User Tag List

First 12345 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Mistyping only affects you if you choose to let type influence your behaviour. It's simply a matter of how consistent your personal view point might be.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I anticipate it.

The system is designed to emphasize certain traits, while working to quarantine the importance of others. In doing so, a best-fit summary of behavioral preference is established. It's a rough fit, but one that works if the recipient is forthcoming.

How we respond to the perceived importance of our personal MBTI is of far greater relevance than our "earned" MBTI score.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I'm curious what others think.

EDIT If you mistyped yourself. If you went through life thinking you were another type.
    I don't act a certain way because of 4 letters so it wouldn't affect my actions if it turned out that I'm an ISFJ instead of an INTJ. I didn't discover MBTI until much later than most people, so that probably makes some difference.

If I am typed wrong it would mean that my self awareness is low or that my perception of myself is off, neither of those are great things, regardless of MBTI type. That's one of the values of MBTI typing IMO, learning how you think, how you function, how you relate to others. If I discovered that I had typed myself wrong, that would be a positive step towards the goal of self awareness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I mistyped myself twice before actually understanding MBTI. It had no effect because I didn't take the time to find out any more about it and it didn't sound much like me anyway.

It only made a difference when I typed myself correctly - because then it actually fit.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If you give your type too much weight, it's a huge problem even if you're correctly typed.

If you're mistyped, it might be better, but it's probably going to be worse.

It could be better if you mistype yourself as having a dominant function that you actually need to develop, and then you practice with it. But it could go all wrong if you hold yourself to unreasonable standards, or obscure your view of yourself enough to get into more conflict with other people than necessary.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Your type is like the tip of the iceberg of your whole personality. Accounting for like 10% of your behavior, where a lot of your behavior is just like everyone else's, and even more runs on a deeper level than MBTI can define and account for.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

EDIT If you mistyped yourself. If you went through life thinking you were another type.
    It doesn't matter. I'm still me.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

In a way, this effectively asks what the point to the MBTI.

What do you think the point to it is, wolfy? Whatever you think it is, you have to imagine that it woudn't serve its point so well if someone believed themselves to be the incorrect type, because all that is said of the type they believed themselves to be wouldn't actually be applicable to them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

I spent a long time thinking I was an INTP. When I discovered typology central and found some other ISTPs to chat with, it was like holy cow, there are so many common experiences and thoughts between us. When I changed my type I remarked that it felt like I'd found a long lost brother (within myself).

I still identify with INTPs, but I never really got the "you and I are the same" vibe like I do from some ISTPs.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    So I guess being so influenced by ISTJ, yet apparently aware of an N preference is why you thought you were ENTJ?
    That's what I'm thinking, yeah. Toward the end of my college days, I also saw a lot more of my ENTj father in me than is actually there.. he's much, much less understanding of and sensitive to other people than I am. He calls my empathic streak "bullshit"

Still, without his influence, I might not have learned how to plan, structure, organize, and lead as I'm prone to do. Being ENFP doesn't prevent me from doing any of that

It is also worthy to note, since you seem to be going with ENFP now, that ENFP and ISTJ are what is known as the "inverse relationship" of each other. They use the same primary four functions, but in reverse order (in four-process theory called the "shadow"). So you would be able to relate a lot to ISTJ processes.
    This actually makes a lot of sense.. it could explain why I feel pretty well-balanced or at least see the need for balance ..if i'm actually right about my type this time

I know that I don't want to completely lose the "ISTJ-ness," since I know that its traits can be very useful.. just that there's a time and a place for them just as there are for the other functions.

Thanks for the insight!