First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Math makes up and unwinds the beautiful stars we love. Love and logic. Paired.
    +1. Logic and love should work together; T and F should do the same. One just stays dominant over the other, and in your case it's T. That doesn't mean you don't have an F to be developed.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Logic is good for systems and thinks that work logically. Know what I'm saying?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Logic is good for arguments, political debate, etc. You may feel irrationally, but that is not a problem. Logic helps you to behave with at least some rationality. We make economic decisions all the time, too. Whether to walk or take your bike is an economic decision, for instance.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    I'm saying we wouldn't go "Well there's x number of middle school teachers, and more high school teachers, so I'll teach middle school."
    That's illogical in some ways.

Say I was working as a team co-ordinator. I wouldn't put someone with X trait in a position that doesn't utilise it's abilities. For that reason I'd say it can be pretty important for people to do what they love as opposed to just filling in a space. It's just inefficient because these people won't working at full potential/giving it their best.

So...

Which logical system are you talking about?

Lasting_Pain

Logic can be used when giving presentations, job interviews, and any other formal things that come with life. If you are in the business world, you will have to rely on logic more so than emotion on a daily basis.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

ethos and logos...they go hand in hand, one is not better than the other and one is not more useful than the other.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I am pretty sure that not that many people use logic in the strict sense of mathematical logic all that often, especially in their ordinary thinking. I think "logic" in the common meaning is more about decision making procedures that allow you to make logical connections between the things that you perceive at a given moment.

For example, you may be in a situation where you have to make a decision, and you see that this situation is analogous to a situation that you've dealt with in the past, or that you've heard others deal with...you then use this analogical reasoning to come to a conclusion about what you should do in your present situation.

Logic in the mathematical or philosophical sense (though there are a lot of "logics", even in this category) is different than the logic that you employ in practical reasoning, and mostly because the type of basic logic that comes intuitively in daily life is tacit, and not perceived in the form of "if p then q..."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In interpersonal relationships there is a big difference between a reasonable person and an unreasonable person. The difference have a lot to do with prevalence of logical fallacies in their thinking. While it is true that many fallacies are effective in communicating with people, being aware of these tendencies in oneself makes self less open to manipulation by others. Also, recognizing what strategies are effective with other people can provide the desired results. Sometimes the most reasoned course is to specifically use a logical fallacy if that is the means to the end. If your employer primarily responds positively to flattery, then if you need a raise in order to not lose your home, the reasoned choice is to flatter the boss when requesting the raise. The strictly emotional impulse might be to appeal to their sympathy, but realizing how they think and what will actually motivate them is the more reasoned approach. That is different that being driven by the mood or emotion of the moment. It requires a great deal of analysis and reason.

If you want a metaphor to speak to someone who thinks primarily in technical terms, then try this. Human reasoning and behavior is a bit like a poorly written computer program. It works some of the time, but was designed inefficiently and contains many bugs. Still everything contained within it acts as a result of cause and effect. The program only does what it was programmed to do. In a case where the code cannot be redesigned, you have to work with what is there even if it isn't entirely efficient or well reasoned in its design. Think of the irrationality of people in this way, and then you can apply logic and reason to some extent to solve the issues. The main difference is that people are shaped by trillions of details, so there is not a way to view the code and decipher every cause and effect. Because of this often an intuitive approach is necessary, or using approaches to get the results you want even if you can't understand the person's process entirely.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I am pretty sure that not that many people use logic in the strict sense of mathematical logic all that often, especially in their ordinary thinking. I think "logic" in the common meaning is more about decision making procedures that allow you to make logical connections between the things that you perceive at a given moment.

For example, you may be in a situation where you have to make a decision, and you see that this situation is analogous to a situation that you've dealt with in the past, or that you've heard others deal with...you then use this analogical reasoning to come to a conclusion about what you should do in your present situation.

Logic in the mathematical or philosophical sense (though there are a lot of "logics", even in this category) is different than the logic that you employ in practical reasoning, and mostly because the type of basic logic that comes intuitively in daily life is tacit, and not perceived in the form of "if p then q..."
    Yea, I agree with what you say. We use logic everyday, we just do not realize it.