• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Functions + Animals = Extraverted Functions

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Call me crazy, but through the random interconnections my delicate and combustible psyche has cobbled together, I’ve hit upon a theory that could revolutionise the way simple folk (i.e. yourselves and the people you know; we can safely discount myself) view functions.

Actually I can’t back that up, but here’s the theory anyway:

Those strong in an introverted function can gleam an understanding of the extraverted version of that function through interactions with animals.

We all know the remarkable way a Fe-Dom femdom can spin her magic on human beings, but from my initial understanding of Fi-Doms they have a caring for animals that passes into the obsessive. In fact most Fi-Doms I know can’t stand more than a month without a pet and I thinks to meself, “’Old on, wait a mo, bloody ‘ell, this seems strangely connected to me untrained senses mefinks.”

This thought passed into redundancy within the hour, but an observation less than a saeculum later begged me for reconsideration. My mother’s boyfriend (at a guess an ISTP) took a shine to the family dog (possibly an ESFP, though that’s not nearly as relevant) and has taken it upon himself to teach him all manner of tricks many of us assumed superfluous to daily tasks. It then occurred to me that if he exacted the same practice on a human he could be accused of displaying the dreaded Te.

So it became somewhat apparent to me that the introverted functions, in the presence of animals, brought out their comparable extraverted functions, albeit only judgement functions.

Or so I thought until much later when I observed myself with the selfsame dog (there’s a scarcity of dogs in my life, I hope not to overexpose this one) and noticed I had a relationship with him that I share with no human: I physically compete with him.

I stay away from competing with humans, not least of all because I’m terrified of doing so. I’ve never taken an interest in sports (which can be evidenced by my resulting physique, though I particularly don’t want to belabour this point) and I’ve always been embarrassed to try excel physically, but embarrassment seems to be impossible in front of dogs and other non-human animals, (which I’ve always found interesting in itself but could serve as topic for another thread and conversation) and I fight with this dog with no intention of giving up.

Now I have low Se, but my Si would outweigh that of the average Se-Dom and I realised it what this introverted function I was subverting in these canine toils.

So this is the pattern I finally concluded upon (though a simplistic view):

Fe: Look after people
Fi: Look after animals

Te: Direct people
Ti: Direct animals

Se: Compete with people
Si: Compete with animals

As of yet I haven’t witnessed the connection between Ne and Ni, but when I do I’ll be on this thread so fast to post my uninteresting findings that the emoticons used will spin off the page.

Adieu.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I sometimes like animals and I sometimes like people, but I sometimes hate animals and sometimes hate people? what does that mean? And I have never been obsessive over a human or an animal.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I sometimes like animals and I sometimes like people, but I sometimes hate animals and sometimes hate people? what does that mean?

I don't know what it means, but I would take the opportunity in the rare instances of simultaneously hating both people and animals to plot some sort of destruction of the Earth scenario. Someone eventually has to do it and why miss out on being the most important person in history, though the instantaneity might mar the chances of your importance being documented.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I hate animals. But i like nature especially camping.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mort Belfry said:
Fe: Look after people
Fi: Look after animals

Te: Direct people
Ti: Direct animals

Se: Compete with people
Si: Compete with animals
Pretty interesting obervations! But ouch for me, as I'm one who as I have noticed, tends to relish and shower all this affection on animals that I don't towards people.
Maybe introverts just like animals because they don't talk.
And this is what I had figured. We all have a natural desire to show affection, but if we are reserved in showing it towards people, then it comes out on these other creatures who are somewhat like people in ways, but won't reject us, as an introvert might fear.
I notice how many INTP's do have cats as their avatars (esp. over at INTPc), so is that affection, or does their liking of animals stem from a desire to have someone to direct?

Trying to figure what N would be. Ne does something with people, and Ni would do it with animals. Competing is one aspect of Se, so it would be an aspect of Ne.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I notice how many INTP's do have cats as their avatars (esp. over at INTPc), so is that affection, or does their liking of animals stem from a desire to have someone to direct?

Well my mums got a cat and i hate the thing. Leaves hairs all over the PC seat! Wish the thing would get hit by a car.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I had a cat once. I would always make really odd puns about the cat and play odd games with it (like maybe getting it to follow my finger or something), once even trying to teach it how to read. I would also keep on trying various things to figure out how to communicate with it, although I never figured out how to do so on much more than a basic level.

The interesting thing is, most of the puns I've made that are funny are about cats. The rest of them are terrible... although normally I don't even try to make them.

Maybe that means something?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I had a cat once. I would always make really odd puns about the cat and play odd games with it (like maybe getting it to follow my finger or something), once even trying to teach it how to read. I would also keep on trying various things to figure out how to communicate with it, although I never figured out how to do so on much more than a basic level.

Ne: Understand people?
Ni: Understand animals?

I don't know, but I somehow think is the final piece of the puzzle, Athenian, thanks.:smile: