User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Has happened to me quite a few times. Especially when I was younger. I realised that it was me holding back that was doing it. This was before I'd heard of MBTI. I made an effort to project myself more and found the problem went away.

As an introvert pushing yourself forward feels wrong in some way. Like you think you're all that... up youself you know? But when I did do it I found people found me less stuck up.?

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, some people have assumed this about me. It doesn't help that I'm very slow to respond to what people say to me or I forget to respond at all. When I meet someone new, I usually think I won't have anything in common with them, but I don't think I'm a better person than they are. After I know them better, the people who assume I'm stuck up never turn out to be interesting or to be people I want to spend much time with, so it's not a terrible loss to me.

Hmm, that sounds conceited.

its not just extroverted people who live in an extroverted world without realizing that another world exists. its conformist people, even introverted ones who try to join "that one world".

i am actually stuck, in my attempt to join that one world (in terms of behavior), be it the extroverted world, or the conformist world. but they are stuck in other regards. if they would consider for once, that my "introverted" world is just as real, they'd still imply that their world is higher or more sane. i call bull...

in my head, i am part of a world, that is much more united, than theirs usually is. so, they are the ones who cant join that one world

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

In high school people thought I was. Not so much now...or at least...if that is the case now, I've not heard anything about it.

It's odd. The less I give a crap about what others think and the more confident I am, the less stuck up I seem. It's odd, because in my mind, the behaviours associated with not giving a crap and being confident strike me as part of being stuck up. Guess I've gotten it backwards or something...
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I haven't been often told I am stuck up, but people have come to some unexpected conclusions about me. Being quiet and a blank canvass, people project all kinds of things onto you.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    Yeah, some people have assumed this about me. It doesn't help that I'm very slow to respond to what people say to me or I forget to respond at all. When I meet someone new, I usually think I won't have anything in common with them, but I don't think I'm a better person than they are. After I know them better, the people who assume I'm stuck up never turn out to be interesting or to be people I want to spend much time with, so it's not a terrible loss to me.

Hmm, that sounds conceited.
    Nah I think it's sometimes true.

Many times I've had newly-acquired friends tell me that they had previously thought I was "stuck-up" or "condescending." I've even received alarmingly tearful apologies afterwards (following liquor) that they had me "pegged so wrong." When I asked why, they usually responded with something along the lines of "You just didn't say alot."

Why A = B for so many people, is beyond me. Sensor's straight-forward world?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

I've never been told directly what others think of me.

However I find those that believe you were stuck up just don't really understand introversion. I find it difficult to believe that people can't tell the difference between shyness, introversion and arrogance. I'm sure other introverts here can tell the difference.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Everyone knows the stereotype of an introvert is "someone who others think is stuck up/shy/aloof, etc.",

and when I read that, I thought, nah, people aren't like that. Not the majority.

But now I'm starting to think that some people do think that, especially of IxTx types.

What's the consensus? Is it true?
    Well I know people think that of me, usually in the context of not knowing how to let guys down gracefully if they approach me in a club/bar. It catches me unawares and being shy I don't know what to do, so I'm rather blunt, or worse I might just mumble something and walk off. I've had a few people react badly to that i.e. "Oh, I see, you think I'm just a piece of s***." It's nothing to do with who they are, it's just they've put me on the spot and I'm running away.

Perhaps in other contexts I may seem aloof because I try to compensate for my lack of self-confidence by projecting a certain self-assuredness. I think the mix of the two can make for an apparently arrogant facade. It's not intentional, but it's probably better socially to be perceived as an arrogant bitch than the shy loser I really am. Or at least that's how I've experienced it. It's not that I'm nasty to people, it's just the way I have about me. Again, all down to being incompetent socially.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Yep, usually in the context of not knowing how to let guys down gracefully if they approach me in a club/bar. It catches me unawares and being shy I don't know what to do, so I'm rather blunt, or worse I might just mumble something and walk off. I've had a few people react badly to that i.e. "Oh, I see, you think I'm just a piece of s***." It's nothing to do with who they are, it's just they've put me on the spot and I'm running away.

Perhaps in other contexts I may seem aloof because I try to compensate for my lack of self-confidence by projecting a certain self-assuredness. I think the mix of the two can make for an apparently arrogant facade. It's not intentional, but it's probably better socially to be perceived as an arrogant bitch than the shy loser I really am. Or at least that's how I've experienced it. It's not that I'm nasty to people, it's just the way I have about me. Again, all down to being incompetent socially.
    Next time you're out, just wear a shirt that sais *If you don't understand mbti-back off/A/hole* But that would only put A/holes like me at an advantage.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?