User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Function Stacks

Default Function Stacks

I've read a lot of threads on one function. But I'm interested in whether anybody has any theories about how two functions stack together.
    I'm particularly interested in how you feel any two of your top three functions work together.
    For example Se+Ni creating a type of extraverted intuition. Things like that.

Any ideas.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I don't think that they stack to create a function. You already have all the functions, after all. Rather, using a group of other functions together could resemble one other function, although it wouldn't really be "true" to or of that function.

In my case, I'd say that Ni, Fe, and Ti sometimes work together in such a way that I can appear to be using Te (or sometimes even Ne) on a superficial level, although closer examination would show that there are no real Te motives or processing behind my display. Actual Te would likely manifest as far more shadowy and unskilled for me.

Interesting...I don't think they create a function either. But using the MBTI lingo makes it easy to understand.

Thanks for sharing. Those were the kind of thoughts I was looking for.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i think they do stack to create a function. there are 4 main functions that are accessible by an individual and there are 4 that are not. take an ISFP for example. your functions are Fi, Se, Ni, Te. that leaves you with 4 other functions unaccessible. i believe, yet can't prove, that you can create pseudo functions out of your accessible functions, like the example you gave, but really the last 4 functions really aren't worth looking into. i also believe its not worth wasting your time on; it wont tell you all that much. i push this a lot but using just the temperaments will get you quite a bit farther then the functions will. the functions explain how the temperaments are derived, in a way, so why not just stick with the temperaments? also if you are going to look at the functions you need to look at them like a team and not as individual entities. as individual entities they really dont do to much. they also tend to be influenced by the other functions around them. Ni in an ISFP and Ni in an INFJ are going to be quite a bit different.

sorry for the random line of thought. i just typed what i thought, hope it makes sense.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

I'm thinking along the same lines as you mlittrell. How do they come together to create something useful. Because one of them wouldn't work by itself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

well you need to think of what they do actually do individually first and then think what they create. ill take myself because its the easiest for me to explain lol. Ne is my first function. that is a mode of perception. so i perceive things abstractly from the outside world. my next function would be Fi. that is a mode of judgement. i make decisions in an internal and emotionally based way. i put myself into the situation and make a value judgment. put those together now. i take things in abstractly and decide what to do with them based on how i feel (to sum it up because im lazy). and you can keep going down the functions doing that but also taking into account that the farther you go down the less weight the function has.

EDIT:

Te. i take my judgment and apply it in a logical way...?

etc

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Mahatma Gandhi

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I usually speak of functions in terms of pairs like this. E.g. Ji+Pe or Je+Pi (J=judgment function, P=perceiving function) are the ones I can most easily understand since they end up together in the functional breakout of a type. But what I find most curious is how Je+Pe or Ji+Pi functions interact, if they do at all. It's this kind of material that makes me wish there was some solid (and peer-reviewed) neurological science verifying all of this stuff.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

i think Si works by it self.
    i doesn't do anything though
    makes you melt with a chair or something ...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

spirilis: an interesting way of looking at it, ive seen that mentioned before. for me personally i just find it easier to think of the actual functions instead of Je, Pi, or whatever but that is a good way to sum it up. also if you want material on neuroscience and personality look into The Edge Effect by Eric Braverman or really anything he does. he bases a lot of his work on MBTI.

nanook: if that were true then Ni would work by itself too

Mahatma Gandhi

nanook: if that were true then Ni would work by itself too
    makes you melt with time? (momentum)
    dissociative entheogen may be required....