123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Evan's function definitions

(copied from costrin's thread)

Function explanations:

Cognition divides into conscious - judging /unconscious - perceiving

Perceiving divides into sensing (instinct + sensory input + sensory representations) and intuition (ideas + analogies + metaphor + themes, etc.)

Judging divides into thinking (true/makes sense/works) or feeling (right/good/appropriate)

Then all functions divide into introversion and extroversion. Extroversion is the attitude that every piece of the environment is important and focusing too much on one thing is bad because of missed opportunities. Introversion is the attitude that things should be processed in depth, and that keeping track of each piece of the environment is bad because it takes too much processing power.

So the difference between Fe and Fi is that Fe keeps track of as many environmental variables as possible when making conscious value judgments (unconscious value judgments are in the realm of intuition), whereas Fi picks a select few environmental variables and thinks their moral consequences through in depth. Fe is "scared" of missing an environmental factor, and Fi is "scared" of not thinking through a conclusion deeply enough. (You guys can figure out Te/Ti from this.)

The difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne looks for all opportunities to make a new metaphor/idea, and Ni picks a few and tries to make as many ideas as possible. The difference between Se and Si is that Si filters down environmental factors in order to explore them in depth, whereas Se wants to keep all opportunities open at all times.

Yeah, I hope that made sense.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Et tu, Evan?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Et tu, Evan?
    huh?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

But your definitions aren't Super Amazing.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Et tu, Evan?
    Everyone should participate.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    But your definitions aren't Super Amazing.
    maybe not, but they're simple and correct (i think)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    Everyone should participate.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    maybe not, but they're simple and correct (i think)
    Mine are... well... they're certainly something. And Super Amazing.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    Zzzz

You already know I agree, with the exception of unconscious intuitive judgements yadda yadda edit: I mean, just altering it a bit to include both types of perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Mine are... well... they're certainly something. And Super Amazing.
    Yea, well, with the help of some others, they're now Super Duper Amazing.

MBTI
    ENFP

(copied from costrin's thread)

Function explanations:

Cognition divides into conscious - judging /unconscious - perceiving

Perceiving divides into sensing (instinct + sensory input + sensory representations) and intuition (ideas + analogies + metaphor + themes, etc.)

Judging divides into thinking (true/makes sense/works) or feeling (right/good/appropriate)

Then all functions divide into introversion and extroversion. Extroversion is the attitude that every piece of the environment is important and focusing too much on one thing is bad because of missed opportunities. Introversion is the attitude that things should be processed in depth, and that keeping track of each piece of the environment is bad because it takes too much processing power.

So the difference between Fe and Fi is that Fe keeps track of as many environmental variables as possible when making conscious value judgments (unconscious value judgments are in the realm of intuition), whereas Fi picks a select few environmental variables and thinks their moral consequences through in depth. Fe is "scared" of missing an environmental factor, and Fi is "scared" of not thinking through a conclusion deeply enough. (You guys can figure out Te/Ti from this.)

The difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne looks for all opportunities to make a new metaphor/idea, and Ni picks a few and tries to make as many ideas as possible. The difference between Se and Si is that Si filters down environmental factors in order to explore them in depth, whereas Se wants to keep all opportunities open at all times.

Yeah, I hope that made sense.

Thanks for the breakdown. I think reading Myer Briggs & Socionics makes it's a bit confusing to understand since it's in slightly different order from one another.
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

(The difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne looks for all opportunities to make a new metaphor/idea, and Ni picks a few and tries to make as many ideas as possible. The difference between Se and Si is that Si filters down environmental factors in order to explore them in depth, whereas Se wants to keep all opportunities open at all times..
    This in principle cannot work. You're defining functions by what they do and not in terms of unconscious dispositions. If you take an SJ for instance with a well developed Ne, by your definitions it would have to follow that he is an Ne type as he easily sees ways to make a new metaphor or an idea. This theory is incoherent also because such a person would use Si and Ni well too. As by your definition he could easily 'pick and try to make many ideas'. So, what type is he, if he can be described with more than one of the definitions you've listed?

In one sentence, if a type is defined by behaviors, the type will be a logically incoherent notion as it will contain many behaviors that contradict one another. For instance, one may have both Ne and Si behaviors.

Ne is not what you define it as 'or seeing new opportunities' and what not, but merely an unconscious disposition to have imagination stimulated by the external environment. Seeing many new opportunities may be a result of such a disposition, but in principle cannot be the very definition of Ne as described above. The same holds for the remainder of the definitions of functions.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/