User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default X's do NOT exist!

If I could pick out just one flaw in the Typology theory, this would be the one. While one letter may determine a certain set of tendencies, the whole of the four letter code is much greater than the sum of its parts. I would suggest to anyone who asserts that they are an INFx that they should analyze further, because it is not possible to dodge categorization. An ENTP who has a structured lifestyle is disciplined, not hybrid. The notion of an IxFJ is paradoxical, and one who claims to belong to this type may identify wholly with both of their Si & Ni dominant cousins, but they will either categorize their information in a concrete grid or they won't. I have drawn this conclusion from my observations.
    When I first found MBTI, I was puzzled at how the ENTP seemed like me in some ways, but worlds apart in others. I tested ENTP time after time, because my Fi prizes clarity of thought. My Fi feels that in regard to decision making, emotions are a fog at their most benign. On this note, I look a bit different from most of the other ENFP's that I come into contact with, but I would never consider myself an ENxP. This is because Ne by itself is an intelligence devoid of any reality until its "brand" is specified. The Ti version of Ne is a very different animal from the Fi version. Only when I realized that my Ne focused on possibilities to improve myself, rather than to improve conditions, was I able to identify with the ENFP camp. There are some very talkative introverts out there, but that doesn't mean that their psychological focus is not predominantly psychic. I don't work the same as an NT by any means, but I consider rationality and intuition the highest forms of intelligence, so in order to be in line with my own values (which an NF must be), I feel at home when I am behaving rationally. I also consider it the greatest sin to feel that any subjective belief should be applied universally, and any belief of mine that doesn't hold up to an objective external standard is immediately abandoned. Thus, my behavior, dictated by these F sentiments, resembles typical "T" behavior in many ways. (Which is not to say that I look like an ENTP, or any T type in particular.) But I could see how others would think that they are between two types, when they are in fact merely an emotional thinker or a practical intuitionist.
    Do you agree or disagree?

Agreed. That they don't exist in theory, most people are one or another.

Disagree in the sense that it's useful for people to represent themselves. There's a reason people use things like iNfP for example. However I generally disagree with the notion that functions are fixed and fully believe that it's possible to have somebody with high Fi/Ti combined. (Obviously one will be the natural/prefered one.) or someone with a strong Si/Ni nature. Meh... it's all just things to capture how a person thinks.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Agreed 100%.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

I agree with Kai.

Technically I think you are correct, but if people want to express themselves in more individualized way I don't see any harm in showing themselves as iNtP or EXTJ

although an X is inaccurate, as there is always a preference.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Agreed. I think rather than x's existing, there's just a strong development of some function common to the opposite of whatever "letter" is in question. Like an INTJ with overdeveloped S sensibilities or something.
    VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VIVCI
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

MBTI
    Zzzz

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Into It
    If I could pick out just one flaw in the Typology theory, this would be the one.
    Who's theory? lol People just perpetuate what they want because of uncertainty or misinformation, which in turn perpetuates further wrong, and because some refuse to be "boxed". When if they learned further, MBTI isn't about being boxed but of removing oneself from their limitations within their own box by evolving in a healthy manner. That's how you get out of the box. You learn to do this by developing yourself in a manner that's best suited to your top two functions because you're most conscious and familiar with them with occasional relief/interference from your Tert. The rest vary based on your individual awareness which you place on them when necessary or out of necessity due to your circumstances. They oscillate all the time, regardless.

Wish people understood this more.

I also consider it the greatest sin to feel that any subjective belief should be applied universally, and any belief of mine that doesn't hold up to an objective external standard is immediately abandoned. Thus, my behavior, dictated by these F sentiments, resembles typical "T" behavior in many ways. (Which is not to say that I look like an ENTP, or any T type in particular.)
    It just means you've developed your Aux well enough and are strengthening your Tert to support you in relief instead of hinder you. So what you're doing is Ne orientation-Te support, by Fi's guideline. It's not one of dictation or else you would be applying your Fi universally and inappropriately at that. It's a Benevolent ruler, not a Dictator. (I know that's not what you meant by dictated but I think using guideline is more preferable in this case. ) You'd be well balanced in this respect. It's why you might look T to people who are unfamiliar with what a balanced person looks like due to stereotypes about F/T (nvm the rest of I/E J/P etc zz). The type you look in particular is a well balanced person who just happens to be ENFP.

deleted

Disagree.

At a certain moment in time one fits into category, and another moment, another category. In likelihood these moments will represent the same category, however some one person can represent two categories by subjecting an inconcludable combination of moments. This is more noticeable in N types. There is an example that an ENTJ fits with the INFJ profile, but has chosen ENTJ to make a clear division. For an example of INFX, no such division exists. The INFX is planned in many aspects and quite casual for many aspects of equal personal significance. There is no standard, for no one would meet a standard. Theory however subjects black and white thinking for simplicity. Simplicity is well appreciated.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    There is no standard, for no one would meet a standard. Theory however subjects black and white thinking for simplicity. Simplicity is well appreciated.
    There is no black and white thinking nor is there of simplicity regarding it. The black and white thinking or simplicity is due to people who've misunderstood how MBTI works. The system is fairly complex. The simplicity is largely misunderstood by the four letters which people mainly believe constitute their prefs when they're only representative of their "type" holistically. The only thing those four letters indicate is the rest of one's preferences but not of an order to them. This is one reason why MBTI is mostly misunderstood. The preferences after the first two vary greatly according to the individual. The functions are tailor made for you by you and not of a composite "type". They oscillate during an individual's circumstances from moment to moment, whether aware or not, in positive, negative or neutral manners. How well we use them depends upon our awareness placed upon them and whether or not we favour them if we've developed them well enough not to feel deficient.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by zarc View Post
    There is no black and white thinking nor is there of simplicity regarding it. The black and white thinking or simplicity is due to people who've misunderstood how MBTI works. The system is fairly complex. The simplicity is largely misunderstood by the four letters which people mainly believe constitute their prefs when they're only representative of their "type" holistically. The only thing those four letters indicate is the rest of one's preferences but not of an order to them. This is one reason why MBTI is mostly misunderstood. The preferences after the first two vary greatly according to the individual. The functions are tailor made for you by you and not of a composite "type". They oscillate during an individual's circumstances from moment to moment, whether aware or not, in positive, negative or neutral manners. How well we use them depends upon our awareness placed upon them and whether or not we favour them if we've developed them well enough not to feel deficient.
    I agree. Though I think typing is relative of the people in the sample. If one J type by a large scale closer to P than average, I'd consider him an X. It doesn't matter if he's mostly J. This mostly is a 51/49 ratio and makes it more clear that this person is too P to be a full fledged J. If more people used the X system of typing, X types wouldn't seem so ambiguous. An X means a lot more than deciding by a tiny percentage what your preference is. If I were as low as 55% J, I would call myself X, so people understand that I'm not that J, that I have P tendency in a lot of aspects of my life.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    If I could pick out just one flaw in the Typology theory, this would be the one. While one letter may determine a certain set of tendencies, the whole of the four letter code is much greater than the sum of its parts. I would suggest to anyone who asserts that they are an INFx that they should analyze further, because it is not possible to dodge categorization. An ENTP who has a structured lifestyle is disciplined, not hybrid. The notion of an IxFJ is paradoxical, and one who claims to belong to this type may identify wholly with both of their Si & Ni dominant cousins, but they will either categorize their information in a concrete grid or they won't. I have drawn this conclusion from my observations.
    When I first found MBTI, I was puzzled at how the ENTP seemed like me in some ways, but worlds apart in others. I tested ENTP time after time, because my Fi prizes clarity of thought. My Fi feels that in regard to decision making, emotions are a fog at their most benign. On this note, I look a bit different from most of the other ENFP's that I come into contact with, but I would never consider myself an ENxP. This is because Ne by itself is an intelligence devoid of any reality until its "brand" is specified. The Ti version of Ne is a very different animal from the Fi version. Only when I realized that my Ne focused on possibilities to improve myself, rather than to improve conditions, was I able to identify with the ENFP camp. There are some very talkative introverts out there, but that doesn't mean that their psychological focus is not predominantly psychic. I don't work the same as an NT by any means, but I consider rationality and intuition the highest forms of intelligence, so in order to be in line with my own values (which an NF must be), I feel at home when I am behaving rationally. I also consider it the greatest sin to feel that any subjective belief should be applied universally, and any belief of mine that doesn't hold up to an objective external standard is immediately abandoned. Thus, my behavior, dictated by these F sentiments, resembles typical "T" behavior in many ways. (Which is not to say that I look like an ENTP, or any T type in particular.) But I could see how others would think that they are between two types, when they are in fact merely an emotional thinker or a practical intuitionist.
    Do you agree or disagree?
    Look at the rainbow.
    The divide is in the middle.
    The divided is not.

On the other hand you may look at the dichotomy of Mendel.
    What comes around goes around.

Preference is not a category.