• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary relief?

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
This morning I was kinda stressing about things going on in my life. I was just slothing around focused on my problem. It was almost crippling. It wasn't until I had thought about another time I had felt the same way and got through it that I started feeling better.

I've heard that the tertiary function is also know as the relief function and I was just wondering if there is a lot of truth to this. It would make sense in this case because I'm tertiary Si.

Has anyone else had an experience of your tertiary function being a major source of relief when other things wouldn't calm you? Or is this just a fluke?

I would imagine relief and the different function would look something like this: (i pulled this out of my ass)

Si: reminder of past experience calmed you
Se: something distracted you from your problem
Ni: You got a good sense that everything would work out
Ne: you realized that your problem is something else
Ti: You figure out how to solve the problem
Te: you started organizing your house(idk :D)
Fi: you convince yourself that the problem isn't important to you
Fe: You told someone else about your problem

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
This morning I was kinda stressing about things going on in my life. I was just slothing around focused on my problem. It was almost crippling. It wasn't until I had thought about another time I had felt the same way and got through it that I started feeling better.

I've heard that the tertiary function is also know as the relief function and I was just wondering if there is a lot of truth to this. It would make sense in this case because I'm tertiary Si.

Has anyone else had an experience of your tertiary function being a major source of relief when other things wouldn't calm you? Or is this just a fluke?

I would imagine relief and the different function would look something like this: (i pulled this out of my ass)

Si tends to make things worse. Here anyway. Had a huge fire in the back yard and also have a young dog. So while i was fighting it the dog was using it to better understand physics or somethin. When the dust settled later, i imagined the dog on fire:cry:

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Si tends to make things worse. Here anyway. Had a huge fire in the back yard and also have a young dog. So while i was fighting it the dog was using it to better understand physics or somethin. When the dust settled later, i imagined the dog on fire:cry:

:shock:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

Yup. Si is definitely a relief function for me. But I don't set out to use it for relief, it just happens. I just start looking back on past situations and replaying em over and over. It's relieving, for whatever reason. Of course, there's always the danger of getting caught in a loop, where you overindulge in your tertiary.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Relief function equals relaxation function?
If so then yes. Fi is my relief function.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Yup. Si is definitely a relief function for me. But I don't set out to use it for relief, it just happens. I just start looking back on past situations and replaying em over and over. It's relieving, for whatever reason. Of course, there's always the danger of getting caught in a loop, where you overindulge in your tertiary.

I didn't mean I consciously looked back for relief. I just happened to think of the past and it relieved me.

What I'm wondering is do other non-INP types get the same feeling from Si? To me it seems like a common thing for people to be relieved by that, but I've never really thought about it.

Kinda like "oh, other people did it this way? then it must be ok!"
or "I remember when I did this before and it worked out, so it must be ok!"

seems like a common thing people would do

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
How does this tertiary relief theory work for people whose third function isn't aligned with that of their type. By ENFP standards Te should be my third, but according to tests it's Ti.

That actually reminds me that I need to create a topic concerning the validity of function theory, one of these days. I'm not entirely convinced yet.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
How does this tertiary relief theory work for people whose third function isn't aligned with that of their type. By ENFP standards Te should be my third, but according to tests it's Ti.

That actually reminds me that I need to create a topic concerning the validity of function theory, one of these days. I'm not entirely convinced yet.

You mean strength-wise? My third strongest function is Ni (after Ti and Ne).Si my 5th strongest. Si is much more a relief function than Ni for me.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4

This my theory:
Each function has a purpose for each personality type.
If someone has an abnormally developed function for their type it just means that you are good at using that function's purpose.

What I mean is this
You have an abnormally developed Ti for your type. Ti is considered to be the trickster/comic relief function for ENFP, so you are probably a funny guy, or you think you are. lol
or something like that

nothing personal, just a theory for your type.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
You mean strength-wise? My third strongest function is Ni (after Ti and Ne).Si my 5th strongest. Si is much more a relief function than Ni for me.

Ni is considered to be over critical/discovery function for INTP. So I would guess that you are unaccepting of other's differences or very observant and good at learning.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ni is considered to be over critical/discovery function for INTP. So I would guess that you are unaccepting of other's differences or very observant and good at learning.

I don't like your username. Usernames that don't start with C, and end in N suck.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
This my theory:
Each function has a purpose for each personality type.
If someone has an abnormally developed function for their type it just means that you are good at using that function's purpose.

What I mean is this
You have an abnormally developed Ti for your type. Ti is considered to be the trickster/comic relief function for ENFP, so you are probably a funny guy, or you think you are. lol
or something like that

nothing personal, just a theory for your type.

Hmm, interesting. You know, I wonder if that rickster/comic relief thing(assuming you are correct) would account for my brashness when being humorous in real life...It would make a lot of sense, and would help explain what I feel is my most diverging trait when compared with the stereotypical ENFP...I'm called contrarian, analytical and grumpy at times. It's a part I occasionally play to be humorous.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'll take that as you think I'm right. lol

No. With my massive learning skills, I have already discovered this theory that you are proclaiming in this thread. Also, your avatar is ugly.

phoenity

Never thought about it, but it seems to make sense to me. I get stressed when answers (understanding) aren't apparent and clear to me. Like a problem I'm experiencing or considerations about my future. I'm forced to examine the situation, and use Ni to put together the data I have. It provides a vague understanding of the situation and helps me feel better like everything is going to work out :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I didn't mean I consciously looked back for relief. I just happened to think of the past and it relieved me.

What I'm wondering is do other non-INP types get the same feeling from Si? To me it seems like a common thing for people to be relieved by that, but I've never really thought about it.

Kinda like "oh, other people did it this way? then it must be ok!"
or "I remember when I did this before and it worked out, so it must be ok!"

seems like a common thing people would do
That seems to make sense. I don't use Si at the teritiary level, but as a Ni user at the teritiary level, it seems to give me some relief to look forward to the future which helps me to be a bit optimistic when the present is getting me down.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
That seems to make sense. I don't use Si at the teritiary level, but as a Ni user at the teritiary level, it seems to give me some relief to look forward to the future which helps me to be a bit optimistic when the present is getting me down.

Along the same line, if I'm feeling overwhelmed it helps to take a step back and get a vision of the bigger picture.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The inferior functions are definitely "relieving" when I actually get them going. SiTe works wonders for me.