User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    I

So when you're stressed what's the supposed Shadow type that people revert into?

As an ISTJ, would I become the INFJ or ESTP or the complete opposite four letters... the ENFP? Or something different?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

The theory is ISTJ => ENFP

Under stress you start using your ill-practiced inferior and tertiary functions because your dominant and auxiliary aren't cut it for the job.

That's the theory, but I've found no support of this from looking at people's behaviour.

Instead it seems to me like the "6th" function what's suppose to be the (witch) shadow auxiliary, seems to misbehave under stress.

ISTJ => Si Te Fi Ne Se Ti Fe Ni
    6th would be Ti.
    Tendency to be stubborn, rigid in defining the system. Paralysis in analysis. Hesitancy in moving forward. (Si Ti)

Truth or BS in your opinion?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

This is something I have been curious about...this and whether we have different types that we implement - e.g. how many adopt an 'outside voice' - face to the world that is totally different than their real type?
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post

Under stress you start using your ill-practiced inferior and tertiary functions because your dominant and auxiliary aren't cut it for the job.

That's the theory, but I've found no support of this from looking at people's behaviour.

Instead it seems to me like the "6th" function what's suppose to be the (witch) shadow auxiliary, seems to misbehave under stress.

6th would be Ti.
    Tendency to be stubborn, rigid in defining the system. Paralysis in analysis. Hesitancy in moving forward. (Si Ti)

Hmm... what you say is interesting. When I'm under stress I find I usually bring out my values, what's ultimately important to me, and what motivates me, thus my Fi. I think my Fi is very strong under stress. I usually push through and work harder to overcome the stress. I can't think of any other process that's as high as my Fi under stress.

MBTI
    ENFP

I just read a few posts, but...No, no, no!

If you are an ESTP, you are....your opposite would be...
    Se <> Si
    Ti <> Te
    Fe <> Fi
    Ni <> Ne ...The ISTJ
    Ni

For the ENFP,
    Ne <> Ni
    Fi <> Fe
    Te <> Ti
    Si <> Se....The INFJ. I have experienced this several times myself. My shadow figure becoming dominant, that is. It happens when in horrible stress, maybe if your house burns down or you lose a loved one. This is the ONLY time I have EVER behaved like a J, and my Ni was like electricity. So for me, the theory stood strong.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That means that when I'm under stress I act like an ESTJ? Probably. It would be that I was grasping at straws and desperate to simulate the horrific external control of my SJ grandfather which symbolized security most to me in childhood. People who know me well could probably actually verify that I get "weird" like that in especially bad situations.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post

6th would be Ti.

I do NOT buy this. Si Ti is paralyzing, as you said. Each P function must pair with a J function of opposite attitude.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    I just read a few posts, but...No, no, no!

If you are an ESTP, you are....your opposite would be...
    Se <> Si
    Ti <> Te
    Fe <> Fi
    Ni <> Ne ...The ISTJ
    Actually, that makes more sense than the ENFP theory. I said in the first post, under stress I think I act more ESTP than any other type.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

The theory where your two outer letters change sounds more plausible to me.

My sister is an ESTJ, and just the thought of me acting like her in any way (even if just a little) seems very unrealistic to me (even if it only applies to extreme stress situations)

garbage

Under stress, we'd probably reach into our tertiary, and maybe our inferior, when our normal course of action doesn't work. At least, I know I get all Te when I get stressed and frustrated; writing lists, organizing my time, and cutting through the crap when I deal with other people.

Reversing all four letters reverses your function order. So I guess that's plausible for an "opposite."