123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Ps and (lack of) work ethic

Do any other Ps find formal education irritating? It's not that there aren't any interesting topics to study--there's a wealth of those--just that I don't feel like dealing with them every day. I need the freedom to study things at MY own pace, to wake up and decide that I'm not going to read that particular book today, and when I feel forced into doing them on a regimented schedule for prolonged periods of time, it actually annoys me enough that I develop a negative association with the subject matter, even when it's a subject I typically enjoy!

It's really kind of a problem. I'd like to have a college degree (I was a junior when I quit last year) but I just can't stand the "Study exactly what I tell you to exactly when I tell you to for exactly how long I tell you to" framework for education. Are there any realistic alternatives?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post

It's really kind of a problem. I'd like to have a college degree (I was a junior when I quit last year) but I just can't stand the "Study exactly what I tell you to exactly when I tell you to for exactly how long I tell you to" framework for education. Are there any realistic alternatives?
    You should have been lucky enough to have met a P professor.

I'd say that while Js are better during early University courses, Ps are more suited to independent, innovative work and hence, to PhDs.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    You should have been lucky enough to have met a P professor.
    I had an ENFP professor in high school who was really cool and helpful. I've been thinking about going back to visit my old high school and seeking his advice--he had a doctorate in psychology and always seemed to know what styles of learning (and appropriate programs of study) would fit his students best.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

At my university we pretty much got left to our own devices, I loved it!
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Do any other Ps find formal education irritating? It's not that there aren't any interesting topics to study--there's a wealth of those--just that I don't feel like dealing with them every day. I need the freedom to study things at MY own pace, to wake up and decide that I'm not going to read that particular book today, and when I feel forced into doing them on a regimented schedule for prolonged periods of time, it actually annoys me enough that I develop a negative association with the subject matter, even when it's a subject I typically enjoy!

High school was a drag, but college is awesome. I fill like I have the world in my hands when I am at college. My schedule is mine to control and my papers are due when I decide they are due. It is awesome.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I hated the bulls#!& agendas of some of my lecturers, and some of the pointless subjects we had to study...but once I established my equilibrium, I loved university.

What about some sort of long distance learning course, which would give you more freedom.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

EP's I think have a harder time with this than do IP's.

Formal education is so far removed from reality that it seems pedantic to me. It's unlikely I'll ever be able to tolerate it again for more than one semester at a time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Formal education is so far removed from reality that it seems pedantic to me. It's unlikely I'll ever be able to tolerate it again for more than one semester at a time.
    That's why I don't take nothin besides philosophy or math or music (I don't have to).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I always did very well in school when it came to the learning part. The social part, not so much. I was absent a LOT in HS, but I still got excellent grades because I did all my work & scored well on tests. I actually tuned teachers out in class and daydreamed, so I basically taught myself from books.
    And what does it say about HS curriculum that I could show up 2-3 days a week and still get a 4.0, easily? .
    In college, I could not get away with being absent, and so then I had a tendency to goof off in class more. I still did well.
    School was good for me, because it gives me the motivation & structure I need to stay focused & actually get things done.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe