User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default Shadow/Opposite Types

    So I have a question... From what I know, when a person is under stress, they supposedly act like their opposite type. But what exactly would this opposite type be?...

    For example, an ISTJ's functions are Si>Te>Fi>Ne. Under stress, they do they act like their opposite letters of ENFP (Ne>Fi>Te>Si), OR... ESTP (Se>Ti>Fe>Ni) ?

    Me personally, I act like an ESTP. Just curious what it generally is, thanks.

  2. #2
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    I've read the same.

    One known opposite for me is ESTP / INFJ.

    Opposite means all four letters different, right?

  3. #3
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I think thats too easy to say under stress you automatically act like your opposite.

    But looked at the thing, logical mathematically: in socionics there are quadras, which consist of 4 types having a similiar agenda. Given the ISTJ would react like his opposite, according to socionics this would be ENFP, because the ESTP is in the same quadra like the ISTJ.

    Same goes for ENTP for example (Ne,Ti,Fe,Si) and the opposites ISFJ (Si,Fe,Ti,Ne), INTJ (Ni,Te,Fi,Se). And INTJ is the same quadra again, now the whole thing just switches because the P, as opposed to the J of the ISTJ in the above example.

    That're in the end though, just only logic games, which have no real application for you showing a certain personality, when under stress.

    It says more about compability between the different opposites of functions.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  4. #4
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,441

    Default

    I would think that under some level of stress, when the inferior might surface more, you would become like the type with all the letters opposite. Under more stress, the other four functions even deeper in the unconscious surface, and you could become either your "opposing personality" (the type with the same functions in the same order, but with the i/e attitudes reversed--same two middle letters; outer letters both reversed), or the total opposite, with all eight in reverse (type with two middle letters changed).

    (this should probably be merged with the old thread on this someone just resurrected yesterday/today).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  5. #5
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I would think that under some level of stress, when the inferior might surface more, you would become like the type with all the letters opposite. Under more stress, the other four functions even deeper in the unconscious surface, and you could become either your "opposing personality" (the type with the same functions in the same order, but with the i/e attitudes reversed--same two middle letters; outer letters both reversed), or the total opposite, with all eight in reverse (type with two middle letters changed).

    (this should probably be merged with the old thread on this someone just resurrected yesterday/today).
    Very interesting expansion, a good read!

  6. #6
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    I don't really buy the acting like your opposite type under stress thing.

    I've pretty much never acted like an ESTP in my life, and when I do, it's because I'm comfortable, not stressed.

    When I get stressed I go into super Ni-Ti mode.

  7. #7
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I don't really buy the acting like your opposite type under stress thing. I've pretty much never acted like an ESTP in my life, and when I do, it's because I'm comfortable, not stressed. When I get stressed I go into super Ni-Ti mode.
    1. You don't act like your opposite in the same way your opposite does, it's just aspects of that opposite.

    2. If you're still in your primary/secondary combo, either you have your primary/secondary combo mislabeled and aren't the type you think you are... or you're not stressed enough yet.

    The stress point is essentially where all your OLD normal instinctive ways of doing things are not resolving the issue and can't, and you don't know what to do and fall into some sort of extreme pattern that follows a different pathway in hopes of finding resolution. That's what the shadow is -- a brief abandonment of all the normal ways in which you cope with life because you're against the wall for too long a time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #8
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    1. You don't act like your opposite in the same way your opposite does, it's just aspects of that opposite.

    2. If you're still in your primary/secondary combo, either you have your primary/secondary combo mislabeled and aren't the type you think you are... or you're not stressed enough yet.

    The stress point is essentially where all your OLD normal instinctive ways of doing things are not resolving the issue and can't, and you don't know what to do and fall into some sort of extreme pattern that follows a different pathway in hopes of finding resolution. That's what the shadow is -- a brief abandonment of all the normal ways in which you cope with life because you're against the wall for too long a time.
    In that case, I don't know if I've ever been stressed enough for Ni-Ti to be abandoned, even in times of extreme trauma (although, you could argue that my over-the-top reliance on Ti means that I'm always in somewhat of shadow mode).

  9. #9
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    In that case, I don't know if I've ever been stressed enough for Ni-Ti to be abandoned, even in times of extreme trauma (although, you could argue that my over-the-top reliance on Ti means that I'm always in somewhat of shadow mode).
    Yeah.

    As far as the basic concept goes -- I have an INFP friend who, when he's stressed and his values and intuition can't resolve a situation, he slams into Te mode and tries to micromanage and resolve practical issues and "work the problem." He gets extremely obsessive about it and can run himself into the ground in exhaustion.

    Sometimes shadow mode can help identify primary, if there's an issue with figuring that out. I don't do Te -- when I'm stressed, working an issue of secondary important to me (and I have only started doing that in the last few years, because I realized sometimes that resolving a practical issue can remove stress). I get hypersensitive, I start imagining everyone's judging me, I feel socially inadequate and start wanting to manipulate people to alleviate their judgments or get them off my back, etc. If possible, I pull back into myself (avoiding people); but I can't, then the Fe-nutsiness fully blooms.

    When Si-primary people I know stress out, they tend to get paranoid, have wild imaginings of destruction and devastation, speculate on the craziest things, etc -- Ne gone wild, basically, but driven by Si-prioritized fears.

    And of course like you say, if you don't totally follow your primary all the time anyway, or are operating under some stress all the time to start with, other things perhaps can be mixed into it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Yea. I agree with Jennifer.

    I don't think short term stress is strong enough. Stress would just push one into a state of Dom + Tert. But with long term stress or depression, I'd say one manifests their Shadow type. Or as Jennifer said merely aspects of it.

    The only time my ESTP best/f told me that she related to me best was during a few years during HS while I was depressed-- or rather, after having been in an extremely distant state during my depression (Ni-Ti), I began to act out (of it) after I'd recharged enough. I didn't "act" like her but I openly said things contrary to how I'd normally soften them, cutting people down, toying with them brazenly, among other things. There was a thrill and release to it. How I said what I said wasn't similar (not even close) to her but complementary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    In that case, I don't know if I've ever been stressed enough for Ni-Ti to be abandoned, even in times of extreme trauma (although, you could argue that my over-the-top reliance on Ti means that I'm always in somewhat of shadow mode).
    Even with extreme physical trauma I just went into Ni-Ti. It's always after a long time of being incredibly vacant and emotionless, operating under forced Ni-Ti and having completely removed myself from Fe, that Inferior Se pushes me into a form of Ni-Se madness... Nah, I don't think your over the top reliance means you're always in Shadow mode. It may be just an unhealthy Tertiary attachment or you've cultivated Ti to your favour out of necessity. But if you're not stretching your Fe well enough, then I'd say it can become unhealthy for you.

Similar Threads

  1. Opposite type parents
    By meshou in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
  2. 9 Q's of your opposite type!
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 02:02 AM
  3. Exact opposite types
    By NewEra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 10:15 AM
  4. Do you revert to your opposite type under stress?
    By DaRick in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO