User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Tertiary and inferior functions when they're not childish or immature, just subtle

An idea that brought up this subject is here, a quote from a description of ENTJ: "Feeling in this type appears most authentic when implied or expressed covertly in a firm handshake, accepting demeanor, or act of sacrifice thinly covered by excuses of lack of any personal interest in the relinquished item."

Aged 31, I don't consider myself - or the people of my age - generally "immature" with their 3rd or 4th function. Some are, yes. I've had an extreme experience of Fi due to my recent burnout, from which I have recovered. I felt a lot, thought a lot.

So what do you say, how are the 3rd and 4th functions displayed in a good manner - if however weak - in any of the types you know?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Wrote this, went to have a day's work, and find this unanswered? Bah!

Lets replace the thread with

"top 10 meals you like"

"infj suck, don't they? OMG!"

"hlep me I am na NEJT nad Thi sis a typologuy cntral so hleb me pleas??? ih av trubi; l wight my giurlfriend"

/thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Wrote this, went to have a day's work, and find this unanswered? Bah!

Lets replace the thread with

"top 10 meals you like"

"hlep me I am na NEJT nad Thi sis a typologuy cntral so hleb me pleas??? ih av trubi; l wight my giurlfriend"

/thread
    I was gonna respond, but then I got distracted.

But I like your suggestions.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    I was gonna respond, but then I got distracted.

But I like your suggestions.
    Thanks. So what of them you want to talk about?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

How bout...

- Costrin

MBTI
    ENTJ

Okay. Well, they don't, really. They have this tertiary Ti, which is said to be immature, but actually the INFJ I know work well within the confines of reason. While they're not usually the nuclear scientists or the marvelous satirists, screenwriters etc, most of them seem to have a good grasp of the reality via deep understanding of the subject. So, props for them for grasping Ti.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Okay. Well, they don't, really. They have this tertiary Ti, which is said to be immature, but actually the INFJ I know work well within the confines of reason. While they're not usually the nuclear scientists or the marvelous satirists, screenwriters etc, most of them seem to have a good grasp of the reality via deep understanding of the subject. So, props for them for grasping Ti.
    Aye. The tertiary Ti can make them look like NTs. And it's anything but weak. Not that I know any INFJs IRL. But on the forums at least, INFJs are pretty awesome.
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTJ

Okay. Just a technical interruption to our program : I'm awfully tired, and will go to sleep. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

As an INFJ scientist, I rely on my tertiary Ti a great deal and have developed it to a high degree. However, there is a heavy price to pay for overusing the tertiary, which is that it can lead to inferior function burnout. You mention your own experience of Fi burnout, so I'm sure you can relate.

My Se is also quite well developed, as my job requires painstaking attention to masses and masses of minute details. But too much abuse of my Ti/Se functions can trigger a full-blown inferior function reaction, much like those described by Naomi Quenk in her book about the Inferior Function.

When this happens, I suddenly become very obsessive and anal about details and can no longer see the wood for the trees. I become incapable of making decisions. I may get totally "stuck" on sensory processing - surfing the net for hours or playing computer games or mindlessly watching TV or overindulging in food or alcohol. Even though this is neither pleasant nor enjoyable, I cannot seem to stop until I basically collapse from exhaustion. I lose all track of time and neglect my responsiblities. If I'm in company, I may babble on endlessly about whatever is obsessing me. I may be unable to sleep from overstimulation, so the next day may be even worse.

Thankfully, I seem to have gotten a better balance in my life recently. If I remember to take time out to exercise my preferred Ni in some way (posting on this forum is one thing that seems to help), then I am less prone to these inferior blow-outs.

My point is this: we can indeed develop a high level of skill in our less-preferred functions, but we still have to be careful not to overuse them. They work best when used to serve and support our dominant/auxiliary combo, but they will flare out of control if we place them in charge instead of our natural preferences.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    As an INFJ scientist, I rely on my tertiary Ti a great deal and have developed it to a high degree. However, there is a heavy price to pay for overusing the tertiary, which is that it can lead to inferior function burnout. You mention your own experience of Fi burnout, so I'm sure you can relate.

My Se is also quite well developed, as my job requires painstaking attention to masses and masses of minute details. But too much abuse of my Ti/Se functions can trigger a full-blown inferior function reaction, much like those described by Naomi Quenk in her book about the Inferior Function.

When this happens, I suddenly become very obsessive and anal about details and can no longer see the wood for the trees. I become incapable of making decisions. I may get totally "stuck" on sensory processing - surfing the net for hours or playing computer games or mindlessly watching TV or overindulging in food or alcohol. Even though this is neither pleasant nor enjoyable, I cannot seem to stop until I basically collapse from exhaustion. I lose all track of time and neglect my responsiblities. If I'm in company, I may babble on endlessly about whatever is obsessing me. I may be unable to sleep from overstimulation, so the next day may be even worse.

Thankfully, I seem to have gotten a better balance in my life recently. If I remember to take time out to exercise my preferred Ni in some way (posting on this forum is one thing that seems to help), then I am less prone to these inferior blow-outs.

My point is this: we can indeed develop a high level of skill in our less-preferred functions, but we still have to be careful not to overuse them. They work best when used to serve and support our dominant/auxiliary combo, but they will flare out of control if we place them in charge instead of our natural preferences.
    TRUTH.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke