• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the most and least common MBTI types?

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not buying it. How harsh you sound...even to slam 'your own type..' You got eyes on you.

My test results are on every post. I just took another test, hoping it was different and it came out even more INFJ than the last one. Don't know what kind of male INFJ's you've met, but my comments are far from harsh, because tone isn't conveyed on a post. As well, on the post you take, I'm quoting the muppets! I'm laughing. What do you find harsh?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I still don't buy those numbers. Specifically that there are significantly more ISFPs than ESTPs. I highly doubt that.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I still don't buy those numbers. Specifically that there are significantly more ISFPs than ESTPs. I highly doubt that.

Why do you highly doubt that?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why do you highly doubt that?

My own observation of people and things I've read. Also my inherent skepticism of the results of surveys with so much room for bias.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
So basically, your feelings. :newwink:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
These statistics are for Americans. For another nation, it would probably be pretty different. Study said it sampled 3009 Americans out of a pool of about 16,000.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I know that my type is rare, but I think I know a lot of like-minded people, (although I'm new to MBTI, so I have never typed anyone I know.) I chalk this up to hanging around musicians (and being one, of course). Musical friendships can be very deep...

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I know that my type is rare, but I think I know a lot of like-minded people, (although I'm new to MBTI, so I have never typed anyone I know.) I chalk this up to hanging around musicians (and being one, of course). Musical friendships can be very deep...

Agreed, musical relationships I've had are deep, and at the same time, highly volatile due to creative differences like Mr. Schneebly!

"I pledge allegiance... to the band... of Mr. Schneebly... and will not fight him... for creative control... and will defer to him on all issues related to the musical direction of the band."

Does anyone have any tangible evidence, beyond their gut feelings, why the mbti frequencies would be out, when all the tests support similar findings? Why they don't sit well? Why such disagreement? Anyone here support them, like myself? Does 70% S types and 30% N types bother anyone, or do you see the reason for its necessity in society?

G

Glycerine

Agreed.

ISTJs are very common, as well. SJs are the most common types by a long shot. I'd think NFs and NTs are the most rare.

Just from experience, alone, I think that ENTPs, ENTJs, and INFPs may be the least common type.

This is interesting. I know at least 5 or 6 INFPs (2 males and 4 females). From my experience, INFPs don't seem to be that rare. But then again, it's all based on our own observations. :) I also know 2 ENTJs who happen to be females. There must be really rare odds for that.

D'Artagnan

MBTI Type
ENTP
This is interesting. I know at least 5 or 6 INFPs (2 males and 4 females). From my experience, INFPs don't seem to be that rare. But then again, it's all based on our own observations. :) I also know 2 ENTJs who happen to be females. That must be really rare odds for that

I know at least 6 INFPs (2 f, 4 m) and was puzzled by this as I'd read they were fairly uncommon. I then remembered a description of INFPs that I'd read stating something about being interested in the arts and alternative scene. I realized that most INFPs I knew were in bands, going out with people in bands or were just part of the 'arts' scene.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Do you have an evolutionary reason? Just cuz? Is there a way of tampering with the genome to get the proper balance of personality types necessary for a functioning society? Predestination and the sovereignty of God is the best answer in my mind.

I reckon the answer would lie in evolutionary psychology, if MBTI had more validity.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Evolutionary psychology towards personality frequency in general, if not mbti if you'd like. Even granted that, how does evolutionary psychology explain the, why, it works out harmoniously? Again, just sounds like, just cuz. "It does ok." "That's how evolution works." Why questions usually end with such blanket statements by evolutionists when it comes to matters of metaphysics when there's really nothing scientific for why it should work out harmoniously. Out of randomness, somehow, magic order. (eye roll) I try not to buy into thinking so blatantly riddled with logical fallacy.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Evolutionary psychology towards personality frequency in general, if not mbti if you'd like. Even granted that, how does evolutionary psychology explain the, why, it works out harmoniously? Again, just sounds like, just cuz. "It does ok." "That's how evolution works." Why questions usually end with such blanket statements by evolutionists when it comes to matters of metaphysics when there's really nothing scientific for why it should work out harmoniously. Out of randomness, somehow, magic order. (eye roll) I try not to buy into thinking so blatantly riddled with logical fallacy.

It doesn't work because it exists, it exists because it works.

If that mix of "types" worked better for one genetic group of people than another group with a different mix, then the first's groups chance of survival would be higher, and then that pattern of types would be refined and amplified after each successful generation of the first group.

If you see order in nature it exists because order provided some sort of advantage over chaos. If that mix of types didn't work or remained chaotic, it would have proved unfit long ago and it wouldn't be evident for us to talk about it now.

I suppose.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i just read a non-type related journalistic article about forms of intuition and in particular about how economic businessmen men deal with "gut feeling" when they make decisions about share stocks and stuff.

anyway, it claimed that 70% of American businessmen "admit" to use "gut feeling", but only 30% of german business men.

so apparently we are the bigger suckers for SJ culture values.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

The idea that some invisible all-powerful God just made it work sounds even more magical to me.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i just read a non-type related journalistic article about forms of intuition and in particular about how economic businessmen men deal with "gut feeling" when they make decisions about share stocks and stuff.

Interesting. More businesses are differentiating themselves based on "feeling"-related themes rather than technical themes nowadays. For example, Subaru is one of the only car companies in the world whose sales are up (although slightly) and they have won several awards for their "Love" ad campaign. (And it's not just hype - this is what that company really believes in, over the course of many, many years...) So, this makes sense that people would pick stocks partly based on gut feeling...

nanook

a scream in a vortex
hm, that article was about the perspective of neuroscience on desicion making, on how subconsciousness is involved and often superior in results. so "gut feeling" was just an ambiguous term for .... anything unconscious. whatever it is.

the way i see it, "gut feeling" is statistically most often a term that non intuitive people (like SP) use to refer to their inferior (unconscious) intuition/instinct. since it is unconscious, it eventually "somatizes" to the gut, to get some attention.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I refuse to contribute to this thread due to moral and religious conflicts.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've read that INFJ is the rarest overall type and that ISTJ is most common.

This is for the overall population, though--for men, it happens to be the same. ISTJ is most common; INFJ is rarest.

For women, though, INTJ is rarest and ISFJ is most common.