he extroverts, it seems it'd be easy to develop that third function too, perhaps even as well developed as Si.

Is it possible to develop your third function better than your second function? And do you find that it often happens?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is it possible to develop your third function better than your second function? And do you find that it often happens?

Yes. It's uncommon, but it happens. Especially I've noticed for F males and T females with a T/F tertiary.

Also, relevant article: Tertiary Temptation

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
if the litterature is true, then ESTJ should actually be your second-bestest buddy in life. - as a generalization, ETJs will never enjoy philosophy like NTPs do, even if they are interested in the subject. though a very good way for ESTJ-INTP to work together is where he lays down the concrete course and you analyse the broader implications etc.

to answer your question, the 3rd function can indeed be developed substansially. over the course of a normal life, the 3rd function will start almost wholly in the unconcious, excerting its impulses (if a P-funcion) or demands (if a J-function). as the individual ages and - hopefully - develops the 3rd function moves more and more into the concious domain. it will still behave temperamentally, sticking out like sore thumb at times, hyperbolic here and dismissive there, but relating conciously to it over and over again should eventually turn it into a helper rather than manacle.

though some types readily unleash their 3rd function while keeping their 2nd function close (e.g. Schopenhauer's [INFJ] Ti or Ayn Rand's [INTJ] Fi) such willing discharges always end up seeming rather crooked and neurotic. in my opinion the key to mastering the 3rd function is to relate critically yet amiably towards it (remember you are relating to a part of your own unconcious), rather than trying to force it to go anywhere like the above mentioned INJs did. - in other words, the harder you push for it to move, the more stationary and temperamental is will become. instead just try to be gently understanding towards yourself when dealing with the 3rd function (nb: understanding is not the same as justifying or rationalizing).

for those of you who believe obama to be an ENTP, wonder who long he can keep up the Fe ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, my third function is extraverted pizza-eating, or Pee. I do it much more often than that "sensing" garbage.

G

garbage

Yes. It's uncommon, but it happens. Especially I've noticed for F males and T females with a T/F tertiary.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'm pretty sure my Te developed well, well before Fi because of circumstances; only now am I finding that I'm a "natural" at Fi.

deleted
You can develop your 3rd more than your 2nd, however I don't agree about extraverting improving upon extraverted functions the most. It depends upon all reflection and initiative. Personal values go both ways, positive and negative. It only seems that E improves E, I, I, from a subjective perspective. I happen to trust many of the experiments I've seen relating to function usage that have 3 effects: didn't help, developed the opposite, developed the focus. There is a cycle however that displays extroverts using extroverted functions, not the other way around. The psyche uses you, your outer experiences.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You can develop your 3rd more than your 2nd, however I don't agree about extraverting improving upon extraverted functions the most. It depends upon all reflection and initiative. Personal values go both ways, positive and negative. It only seems that E improves E, I, I, from a subjective perspective. I happen to trust many of the experiments I've seen relating to function usage that have 3 effects: didn't help, developed the opposite, developed the focus. There is a cycle however that displays extroverts using extroverted functions, not the other way around. The psyche uses you, your outer experiences.

What I'm sayin is, imagine this: you're an introverted INTP. Ti Ne Si Fe. And you spend all your time alone. Would your Si develop faster than your Ne? Even still, the fact that your introverted seems to suggest that the introverted functions would be more developed... to me.

edit: and you totally lost me on what you were saying.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
What I'm sayin is, imagine this: you're an introverted INTP. Ti Ne Si Fe. And you spend all your time alone. Would your Si develop faster than your Ne? Even still, the fact that your introverted seems to suggest that the introverted functions would be more developed... to me.

edit: and you totally lost me on what you were saying.

Yes it can happen. And you probably wouldn't want to be around those INTPs. Other types seem to be able to work somewhat well in the world if their tertiary overpowers their secondary, but an INTP with weak Ne / strong Si would likely have no social sense at all (and likely disdain social interaction).

deleted
I'm saying not necessarily because the cycle would look like this.

Si leads to reflection.
Reflection contributes to psyche.
Outer source contributes to psyche.
Psyche determines use of Si.

There is no direct influence, but a fed and combined influence of all factors of reflection and initiative (being outer initiative applied to one's self. "What is perceived.")