User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Symbolic learning: Part of the J/P dichotomy?

This is an idea that a friend of mine had (I'm keeping them anonymous for now because I'm not sure they want the attention). Anyway, they believed that J's think symbolically, which would mean through words/numbers/icons. P's on the other hand, supposedly think graphically/visually, which would explain to me why their thoughts seem to be less fixed, like a movie that changes scenes from one moment to the next, and mine are arranged more like a book. I can't verify this idea, but it seems at least plausible, since interpreting reality through words, which point to things in a more specific way than pictures, would lead to slightly more predictable and rigid behaviors.

As for myself, I usually have to use language to comprehend my thoughts, and when I see a picture/envision something, I almost immediately translate it into words/symbols to make sense of them to myself and others. Language is also my strongest skill set.

So, do all Perceiving types think graphically, or do some of you think in words as well? Do all other Judges think in words/symbols? I don't know where this theory came from, and I'd like to see if it actually applies to most people's preferences.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Thinking visually is something I'm terribly poor at. (I don't think in words, either... I've been wondering how I think. I really can't describe it. I have to translate thoughts to "words" to communicate them to others, but it's certainly not a visual thing going on.)

I heard that women are generally not visual, whereas more men are. I know I certainly fit into that stereotype.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Well, I definitely think visually and I'm a P.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Well, I definitely think visually and I'm a P.
    And a male, right? (Let's see about Usehername's theory while we're at it!)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    intp

I wrote a lengthy response but am editting it away because frankly my point was that I can relate to both thinking/learning styles and I can't limit myself to one and I don't know which I prefer or which is more me.
    Last edited by Kaveri; 08-22-2007 at 07:18 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ

Female, J, very visual, but then I also have a near photographic memory.

However, for years I used to say "I see words" and be unable to explain to others just what I meant. I think I use symbols / icons the most when dealing with my second language. I am fluent in both, but have a definite preference, I tend to use symbols when thinking in French.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    I'm female.

I would prefer J but I act on P, so I guess I'm P.

I'm not sure if I think in symbols or images. I can identify with both.

I have a habit of translating emotions and sounds into (semi-)abstract visualizations: for instance, if I feel anxious and stressed, I may have a vision of being stuck in a burning house or when I hear a melody, I might think of it as a misty combination of pink and grey or waves and coils of very pure colours. I also have visualizations for numbers: zero is like a surface below which numbers spiral down into dark, icy nothingness and above zero numbers look more like a staircase. I like geometry and other visual fields of math.

But also, when I look at a mathematical figure, I translate it into words. When I speak or listen to someone else speak, I often imagine the sentences in written language. It helps me to concentrate to read aloud and I do think in sentences. I can translate visions into language. My visions are not very detailed-- I've usually found it quite difficult to imagine book characters' facial features, for example (but it hasn't bothered me).
    That actually sounds like it might be symbolic rather than visual. So, do you need a certain amount of structure in your behavior, or can you just deal with anything spur of the moment? I'm a J because I need a certain amount of order and predictability, not because I'm organized. In fact, my home is usually a mess unless there's a possibility that people will come over. But I'm very particular about my grammar and spelling, and I can keep my ideas and definitions in good order. NJ's are somewhat different from SJ's in what they organize. However, whenever I make an appointment or have a deadline, I always arrive/finish early if it's at all possible.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    I wrote a lengthy response but am editting it away because frankly my point was that I can relate to both thinking/learning styles and I can't limit myself to one and I don't know which I prefer or which is more me.
    I am sorry that you edited a very good post.

MBTI
    INFP

I think I do a combination of both to be honest, I can visualise very well, and sometimes do think in moving pictures, but sometimes I think in words, just words, I remember because once when I was interested in astral projection and things like that, I had alot of trouble letting go of thinking in words, I couldn't just visualise without using words, I would use the words to create the visual as it was something unfamiliar.

Once it becomes familiar, no words are needed, does this make any sense to you?
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    This is an idea that a friend of mine had (I'm keeping them anonymous for now because I'm not sure they want the attention). Anyway, they believed that J's think symbolically, which would mean through words/numbers/icons. P's on the other hand, supposedly think graphically/visually, which would explain to me why their thoughts seem to be less fixed, like a movie that changes scenes from one moment to the next, and mine are arranged more like a book. I can't verify this idea, but it seems at least plausible, since interpreting reality through words, which point to things in a more specific way than pictures, would lead to slightly more predictable and rigid behaviors.

As for myself, I usually have to use language to comprehend my thoughts, and when I see a picture/envision something, I almost immediately translate it into words/symbols to make sense of them to myself and others. Language is also my strongest skill set.

So, do all Perceiving types think graphically, or do some of you think in words as well? Do all other Judges think in words/symbols? I don't know where this theory came from, and I'd like to see if it actually applies to most people's preferences.

This may be more extraversion vs intraversion, than J vs P. A mechanism for interacting with the world (either internalised as thoughts and ideas, or externalised in visible symbols and notation)

-Geoff