• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

introverts - do people think you're stuck up?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Everyone knows the stereotype of an introvert is "someone who others think is stuck up/shy/aloof, etc.",

and when I read that, I thought, nah, people aren't like that. Not the majority.

But now I'm starting to think that some people do think that, especially of IxTx types.

What's the consensus? Is it true?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I assume so, though no one has ever said t straight to me.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, sometimes they do. It's rather annoying.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard it implied before about me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yep. I've heard cold, aloof, stuck up and snobby.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Someone told me once that I was "not as stuck up as [they] thought I would be"

And I was like, "Uhh, what? Thanks?"

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah I think some people get that impression from me. Mostly they just think I'm shy.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes.
And I enjoy it, and tell them that they're annoying and I'd rather not converse with them anyway.

The people who I find interesting or whatever, they don't see me as stuck up. They might see me as quiet, but not arrogant.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
heck yeah and i can see why too, even though im not
ive gotten:
youre an elitist
i thought you were one of those popular tough girls
youre, like, to cool for everyone
like omg, your standards are like, SOOOOO, high (when i dont even talk about who i would and would not like to date)
yeah edge is a bitch

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A little bit...I've even been told so, by a co-worker. I have a slight stutter, which only ever really comes out when I'm nervous, or meeting new people, so I don't really talk much to people who I'm not comfortable with. I guess it comes across as I'm ignoring them, as they don't reliese...especially at work.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moved from... that NT place.

Yes, I'm seen as stuck up.

bananafish

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
My mom thinks I'm stuck up.
Everyone else thinks I hate them or something just because I don't talk. :/
Really now, I only talk when I have to at school...
Or if I know you and decide to strike up a "hello".
Otherwise, don't expect me to say much. lols.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
It's not that I don't like talking to people. I just have a disturbingly "invisible" presence and voice. Whether I'm here or not people don't notice so I don't bother making the effort anymore. It's been like this ever since I can remember. I'm just tired of yelling to be noticed. It takes energy.
Perfect example:
I didn't show up at some committee activity that counted as community service because I thought it was optional and they gave me the hours because they thought I was there.
:tongue:
But why lie, I love being in the background.

People assume I'm stuck up, mean, or hate them just as bananafish said. Also, my friends tend to be able to understand but the rest tends to not really understand what I say.

I should learn to speak with a "presence" so I don't get ignored.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yup, for a few reasons:

- Aloofness.
- I can be very confident in my viewpoints.
- When I don't like someone, a lot of the time they can tell, either by something I do or don't do.
- I mock people sometimes.
- Not taking certain things seriously, when I'm expected to.
- Not respecting certain things.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Yup, for a few reasons:

- Aloofness.
- I can be very confident in my viewpoints.
- When I don't like someone, a lot of the time they can tell, either by something I do or don't do.
- I mock people sometimes.
- Not taking certain things seriously, when I'm expected to.
- Not respecting certain things.

That fits me to a "T", but I don't think anyone has ever called me stuck up. Must be an intimidation factor.

L

Lasting_Pain

Yeah, but who really cares though. Usually it is an SP or SJ that thinks this because they don't understand us completely. Except the ones who come to the forum, they seem to be quite open.

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh God yes, I've had the "you know...when I first met you I thought you were such a _____" talk with all my friends. It sucks that I don't make great first impressions but oh well what can I do?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This plagues my life! :doh:
More often than not, my shyness and introversion are misinterpreted negatively. It's very frustrating. I give off terrible first impressions with most people.

I see shyness as a anxiety disorder of sorts, but not introversion. I'm slowly becoming less shy, but being an introvert I think my behavior will always be misunderstood to a degree.

Extroversion and gregariousness are over-valued in American culture, IMO.