• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Paradigm Shift: are some types in fact, better than others?

deleted
Wait who's measuring emotion through questions? That's hilarious...

1) Are you in touch with people's emotions?
Define in touch, and who are you referring to?

2) How well do you deal with your emotions?
Define well. Do I not cry or something, because that obviously gives me a higher EQ than someone who does...

3) What does this mean? ":newwink:"
Hmm let me think about that for a second... is the answer Bitch?

Great test. Where's my snipe?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being underrated is fun. Us INFPs are intelligent and excel in different areas than your average person. I don't lack logical intelligence either... IQ of 141 etc. I can use logic to my will... It's no biggie.

You can believe lies if you want. From Wikipedia-

"Emotional Intelligence (EI), often measured as an Emotional Intelligence Quotient (EQ), describes a concept that involves the ability, capacity, skill or (in the case of the trait EI model) a self-perceived ability, to identify, assess, and manage the emotions of one's self, of others, and of groups."

I would say that I'm not lacking in that at all. I am definitely in touch with my own feelings and others, however I don't really shine in moving groups. I don't see how I'd be the worst.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It should also be noted that the test has an extreme cultural bias. High scores result from choosing answers involving direct confrontation for conflict resolution. The high scorer is someone not afraid to display of be confronted with emotion, and for whom emotion doesn't intrude on them personally. It also requires the ability to identify the most likely and common emotional responses of others. Answering the questions required almost zero use of what I experience as empathy. It tested skills that have little relationship to what I *do* in perceiving and understanding the subjective worlds of other people. It is like identifying prime colors: first blue, red, and yellow, and then taking it to the next level to identify orange, purple, and green and then calling that a high aesthetic intelligence. It implies that someone with a relatively easy life who hasn't had to face anything too complex emotionally has the higher EQ.

To describe what empathy is based on my perspective as an inf, I will attempt to explain here. It is not based on obvious answers, but requires hours of observation and communication - easily hundreds of hours of paying attention and listening to someone. It is only at that point that you can establish a baseline for how the person communicates. Their use of language and facial expressions are individualized. What can look like boredom on one person's face is contemplation on someone else's. What is anger on one face is anxiety on another. After you establish this baseline and context, then you look for patterns and interrelationships to form a coherent whole. It is the forming and reforming of countless hypothesis in a fluid interaction with new information. The empathetic person doesn't simply approach each person on the same terms, but waits to choose direct or indirect resolution based on what will most likely be effective. Until you have a good guess as to how your approach will be perceived from the other person's vantage point, you wait. This waiting can appear as timidity or lack of having a grasp and control on the situation, but it is quite the opposite. It is using the proverbial scalpel instead of the sledge-hammer unless the latter is more effective.

It's great for people to be tested on confidence and feel great with positive results, but as an empathetic person, I am also aware of its implications in a larger context, which are not all positive.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe each and every type is valuable and necessary in its own way.
None is better or more preferable.
If we were all the same, we would be in big trouble.

100 percent agreed.

Although, sadly, I would have to say that NFs in general are kind of a "third wheel." We do add something, but the world could easily go on without us, even if it were a bit more violent, selfish, and corrupt.

I don't feel that I'm a third wheel at all. I can do lots that other "types" can do. My gifts aren't limited to just "NF" areas.

G

garbage

High scores result from choosing answers involving direct confrontation for conflict resolution.

seriously!?

:rofl1:

I don't feel that I'm a third wheel at all.

Perhaps it can be rephrased that we're often catalysts or enablers--psychologists, motivational speakers, teachers--which can put us in a "third wheel" role, for good or for bad.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps it can be rephrased that we're often catalysts or enablers, which can put us in a "third wheel" role, for good or for bad.

But I'm a leader. A leader I say! I always end up in the top position of the groups that I become a part of, without knowing or working towards that goal.

My inner ENJ doesn't appreciate being put into a nice little pink box by MBTI ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[snark on]Based on the content of Toonia's posts in this thread she is feeling which of the following ?:
o Happy
o Sad
o Mad
o Bored
o Fearful
o Neutral
o I don't know
o It's impossible to determine
[/snark]

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
High scores result from choosing answers involving direct confrontation for conflict resolution. The high scorer is someone not afraid to display of be confronted with emotion, and for whom emotion doesn't intrude on them personally.

Toonia, I think this pretty much explains whey ENTJ and ESTJ scored so well, while INFP and ISFJ (some of the least assertive of types out of the box) scored poorly.

Thanks for the great analysis!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[snark on]Based on the content of Toonia's posts in this thread she is feeling which of the following ?:
o Happy
o Sad
o Mad
o Bored
o Fearful
o Neutral
o I don't know
o It's impossible to determine
[/snark]

Before posting in the thread, Toonia had a tuna fish sandwich and a Diet Pepsi, and then talked to her friend about going shopping. Based on this information, Toonia is likely feeling the following:
  • Content
  • Wistful
  • Inquistive
  • Defenestrative
  • Indigestion
  • Even more neutral
  • I don't know
  • It's impossible to determine

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't feel that I'm a third wheel at all. I can do lots that other "types" can do. My gifts aren't limited to just "NF" areas.

Well, of course not. That's because individuals aren't simply their type. My reference was to the NF archetype, not to individuals that happen to be NF. Individual people can contain elements of several temperaments. In my experience, most have the apparent elements of at least two.

Perhaps it can be rephrased that we're often catalysts or enablers--psychologists, motivational speakers, teachers--which can put us in a "third wheel" role, for good or for bad.

Yes, this is what I was thinking of. These are the kind of skills NFs are supposed to have an advantage in as a result of being NFs, and these skills aren't as strictly necessary overall, compared to the sorts of skills other temperaments have an advantage in as a result of being their respective types. But they can be a tremendous relief to people who find themselves in need of encouragement and understanding.

L

Lasting_Pain

I have always wondered how you can be emotionally intelligent. When you are overcome with emotions, your frontal lobe is halted meaning you stop think effectively.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Before posting in the thread, Toonia had a tuna fish sandwich and a Diet Pepsi, and then talked to her friend about going shopping. Based on this information, Toonia is likely feeling the following:
  • Content
  • Wistful
  • Inquisitive
  • Defenestrative
  • Indigestion
  • Even more neutral
  • I don't know
  • It's impossible to determine
:smile:

A combination of wistful and indigestion can best be described as
  • Bittersweet
  • Anticipation