12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default question for the Feelers

I've had this unanswered question for a long time. Now this is hard, with bias as a Thinker, so I'm asking others: What value does logical thinking have in life, outside of the math classroom? I mean, yes, critical thinking is important, and checking proofs is important like in philosophy. But besides that, any interaction with a person should be handled with emotions, not logic. It's been said that we never use anything higher than basic math in our daily lives, and philosophy moves so slow, its no wonder why no one likes it. Why do you spend 35% of your life at work? Because you love it--not for some logical reason.

I can almost find any situation that can go without direct logical thinking. If this is true, which it seems plausible, then what place does an INTP have? I'm finding that my understanding of everything from conversation cadence to music to emotions and everything else is built on logic, and I think its bullshit.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Logic gets results in lots of non-emotional areas.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it can and should be mixed with emotions i think. when making decisions such as where to work, where to live, who to spend your life with...all of those things need a balance of both i believe....give me some of that logic. i could use it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    I've had this unanswered question for a long time. Now this is hard, with bias as a Thinker, so I'm asking others: What value does logical thinking have in life, outside of the math classroom?
    Well, strict logic, like math/philosophy - perhaps not as much value.

But the skills used in logic, and objective analyzing and assessing, are extremely useful in life, in my opinion. I guess I've never viewed it as not useful? Many jobs/careers require a more logical bent than a people-based/emotional one. Granted, a blending of both tends to be most useful in working smoothly with others or on a team, but many jobs and performance reviews are results-based -- and much of the work done within a corporation is incredibly objective and cutthroat/emotionless at times. People are there to get the job done.

In everyday life - this isn't exactly 'logic', but just in how I organize my days/weeks sometimes...I'll optimize my time by figuring out the most efficient order of running errands and getting things accomplished. Or in preparing for my trips/traveling -- I definitely don't get all the details ironed out (that would be annoying to me!), but I'll figure out the most logical 'path'/route to take while traveling. There are a lot of logistical things that need to be dealt with in 'the real world' - and that's where it's helpful. Or simply making life decisions - I'll always factor in what 'makes sense' as far as the timing/logistics of what I'm planning to do. It's an important piece of the puzzle for me.

If any of that makes sense.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

So it seems logic has use. But it still seems that it has significantly less use than subjective thought. For example, what if you did your errands inefficiently and took your time, and stopped to smell the roses? You'd get less done. Boo.

But how about ethics? It never ends. Leadership skills? Parenting skills? Social skills? How much more important is 'emotional intelligence' than Calculus?

I'm beginning to believe that T/F is not as much of a mirror image continuum as it seems.

Is this making any sense?

When you are having an argument with someone (like someone you're in a relationship with) and you only use emotion and fail to be logical, you can at times appear crazy, psycho, irrational, unattractive, over-emotional, stupid, etc., etc., etc.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Math makes up and unwinds the beautiful stars we love. Love and logic. Paired.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Logic isn't exactly a huge priority to me, but it's good to have in life.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Funny... I'd say spending 35% of your time doing what you love is a rather logical thing to do. Most 'logical' thought is based on values which is mostly subjective.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Funny... I'd say spending 35% of your time doing what you love is a rather logical thing to do. Most 'logical' thought is based on values which is mostly subjective.
    I'm saying we wouldn't go "Well there's x number of middle school teachers, and more high school teachers, so I'll teach middle school."