• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ps and (lack of) work ethic

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do any other Ps find formal education irritating? It's not that there aren't any interesting topics to study--there's a wealth of those--just that I don't feel like dealing with them every day. I need the freedom to study things at MY own pace, to wake up and decide that I'm not going to read that particular book today, and when I feel forced into doing them on a regimented schedule for prolonged periods of time, it actually annoys me enough that I develop a negative association with the subject matter, even when it's a subject I typically enjoy!

It's really kind of a problem. I'd like to have a college degree (I was a junior when I quit last year) but I just can't stand the "Study exactly what I tell you to exactly when I tell you to for exactly how long I tell you to" framework for education. Are there any realistic alternatives?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's really kind of a problem. I'd like to have a college degree (I was a junior when I quit last year) but I just can't stand the "Study exactly what I tell you to exactly when I tell you to for exactly how long I tell you to" framework for education. Are there any realistic alternatives?

You should have been lucky enough to have met a P professor. :huh:

I'd say that while Js are better during early University courses, Ps are more suited to independent, innovative work and hence, to PhDs.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should have been lucky enough to have met a P professor. :huh:

I had an ENFP professor in high school who was really cool and helpful. I've been thinking about going back to visit my old high school and seeking his advice--he had a doctorate in psychology and always seemed to know what styles of learning (and appropriate programs of study) would fit his students best.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
At my university we pretty much got left to our own devices, I loved it!

L

Lasting_Pain

Do any other Ps find formal education irritating? It's not that there aren't any interesting topics to study--there's a wealth of those--just that I don't feel like dealing with them every day. I need the freedom to study things at MY own pace, to wake up and decide that I'm not going to read that particular book today, and when I feel forced into doing them on a regimented schedule for prolonged periods of time, it actually annoys me enough that I develop a negative association with the subject matter, even when it's a subject I typically enjoy!

High school was a drag, but college is awesome. I fill like I have the world in my hands when I am at college. My schedule is mine to control and my papers are due when I decide they are due. It is awesome.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hated the bulls#!& agendas of some of my lecturers, and some of the pointless subjects we had to study...but once I established my equilibrium, I loved university.

What about some sort of long distance learning course, which would give you more freedom.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
EP's I think have a harder time with this than do IP's.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Formal education is so far removed from reality that it seems pedantic to me. It's unlikely I'll ever be able to tolerate it again for more than one semester at a time.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Formal education is so far removed from reality that it seems pedantic to me. It's unlikely I'll ever be able to tolerate it again for more than one semester at a time.

That's why I don't take nothin besides philosophy or math or music (I don't have to).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always did very well in school when it came to the learning part. The social part, not so much. I was absent a LOT in HS, but I still got excellent grades because I did all my work & scored well on tests. I actually tuned teachers out in class and daydreamed, so I basically taught myself from books.
And what does it say about HS curriculum that I could show up 2-3 days a week and still get a 4.0, easily? :tongue:.
In college, I could not get away with being absent, and so then I had a tendency to goof off in class more. I still did well.
School was good for me, because it gives me the motivation & structure I need to stay focused & actually get things done.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think the thing is the definition aka work ethic is something needed to keep things seeming sane.

I have been to late for like 15000000 times, but they dont fire me, beause I can !

L

Lasting_Pain

That is funny I thought you would say the exact opposite. I have never seen an INTP say that Formal Education is far from reality.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
That is funny I thought you would say the exact opposite. I have never seen an INTP say that Formal Education is far from reality.

Formal education IS very far from reality. Even in higher level programs...I know of at least four different programs (including my own) that still make their MA and PhD students take written comps exams. This means that they have to sit in a room for four hours and write a big long paper that they most likely memorized before going into the exam.

Apparently, this is supposed to prove that you're capable of moving on to more serious work, though in reality it's nothing but idiotic hoop-jumping. Most of academia is just that, though. Idiotic hoop-jumping.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Let us consult the most holy video about our pending problem:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkWS9PiXekE"]Choose your next words carefully [/YOUTUBE]

I personally think it's a 42 video, concerning the pending question

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
formal education is extremely irritating and i hate it. i hate that since a young age i was pushed to get a slip of paper that somehow makes more of an expert in a field then someone without a slip of paper.

i push to succeed nonetheless and this does not make me lazy in anyway. i would consider my work ethic quite good.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Formal education IS very far from reality. Even in higher level programs...I know of at least four different programs (including my own) that still make their MA and PhD students take written comps exams. This means that they have to sit in a room for four hours and write a big long paper that they most likely memorized before going into the exam.

Apparently, this is supposed to prove that you're capable of moving on to more serious work, though in reality it's nothing but idiotic hoop-jumping. Most of academia is just that, though. Idiotic hoop-jumping.

It was this sort of thing that made me relieved to finish. I mean honestly this promotes rote learning and memorisation and hardly incourages innovative and imaginative people (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that about anyone here).
However I have seen more than a few people go onto masters programes etc, and they barely have a true understanding of the topics they are studying, they get through by memorising.
One house mate, back in my uni days, comes to mind. She used to come pick our brains when she didn't understand things. You knew she didn't understand when she finished as well, but low and behold, she'd go to the lecturers and squeeze out perfect definitions from them but you just knew it was all words to her, and there was no true understanding. Throw her a question that deviated from the norm and she couldn't answer you. She couldn't work out logically the right answer.
Everybody who flatted with her, kinda lost faith in academia. She got better marks than all of us, but she still couldn't tell us what her research was about for her masters (some thing to do with plant physiology). This was the women who didn't understand plant respiration.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm getting my Master's in Public Administration now, part time at night, 2 classes per semester, 4 out of 7 completed. I like it alot, it's a great program at FSU and the professors have real world expertise to share. I did not like undergraduate studies, they did not mean anything to me as they were not associated with my work, as I had no real job or career. Now my college material is directly related to my career and so it is interesting and enjoyable. Oh, and when I was in my 20's I did not know I was an ESTP with OCD and ADHD. Now I'm 35, know all these things, and can take Ritalin when I need to concentrate and my brain is fighting my ability to do so. I use it a few times per week, mostly when I have to do low-level/granular work like SQL programming. When I do creative analytical work I need no meds, I just be my zany self and it all comes together...that goes for housework too. :cheese:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
If there's one thing I've been constantly re-learning about myself is that I hate to study something that doesn't naturally interest me.

I'm on the verge of changing majors because of this. I just wasn't made to eat what's others put on my plate.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, yes, yes @ OP. I'm very interested and passionate about learning but following a set curriculum and doing assignments and tests to show what I've learnt to another person doesn't interest me in the slightest, as such most styles of formal training aren’t for me. I’d be the person who does an entire course just so I understood something but then not be bothered to complete a test to get a piece of paper to show that I had.