Thread: Function Stacks

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    spirilis: an interesting way of looking at it, ive seen that mentioned before. for me personally i just find it easier to think of the actual functions instead of Je, Pi, or whatever but that is a good way to sum it up. also if you want material on neuroscience and personality look into The Edge Effect by Eric Braverman or really anything he does. he bases a lot of his work on MBTI.

nanook: if that were true then Ni would work by itself too
    hm interesting, might check that book out one of these days.

I think it's important to consider a function pair because they color each other. IMO, Ne+Fi has a different "feel" to it than Ne+Ti, in that the concepts thrown about by folks of those respective types tend to have different hidden assumptions underlying them, for one example.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

oh i 100% agree. i was just talking about the notation.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

garbage

I guess it's Ne and a strong tertiary Te that sees me pulling ideas for solutions to problems out of thin air and actually taking a directed path toward a solution. This is especially true for me in the realm of computer programming.

Luckily, with Ne, if some aspect of the problem changes as I start to implement the solution, I can usually change course on the fly.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Function interactions... it's something I've been playing around a bit myself as well.

I'm most familiar with Ni... but you can apply it equally to all the rest.

Basically you see the same function being used differently with different types. I'll attribute that to function interactions.

For example INXJ with dominant Ni automatically let Ni wander. The imageries we come up with tend to be more elaborate and encompassing than what somebody with auxiliary or tertiary Ni come up with.

Here's an example of a ISTP's tertiary Ni in action...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    reminder to self, sketch this up

everything is a pyramid, zoom out it becomes a single point, in becomes a base larger and larger until you are at the most basic unit

slice out the layers of human consciousness
    ultimately chemical and electrical impulses
    conceptually a network, no ideas come from nowhere

zoom in on human purpose
    a node on each side of a large spectrum
    perfection (pursuit of) vs disaster (fear of)

as a whole, strive for perfection is more survivable
    all entities capable of interaction directed towards the positive only and each individual never holding onto life for only themselves
    small scale, avoidance of disaster is more survivable but fails on a large scale

the latter is a citadel built on a foundation of self, how lost am i in it?
    See how structured everything is? In this case Ni is used to create an image to describe something Ti created. As oppose to INXJ using Ni to create a model... then figure out what the hell the model implies.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

and all of this is why function order matters lol.

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Mahatma Gandhi

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    ... It's this kind of material that makes me wish there was some solid (and peer-reviewed) neurological science verifying all of this stuff.
    That would be awesome, honestly. Most of the discussion is usually just theoretical, with the obvious assumptions being made up front (e.g., that the functions even exist, that they exist as defined, etc.)

well, it does matter.... but we already see that some people do not necessarily rely on their primary primarily. (The general scenario is for introverts, who can easily feel more comfortable interacting with the world via the secondary, and this colors their approach to issues as well as how they are perceived.)

For example, I favor N a lot of the time, for various reasons. But that doesn't make me an ENTP in the least, I don't behave like that type does normally.

I think this sort of discussion can help highlight why, with even just "four basic functions" to describe someone, there is a lot of variety from person to person. The combination of favored functions (and even unfavored) and their strengths will color the expression of personality.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think this sort of discussion can help highlight why, with even just "four basic functions" to describe someone, there is a lot of variety from person to person. The combination of favored functions (and even unfavored) and their strengths will color the expression of personality.
    One of the things that lead to me posting this was me reflecting on how much I relied on Ni. It seems to me that I will often use Fi with Ni or Se with Ni. Just reflecting on how much I seemed to use the Ni function as described made me curious.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Well there's a difference between the "conventional" take of function order as compared to the actual function preference of the individual. The two in my experiences are often different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    For example, I favor N a lot of the time, for various reasons. But that doesn't make me an ENTP in the least, I don't behave like that type does normally.

Exactly! There's also learnt use of other functions. That has to be taken into account of in the mix.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

A fascinating discussion, people!

I am most aware of the following function pairings in myself:

Ni/Ti: Ni comes up with an image, idea or insight, then Ti analyses it and either chucks it out or accepts it and then tries to fit it into my internal Matrix. Ti then passes its findings back to Ni which can trigger another convoluted Ni tangent, which will eventually be passed on to Ti, and so on.

Ni/Se:

1) Ni has an intuition, then uses Se to look for direct evidence to either confirm or deny the idea.

2) Se spots something unusual, which then triggers Ni into a train of speculations.

Best of all is when all three work together:

Ni comes up with an idea which Ti decides is a Really Good Idea. Both functions then pass the buck to Se to actually DO something to make it happen.

Ni/Fe: This has been covered on many discussions relating to INFJs and ENFJs. Fe merges with another person enough for Ni to get inside their heads. The info gained allows Fe to better understand and relate to that person. Or Ni has an insight about someone, which becomes a working theory. It then uses Fe to validate the insight, which will affect how I relate to that person in future interactions.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Well there's a difference between the "conventional" take of function order as compared to the actual function preference of the individual. The two in my experiences are often different.
    imho the "conventional" take is the only useful part. ill explain...

well, it does matter.... but we already see that some people do not necessarily rely on their primary primarily. (The general scenario is for introverts, who can easily feel more comfortable interacting with the world via the secondary, and this colors their approach to issues as well as how they are perceived.)

the problem i have with functions is when people take a test and (being an INFJ irl for example) go: "wow look my functions are Ti, Fe, Ni, Si"... well that isn't at all how functions work. if you take that approach, in my feeble illogical mind, then you can only look at function as individual entities and not as a team of functions working together (which is a much more elegant and explains quite a bit more). also taking this approach kinda kills the "conventional" approach which is fundamental in functions (imho). idk if any of this makes sense... its been a long day.

Mahatma Gandhi