• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality and the internet.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Here's a question for you guys...

Do you think that the way a person behaves on the internet (if they behave differently than they do in real life) is their true personality, is it somewhat of a second personality, or something else?

Feel free to move this in the wrong category.

Oh, and this is a thread about opinions. I'm just bored asking random questions. :cheese:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My online posting style is how I behave around close friends and people I know. I am much more shy, much more reserved, in public and in general social settings. But if you were my friend in real life, my online persona would be an accurate representation of myself.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd say the internet is rather impersonal, at least from my standpoint. I know I'm much more reserved toward people in real life, mostly because the I see the internet as a place to gather and produce information at my own pace, and on the subjects I desire, rather than actual life. While I am interacting with real people, I know I'll never meet them IRL (yes there are exceptions, no I am not one of them) if anything, I'm more likely not to have even that slight care for the presence of others that I do in real life.

There is, however, no noticable difference in any reaction I would have- If I think you're an idiot I'll let you know, no matter what instance.

So I'd say not for me in particular, though maybe for the younger generations or less mature or something. Not too sure on that.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
After going to an online meetup it seemed like no one was surprised by my demeanour.
So I'd say that no, I'm not really that different online.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am less shy over the net, and a bit more open.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Could be someone is the same person in both. But the other, who observed a difference, seen that difference because of the way they interpreted the writing of the observed. Good thread. An NT would possably see another NTs writing grasping it's original intent. With the exception of INTJ. They require more precision. But that's how i interpret INTJs on the internet. In real life an INTJ would precisely interpret me everytime. While an SJ/SP may stack immediacy to the NTs intent. The i(NT)js immediacy only rests in the syntax of my way of communicating. I can't speak for anyone else, obviously. You are Isxx. I don't have any experience with that. They make eye opening threads though.

Last edited:
G

garbage

I'm all over the place in real life, just like my posting style here.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say the internet is rather impersonal...

...if anything, I'm more likely not to have even that slight care for the presence of others that I do in real life.

+1

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm more open in person and less worried about offending people or being misunderstood.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'm more open in person and less worried about offending people or being misunderstood.

Why? Are there not greater consequences for offending people in person than online?

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It varies from person to person how communicating over the internet effects them. Some might be more inhibited, while others will be less. I think that how you act, in many ways, all the time makes up who you are. Now I know there I times that you feel that you acted entirely as if that things that you did wasn't you at all. That's normal in some respect. Ultimately, I feel though that different parts of ourselves show through at different times.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ

+1

Maybe each type, considering we act and feel (or not feel) differently toward people in the real world, is predictable in a sense of how seriously they take the internet. For example, someone who likes people in real life will obviously be more "considerate" online, which isn't to say that they're any more aware of the people on the internet being actual people (I know reality is sibjectiv,e not getting into that here), they just care more and so will act differently.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why? Are there not greater consequences for offending people in person than online?

it's just the format...the lack of tone or facial expression...it frustrates me... and i can see when someone is bothered in person and explain further if i need to.

must have something to do with that f too...you wouldn't understand. :cheese:

L

Lasting_Pain

I am quieter in real life. I do not necessarily jump into random conversations in real life like I do on this forum.