User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    I don't mind unless there's a constant air of negativity around that person.
    I want to hear their opinion, understand it and where it comes from, chatter about it. Ask about perspectives and so on.
    I probably lack faith in people about as much as the cynics. But hell, we're all humane. Not good nor evil; imperfect.

From another point of view.. It's funny, but I got a comment of being a positive person again. Not really. I mostly see it so that others are excessivily negative. It wears me down listening to all that talk of nothing being possible and never changing and people being evil etc. And then reflecting it into something I've said. I wonder how they handle my constant "Okay. So you want that/want someone to stop doing something/want to achieve that? Great, let's make a plan! It's possible you know."
    I'm aware that it's not following the rules of the conversation nor being what's expected, but it's my way of handling it.

Although I'm supposed to be an 'Idealist', I can be quite cynical at times, and could probably give some of the other temperaments a run for their money.

I'm more interested in WHY someone thinks the way they do about people and things.

Although like sade mentions, these days I'm not one who wants to hang around a cynical environment or cynical person for a super long time. It's just draining (not to mention unpleasant), esp. if the person is so far down that path that they just rant, and don't make any effort to change either the situation or their perspective on the situation.

I think the cynical person is typically very unhappy/in pain himself - hence, he projects that unhappiness/angst out to the world at large. So it's more interesting sometimes to find out what's going on with that person's life, to figure out why that person might be so cynical about the World. And with really cynical people, I've found it can actually be kinda easy to just let the words flow over you, and then flip the table on them and just redirect the whole conversation to other topics. If you're not deeply impacted/affected by what they say, and don't fall into the negativity with them, then they kind of lose their momentum. The rants only continue if you allow them to continue. :-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Sorry if I repeat. After second thoughts, I think whoever thinks that people are fundamentally evil, as a general whole.. makes me think of the environment they grew up in in their critical, child-rearing phase? (ages 0-5).

I think for some, such as serial-killers/mass-murderers, their inherent cruelty stems from perhaps extremely toxic environments that caused them to morbidly shape their reality in some odd way? Perhaps they had zero positive role-models? IDK..

I mean, after my dad passed away, I had to live with other families that were pretty abusive, temporarily.. I turned out okay. i think it's because by that time, I was old enough to *know.*My dad's love carried afar and helped strengthen me as a human being.. I am forever grateful.

I don't know what to make of the situation, but to perhaps be me? Maybe by influencing them, they can change for the better? That's why I think I'm a bit idealistic in that sense. I do agree- there are limits though, right?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I see no reason to judge this person just because of their cynicism. "People are fundamentally bad" might not be 100% accurate, but you sure aren't going to convince me of its opposite either.
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTJ

The way to deal with cynics is to lock them in a room with 6 or more puppies and kittens. Do not let them out for at least 3 hours.

When they do come out, they will be giddy with joy and good humour.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    The way to deal with cynics is to lock them in a room with 6 or more puppies and kittens. Do not let them out for at least 3 hours.

If you do that to me, I just wouldn't be as hungry as I was when I was locked in there.

Yum.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

A friend believes that people are fundamentally bad. How do you react?

Like badass, selfish or twisted bad.

What that implies to me is that the persons views have become fuzzy in such a way that their trust level toward any person is minimal in such a way that their primary assumption is that everyone is in some way bad and not to be trusted. Of course I'd be trying to find out or at least be curious what made the friend adopt such a belief system in the first place, what their personal history was like how their current personal life is like, is there any positive experiences or negative experiences that reinforce or dismiss the idea of people being bad for them. This can happen easy say if you get robbed, you are going to be more security conscious, if you get lots of bad experiences you are going to be more cynical and guarded, less trusting and assume the worst rather than the best of people.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post

RIP poor 'lil puppy-kittens, your lives weren't in vain, you made a cynic giddy with joy

MBTI
    ENTJ

I did NOT mean for the cynic to dispose of the baby animals! They are meant to romp and play with them. Good lord!

And Jock, I know you'd never hurt a baby kitteh.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm not quite an idealist, but I would ask the friend, in what way are people fundamentally bad? Then from there I would probably end up steering the conversation towards the idea that we can easily define humans as fundamentally good or bad, and that the truth is that they are neither.
    Yes.

Good and bad are so subjective to begin with.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    A friend believes that people are fundamentally bad. How do you react?
    I try to ignore very cynical people. If I have to deal with them, I try to ignore most of what they say...