• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differences between J and P

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
On online tests, I seem to always come out as a J, but upon reading more about MBTI tests online, I seem to be more like a P. I know online tests are not always accurate, but I'm really not sure about this. Could anyone tell me ways to tell the differences between a xxxJ and a xxxP?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The major separation between the two is planning vs keeping options open.

If you're going to go on a vacation to some place far away... what will you do?

Read up on the location and figure out what you want to do there? <- J
Figure it out when you get there? <- P

deleted
For a series of events

P = 1... okay 2... now time for 3... and finally 4

J = 1,2,3,4, all planned, initiating sequence

Ps can know what they want to do, but often change their mind when it comes

I sometimes think of it as P makes a lot of smaller but spread out decisions (decide when I get to it) and J makes one plan and order to things, keeping a schedule or some kind of model of the events.

Also, if you're an ISTP you use Introverted Thinking, yet if you're an ISTJ you use Introverted Sensing.

From mypersonality.info:

Introverted thinking function allows a person to categorize and analyze data. It is the ability to identify inconsistencies, know how things work and problem-solve.

Introverted Sensing function allows a person to remember data in detail and be able to compare it to the current data. It is the ability to link present experiences to past experiences in search for a connection.

D'Artagnan

MBTI Type
ENTP
At heart the letters P and J don't mean anything on their own, they simply tell you if favour your Perceiving (N/S) or Judging (T/F) function. That said, there are some defining aspects between 'P's and 'J's. I find they are the easiest to see IRL but paradoxically the hardest to describe. Ps favour gathering information, and more options (information unprocessed) open the more relaxed they feel. Js favour interpreting information, and the more decisions made (information processed) the more relaxed they feel.

A P will prefer to make decisions only when forced to do so while a J will feel most comfortable when everything is planned in advance. Do you organise to meet your friends a week in advance or ring them the night before? Would you describe yourself as structured or spontaneous? At the end of the day I reiterate my opening: P and J are meaningless on their own - they are only context.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Does P always mean procrastinator and J means doing things on time (doer).

What if you don't procrastinate, can you still be a P or does that fall into J territory?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For a series of events

P = 1... okay 2... now time for 3... and finally 4

J = 1,2,3,4, all planned, initiating sequence

Ps can know what they want to do, but often change their mind when it comes

I sometimes think of it as P makes a lot of smaller but spread out decisions (decide when I get to it) and J makes one plan and order to things, keeping a schedule or some kind of model of the events.

Also, if you're an ISTP you use Introverted Thinking, yet if you're an ISTJ you use Introverted Sensing.

From mypersonality.info:

Introverted thinking function allows a person to categorize and analyze data. It is the ability to identify inconsistencies, know how things work and problem-solve.

Introverted Sensing function allows a person to remember data in detail and be able to compare it to the current data. It is the ability to link present experiences to past experiences in search for a connection.

To me its, figure out what 1,2,3,4 is. When its time to act sometimes 3 comes before 1 and 4 comes after 2 and my order of action is 3,1,2,4. I may even realize that 2 and 4 can be merged into 6 and do 3,1,6 instead which with 6 it may be better to arrange it 3,6,1. And when things get hectic sometimes you can half ass 1 and turn it into a .5 and still get really good results.

G

garbage

Does P always mean procrastinator and J means doing things on time (doer).

What if you don't procrastinate, can you still be a P or does that fall into J territory?

Yeah.. I'm not too much of a procrastinator myself. I allocate time to do things and then do them, and I'm usually pretty conscientious about it. I'm not late to meetings out of consideration to others, and I don't pass deadlines. But I have tended to prefer leaving my options open in general.

A P's tendency for procrastination at its core likely comes from wanting to wait until the last minute so that options are open for as long as possible.. but, when there's no real need to keep options open (or when a choice has been pretty much locked in), there's no need to procrastinate, either.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Ps favour gathering information, and more options (information unprocessed) open the more relaxed they feel. Js favour interpreting information, and the more decisions made (information processed) the more relaxed they feel.

thats perfect, hence the use of metaphors and innuendos in my speech

i feel that metaphors (unprocessed info) are all encompassing