User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

MBTI helped me understand that my husband genuinely has problems with making decisions that go beyond my dislike of them and he isn't just being passive aggressive when he won't make them in what I consider a timely manner.

I think that it has also helped him to understand that I am not trying to be controlling when I want to make a plan or ask him to make a decision and that I need those thing to feel secure, but he doesn't think it has helped him. That's fine. All I know is that the way he handled these things seemed to improve after we opened a dialog about P/J differences. Maybe he was just reacting to the change in my attitude and behavior.

MBTI has also made me more understanding of my SJ relatives. It has, also, I think, helped me to tailor how I work with my children to some degree.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    MBTI helped me understand that my husband genuinely has problems with making decisions that go beyond my dislike of them and he isn't just being passive aggressive when he won't make them in what I consider a timely manner.

I think that it has also helped him to understand that I am not trying to be controlling when I want to make a plan or ask him to make a decision and that I need those thing to feel secure, but he doesn't think it has helped him. That's fine. All I know is that the way he handled these things seemed to improve after we opened a dialog about P/J differences. Maybe he was just reacting to the change in my attitude and behavior.

MBTI has also made me more understanding of my SJ relatives. It has, also, I think, helped me to tailor how I work with my children to some degree.
    Cool.

How did you keep it at an "understanding" level instead of a "(self)-pegionholing" or "excusing" level?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

All I know is to never date an ExFJ -- I couldn't live with all the nagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    All I know is to never date an ExFJ -- I couldn't live with all the nagging.
    "Positive and Practical"?

Please, do try again.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    "Positive and Practical"?

Please, do try again.
    I dunno, knowing who not to date is pretty positive and practical to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I dunno, knowing who not to date is pretty positive and practical to me!
    True.

But you may close yourself off to a wonderful ExFJ. But to each his own.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Cool.

How did you keep it at an "understanding" level instead of a "(self)-pegionholing" or "excusing" level?
    I'm not sure that I entirely did. But I am lazy. I love efficiency and can be very pragmatic so I focus on what works and try to concentrate my efforts there.

What good does it do to excuse myself, etc if it doesn't get me what I want? I want to have understanding and harmony and mutual benefit. I want to have enjoyment and pleasantness. If I am concentrating on how everyone else can accommodate me I don't get what I want. I just get frustration.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I want to have understanding and harmony and mutual benefit. I want to have enjoyment and pleasantness. If I am concentrating on how everyone else can accommodate me I don't get what I want. I just get frustration.
    I've actually found the Satir modes and NLP works in conflicts (but it is really hard to do).

But I suppose knowing type can give a sort of "background understanding" when resolving conflict. I will try it to see what happens.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've actually found the Satir modes and NLP works in conflicts (but it is really hard to do).

But I suppose knowing type can give a sort of "background understanding" when resolving conflict. I will try it to see what happens.
    I rarely get into those kinds of verbal confrontations. Generally it's more subtle than that. I want more than just to avoid conflict. I want the people around me to be happy and to be satisfied with the interactions between us. I also want to be happy and satisfied. If I know how to honor the things that matter to them in our interactions, it is easier to negotiate and navigate.

In the case of getting a decision from my husband, I try to present a few (not unlimited) options that I am okay with. I avoid showing emotion when presenting the decision I want made and the options I'm suggesting. I let him know that I don't really care which thing he chooses or if he chooses something else altogether but I do need a decision. I tell him I don't need to know immediately, but within the next few days. I check back in with him about the decision if has not brought it up and listen to him explain his reasoning (it almost always makes very good sense). If I see a possible oversight in his data, I offer it in a polite way. I listen to what he says about the new data. I verify that I have his decision and what it is and I thank him for it.

This does not reduce his discomfort with the actual decision making, but it does seem to make him feel less pressured and keeps me from thinking that a decision has been made when he is simply listening to me without stating an opinion one way or another.

It is not a perfect system, but it is what I have developed thus far and I am pleased with the results most of the time.
    ~ John Rogers

Thumbs up Glad to hear it

I rarely get into those kinds of verbal confrontations. Generally it's more subtle than that. I want more than just to avoid conflict. I want the people around me to be happy and to be satisfied with the interactions between us. I also want to be happy and satisfied. If I know how to honor the things that matter to them in our interactions, it is easier to negotiate and navigate.

In the case of getting a decision from my husband, I try to present a few (not unlimited) options that I am okay with. I avoid showing emotion when presenting the decision I want made and the options I'm suggesting. I let him know that I don't really care which thing he chooses or if he chooses something else altogether but I do need a decision. I tell him I don't need to know immediately, but within the next few days. I check back in with him about the decision if has not brought it up and listen to him explain his reasoning (it almost always makes very good sense). If I see a possible oversight in his data, I offer it in a polite way. I listen to what he says about the new data. I verify that I have his decision and what it is and I thank him for it.

This does not reduce his discomfort with the actual decision making, but it does seem to make him feel less pressured and keeps me from thinking that a decision has been made when he is simply listening to me without stating an opinion one way or another.

It is not a perfect system, but it is what I have developed thus far and I am pleased with the results most of the time.

Robot Fusion