User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Am I a "J" or a "P"?

I have traits for both, but ever since I found out about MBTI, I considered myself a pretty strong P. Lately, I've started to question this, thinking that I might just be a lazy J. I'm going to make a couple lists.

J traits:
    -I've always been decisive.
    -I've never shyed away from commitment in romantic relationships.
    -I perform well in structured systems.
    -I have strong convictions which I don't compromise.
    -When I get excited about something, I do start to plan things out.
    -I don't have a problem telling people what I think.
    -I don't care if I offend people I don't care about.

P traits:
    -I hate structure, even though I perform well in it. I find it suffocating and do my best to avoid it.
    -I procrastinate quite a bit.
    -With big decisions, I will collect enormous amounts of information before I make the decision. I'm talking about things like buying a car, big screen TV, etc.
    -I don't like details. I only have a rough idea of how much money is in my bank account. I don't even care to know exactly how much I have. Close is good enough for me.
    -I avoid commitment on little things. For example, someone will ask me if I want to go out for dinner later. I'll never say "yes". At best, they'll get a "maybe".
    -When my excitement about something wanes, I become apathetic toward it.

I guess I'm probably borderline. I'm just looking for some opinions and insight, here.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

P. (Means not applicable, means dominant)

J traits:
    -I've always been decisive.
    -I've never shyed away from commitment in romantic relationships.
    -I perform well in structured systems.
    -I have strong convictions which I don't compromise.
    -When I get excited about something, I do start to plan things out.
    -I don't have a problem telling people what I think.
    -I don't care if I offend people I don't care about.

P traits:
    -I hate structure, even though I perform well in it. I find it suffocating and do my best to avoid it.
    -I procrastinate quite a bit. (if universal)
    -With big decisions, I will collect enormous amounts of information before I make the decision. I'm talking about things like buying a car, big screen TV, etc.
    -I don't like details. I only have a rough idea of how much money is in my bank account. I don't even care to know exactly how much I have. Close is good enough for me. (if there is no seperation on scope of the project, either through time of interest. If there is, then it's relevent where the transition happens)
    -I avoid commitment on little things. For example, someone will ask me if I want to go out for dinner later. I'll never say "yes". At best, they'll get a "maybe".
    -When my excitement about something wanes, I become apathetic toward it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    P. (Means not applicable, means dominant)

(List)
    What he said.

MBTI
    INTJ

I do this, too. I thought it was an IN thing.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I am a ridiculous procrastinator. So is another INTJ I know from another board. Like, serious problems. Sometimes I can conquer it, but my will waxes and wanes.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Personally I feel that 'procrastinates' (ARGH, I always spell that word wrong) is a bit misleading; the J/P distinction becomes another version of the ludicrously simplified "I hate people so I'm an I" approach to typing.

Taken together pt's list is great; don't just isolate individual traits and then use them to be an exception to the rule (I procrastinate - yes, got it right first time! - to the nth degree, but I'm pretty sure I'm still a J; just like I enjoy the company of others, within reason, and feel very sure I'm an I)
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Thanks for the replies. Are there any other potentially distinguishing traits that I failed to mention?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Are there any other potentially distinguishing traits that I failed to mention?
    I'd be interested in knowing how procedural you are - that is to say, do you follow set procedures, do you not follow them, do you reject them even if they work, how do you deal with them when they don't, do you think you can do better...

That'd unify a lot of your traits.

MBTI
    INTJ

... do you have an idea what you're going to be doing next weekend? My Jness is blinding and I can tell you even though I have no concrete plans for next weekend right now; I'll be at home, and x will be done at some point on Friday, y will be taken care of by Saturday and z(ed) will have been taken care of by lunch on Sunday.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I never liked the way the P/J dichotomy was generally described -- it seemed to always contradict with the other functions. It becomes engraved in our minds that the P procrastinates and the J works hard. In actuality, both will work hard on the things they're interested in and slack off on the things they aren't interested in.

I think, in general, society's definition of hard-working is solely attributed to SJs, because they have dogmatic focus on doing in the concrete world, but it still relates only to their passions. And SJs generally have the kind of passions that society values.

In the case of NJs, society may perceive them as lazy, simply because their focus is generally more on the abstract, but as Js, their focus is still obsessive.

The SP may seem lazy to the SJ, but as Sensors, they are also perceived as more or less active, physically, since their interests are also in the concrete world. The difference is that their focus on the concrete world is not consistent, so they give the impression of being flighty.

The NP is probably perceived as the laziest of all types, because they are both abstract and flighty. They're all about new ideas, but as Ps, they are also flaky and wishy-washy about their ideas.

The J is only perceived as hard-working insofar as being single-minded. But a lot more has to do with S and N than anything.

But all types will procrastinate when it comes time to engage their weaker functions.

I don't think the P is a procrastinator per se, but they are more comfortable with adapting to last-minute plans, which is something the J gets upset about.

Also note that making plans is extremely NJ. NJs can make very thorough plans on how they'll approach something but they'll also end up doing, which is more Sensory, at the last minute. The NJ's N side might be more comfortable about fantasizing about the plan rather than actually doing it -- unless they are dominated by or have a developed Extraverted function, which then makes the NJ become more assertive.

The SJ is a good planner, but their plans are not normally new plans -- they were more created by prescribed J habits. For example, SJs are more inclined to pay attention to scheduling, because schedules are both concrete and structural data.

The NJ would benefit from schedules, but their abstract nature leads them not to make them in the first place, because while they like the comfort of structure and habit and dislike surprises that would upset them, the N is less interested in practical necessities of scheduling, and so would less likely go through with it.