• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is MBTI type related with economic condition?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
for example,
my friend seems to think that those people who are in poorer (or developing) countries (or situations) will have "no time to think about any 'deep' , imaginative, intuitive things other than how to fill their pockets with MONEY to keep living & also buy necessary things" . they said it's unlike the rich, and even 'spoiled' kids in developed countries, who have more time to think about many other things than money.
so in away, my friend seems to be saying that due to poor condition, and hence, very lack of educations, the people there would be thinking 'very-straight to the point' . and hence, most probably no people like NF, NT?..

i don't know,
but i personally think that MBTI Types is not related with economic condition.
that there is still the "innate personality" and "innate preference/way of thinking" despite the economic conditions.. it's just only "underdeveloped" personality or 'potentials' .
in this regard, I like & commend what Robert T. Kiyosaki said in one of his books: "everybody is genius (or has his/her own genius), but the next important thing is: is the 'genius' developed/nurtured or not?"

well, what do u guys think about this issue?

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm an individual from the Philippines, considered a developing country, and what I can say is personality type is not dependent upon the economic condition of a country. I've said this because I have a friend who manifests the qualities of an NF. Unfortunately, people in our country who don't follow the status quo of thinking "practical" are ridiculed for their ideas and ambitions. Thankfully, there have been success stories of people in our society with "impractical" ideas and ambitions. One such individual is Charice Pempengco, who is now internationally known for her great singing voice(she sings like Celine Dion). In an interview with Oprah, she said that people said to her that she's not good enough and she's not pretty. Charice confessed that since she was a child, her dream was to sing with Celine Dion and Andrea Boticelli..and her dream came true!

:happy2:

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Your friend’s theory would make sense if personality type was shaped over the years. But from my own experience of family and friends, people start displaying behaviour indicative of their type from a very early age.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my friend seems to think that those people who are in poorer (or developing) countries (or situations) will have "no time to think about any 'deep' , imaginative, intuitive things other than how to fill their pockets with MONEY to keep living & also buy necessary things".
so in away, my friend seems to be saying that due to poor condition, and hence, very lack of educations, the people there would be thinking 'very-straight to the point'. and hence, most probably no people like NF, NT?..

I disagree with this for the simple reason that I know intuitives who grew up dirt poor, or in developing countries. I would say the intuitive quality helped, not hindered them in thinking of ways to make a living.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
To find out types in a poor developing country, first the MBTI test would have to be totally changed to get rid of cultural bias. You couldn't have questions like "Do you feel involved when watching TV soaps?" to people who don't have TVs.

So I suspect after a good test is administered, we'd find out that they have something somewhat close to 25% Ns, like we do here.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
nope, in fact people in poor countries are more likely to be displaying their type much more strongly than those in the have-a-lil-too-much world

why? simply because a man's true character shows when he doesn't have anything else