User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Ni Adrift

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Ni Adrift

The following is an attempt to encapsulate the inner world of Ni as experienced by the INFJ. There are ready misperceptions about what an INFJ looks like on the outside. Perhaps connecting momentarily to their inner world will shed some light. The infj doesn't always look like much at all externally.

Ni is a vast expanse of internalized perceptions and paradoxes. Extroverted Feeling and Sensing are absorbed readily and exhaustively filling an ocean of impressions. Nothing is discarded. It is like going through an old attic, but resisting throwing anything out - I might need this later. There is an instinctual drive onward towards completing the entire pattern, and so the mind works piecing together one by one every fleeting image and idea. There is little distinction between self and other in this immediate nuanced perception of the outside world. The mind is the sea drawing in rivers from every source. There is no initial process of dismissal. Everything is embraced.

The INFJ has two conflicting sources to negotiate this expanse: the first is Ni, the second Ti. These present an underlying conflict. Ni does its work in silence, unaware, piecing, realigning, examining, projecting, viewing every angle to how these endless impressions may become coherent. When this succeeds and a vast store of things align, the impression is powerful, arresting the attention. It can however, be in err. Ti is safer but requires elements of dismissal. It can dismiss something necessary for the unknown pattern. This creates a powerful internal conflict as neither approach can adequately deal with this sea of paradox.

Because of these processes, the INFJ tends to be outwardly withdrawn and easily overwhelmed. At the same time there is an underlying strength that has come to terms with every possible scenario.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is strange. I'm sort of like this, but not exactly. For one thing, I do dismiss some things initially. First, I dismiss the impossible. Then, I get rid of what's irrelevant to the context. Then I examine the remaining possibilities within the context, and choose whichever seems most likely, or whichever seems best, depending on the situation. I do tend to keep a lot of information, and lack a strong sense of self in several situations, though. I just tend to see myself as "another student, another citizen, etc."

The point is, I feel that I'm a lot more ordered and stable in my perceptions, while yours are very tentative and constantly changing, mine are only that way at certain times, when I have insufficient information, and feel paranoid.

I really think your description is interesting, though. How different is what I described, in your opinion, from your own experience of your perceptions? What might have caused this difference?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, I don't think that all INFJs have to be that way, but the way their functions are wired up, I would suspect that an INFJ can either be modest or daring, depending on the person.

Ni feels the motivation to express itself in a unique way and coming up with new ways of thinking or doing. The auxiliary Fe is more concerned with the reactions of other people -- and so when Ni wishes to express an internal vision, it will be in terms of other people -- such as through entertaining or shocking. This would therefore make the INFJ good at performing as well.

I think that I would more likely label Robert DeNiro an INFP than anything, because the INFP is indeed more perceptive of other people's feelings, because their perception function is directed outward and more aware of the possibilities of other people.

The INxJ is more aware of their internal visions. The INFJ uses their Ni to manipulate other people's feelings, through the use of Fe.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    The INxJ is more aware of their internal visions. The INFJ uses their Ni to manipulate other people's feelings, through the use of Fe.
    I don't like the word "manipulate" -- it's too negative.

Te manipulates circumstances and settings, so it can also be manipulative... but also very productive and affirming depending on how it is used.

Fe is simply aware of the rules of relationship and knows how to accurately convey its commitments and intentions to others in the conventional social language. In that sense, it is NOT being selfishly manipulative at all.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia
    The INFJ has two conflicting sources to negotiate this expanse: the first is Ni, the second Ti. These present an underlying conflict. Ni does its work in silence, unaware, piecing, realigning, examining, projecting, viewing every angle to how these endless impressions may become coherent. When this succeeds and a vast store of things align, the impression is powerful, arresting the attention. It can however, be in err. Ti is safer but requires elements of dismissal. It can dismiss something necessary for the unknown pattern. This creates a powerful internal conflict as neither approach can adequately deal with this sea of paradox.
    I agree with this. Ni sees everything, it WANTS to see everything and explore it, it HAS to see all the various perspectives without shutting one out -- for that is Truth. Ti, however, excludes things that don't fit the most "sensible" pattern -- its goal is to distill the best Truth out of the mix. Ni's truth is that "All is truth"; Ti's truth is that, "There is a best Truth... or not all truths are equal."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't like the word "manipulate" -- it's too negative.

Te manipulates circumstances and settings, so it can also be manipulative... but also very productive and affirming depending on how it is used.

Fe is simply aware of the rules of relationship and knows how to accurately convey its commitments and intentions to others in the conventional social language. In that sense, it is NOT being selfishly manipulative at all.
    I didn't mean manipulate in a negative way, but basically, that's what the judgment functions directed outward do. Ni mixed with Fe could have the motivation to entertain, so in essence, entertaining others is manipulating their emotions, for better or for worse.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The process of absorbing the world, drawing people in, is opposite of reaching out and impacting others through the projection of self into the concrete world.
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The process of absorbing the world, drawing people in, is opposite of reaching out and impacting others through the projection of self into the concrete world.
    Absorbing the world seems much more IxFP.

The Ni will envision themselves a certain way, and extravert that vision from the self using judgment.

The Ne will envision possibilities in the external world. This involves coming up with new ideas.

The Se sees what is in the external world. It seeks to experience and adapt, but not to change like the Ne would.

The Si is the most self aware. They are realistically aware of how they're feeling, their personal limits, their inner realities -- their introverted sensations. They don't idealize themselves or experience, they just are.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Based on what I've read about Ni, and from my experience with xNxJs my understanding is that Ni is about an inner vision of the ideal, of how things SHOULD be. The xNxJ desires to change the the world to fit his/her inner visions.
    Autistic INFP

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    Based on what I've read about Ni, and from my experience with xNxJs my understanding is that Ni is about an inner vision of the ideal, of how things SHOULD be. The xNxJ desires to change the the world to fit his/her inner visions.
    That's part of it. It's also about imagining how things might happen or seeing things the way the Ni wants to see things.

Si sees things as they're normally supposed to be -- Si is quick to point out mistakes about things that aren't obvious to other types.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree with this. Ni sees everything, it WANTS to see everything and explore it, it HAS to see all the various perspectives without shutting one out -- for that is Truth. Ti, however, excludes things that don't fit the most "sensible" pattern -- its goal is to distill the best Truth out of the mix. Ni's truth is that "All is truth"; Ti's truth is that, "There is a best Truth... or not all truths are equal."
    It's helpful to hear something well thought out that fits the pattern.

The fear of dismissal is because any dismissal could potentially distort the pattern. If you are given a mountain of puzzle pieces and begin sorting, sure there may be pieces that don't fit the current project, but who is to say they won't help complete another picture yet unknown. If given such a task can you see the hesitation to throw anything away? I find an instinctual assumption that everything is interconnected in some way - the search for truth is the search to understand the true nature of these connections. Even the absurd emerges from some place. It either stands as a metaphor for something real, or it may explore the opposite of the real. This doesn't mean that everything is accepted at face value - more accurately nothing is accepted at face value. It means everything is placed in limbo as potentially finding its future connection to the whole. It is a deep sort of agnosticism and skepticism because the task is so comprehensive and beyond reach, and yet it still drives forward.

There may also be an instinct towards a kind of 'unified theory'. I do find within myself the assumption that everything is connected to a whole, a singular concept. The underlying goal of finding the pattern is to find its core. There are glimmers of such occurring. For example, most violating behaviors can be traced back to an inflated sense of entitlement. Whether it is rape, murder, theft, insult, anything, these all result from the same spring, the same basic assumption in the individual. Once these unifying systems are discovered, it brings great freedom because it is reduced back to its essence, or principle, which has the ability to be reapplied in any context.
    (from Blue Velvet)