User Tag List

12 Last

Default Bones of type theory contention! My Te is hanging out...

I will introduce three subjects that frequently frustrate me regarding the common understanding/viewpoint of various aspects of personality type theory. You can like or hate what I have to say, but I'd rather hear good arguments for or against what I'm suggesting. A lovely discussion!

BONES :steam:
    1. Why do people often have such a hard time believing that physical appearance could be related to their personality type?

The belief that people are blank slates at birth has largely been tossed out in the cognitive science community and we know that what goes on in our brains (and what is determined by DNA) expresses itself physically quite often.

I will agree that the Socionics physical descriptions can be hit or miss. But if you look at the "Types and Celebrities" page the similarities on the faces of people of the same type are uncanny.

What are people so scared of when it comes to the theory that a person's type expresses itself visually on a person's face in the form of physical characteristics and especially facial expressions? I'd like to hear about it.

2. Why the need to be an X anything? For instance, IXFP, XNTJ, etc.? For those of you who really understand different type theories, I find it confusing that you would think X is legitimate. Just because you relate to two sides does not mean you are X. Because it's about functions. They are either dominant or not. Dominant is not all-encompassing, it is simply dominant. A cat dominating a mouse does not necessarily mean that the mouse ceases to exist, the cat is simply in charge. I would liken that analogy to functions. One function will be dominant, and two functions never equal.

3. I get confused when people say they were at one time a certain type and then another later on, that they changed types, because they tested differently before. And I hear that this is maybe because of how they were raised, pressured to behave, etc. But that is not really possible. Just because you tested a certain way because you were conditioned to behave a certain way does not mean you "used to be" a certain other type. It merely means you were not being yourself and therefore answered how you were conditioned to. Or am I way off base?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I agree with most of what you've said, even facial expressions, I just draw the line at physical characteristics because so often looks are deceiving.

you actually want a contention? that reminds me of the jeans advertisement, where the guy goes into the gay bodybuilder bar and shouts an insult or something.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

hahaha, Bone of Ne-ness @jeans ad
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I agree with most of what you've said, even facial expressions, I just draw the line at physical characteristics because so often looks are deceiving.
    *nods*

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    you actually want a contention? that reminds me of the jeans advertisement, where the guy goes into the gay bodybuilder bar and shouts an insult or something.
    Hehe... I don't know. My Te wanted to speak its mind. I personally don't like fighting too much.

okay, i will invest some Fe loyalty, (assuming we are both down with Pi,Fe,Pi,Te)

1) cuz people are ignorant ie their first cognitive function is not perceiving but judging, so the will have wishful believes, like "if it were true, it could be abused for discrimination, therefore it can not be true" or "if it were true, i would have to reconsider my world view which is based on chaos theory and reductionism and so many beautiful little proofs, and i can no do that, cant start all over again, building myself into a box of meaningless profs, therefore it can not be true" then both will argue "show me your VI skills, and if you are not impressively good, i will take it for proven that it VI is not possible" LOL ... but you see, people believe in atheism, because the mere thought of reincarnation or facing their true self after death, or worse, their ancestors, scares them shit less. and they believe, that they have a choice, like that shit would go away if you just would not believe in it. that is just normal pre rationality. lets have compassion.

also, they are often rather blind in terms of facial recognition, and really dont want to admit that. very understandable!

okay, in all sincerity, let's let aside the obvious impairment of dominant judgers, for a second: rationality is not really related to that, it gets evoked once at least 3 or 4 functions are consciously used, but even then some people may be visually impaired, which is unrelated to type.
    i used to be pre rational in my own Fe style, back in the days. still, physiognomy was allays obvious to me.

2) we just had a thread about that. for me its because of how people would interpret J and P. i don't want to be associated with the worst of their ill informed prejudices, if i can get associated with less bad prejudices instead.

3) i am with you, if we are taking about what is generally the case, but on the other hand, you can not prove what is possible or impossible, so lets be modest. (this is actually my Te talking)

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    3) i am with you, if we are taking about what is generally the case, but on the other hand, you can not prove what is possible or impossible, so lets be modest.
    Umm, are you asking my Te to be modest? Hahahahahaha... My Te thinks it's the shit. That said, I'm embarrassed now, just a bit. I hope I didn't offend anybody, honestly.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    2. Why the need to be an X anything? For instance, IXFP, XNTJ, etc.? For those of you who really understand different type theories, I find it confusing that you would think X is legitimate. Just because you relate to two sides does not mean you are X. Because it's about functions. They are either dominant or not. Dominant is not all-encompassing, it is simply dominant. A cat dominating a mouse does not necessarily mean that the mouse ceases to exist, the cat is simply in charge. I would liken that analogy to functions. One function will be dominant, and two functions never equal.
    So you'll prefer every function to varying degrees, right? Like you prefer various foods. What says that there has to be a hierarchy? Maybe you prefer broccoli to carrots sometimes, and sometimes vice-versa, with neither one occurring more often. Maybe you eat them both because you don't like choosing and couldn't bear to live life without either one.

That's why X is possible. Even though in theory, one will probably have a miniscule "preference", in reality if the difference is so small to be undetectable, it's not a distinction worth making. The theory goes that most people will be in binomial groups, but I think reality is closer to a bell curve, with many near the middle.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Umm, are you asking my Te to be modest? Hahahahahaha... My Te thinks it's the shit. That said, I'm embarrassed now, just a bit. I hope I didn't offend anybody, honestly.
    you know what its like with Te. there can be only one