• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prejudice against Sensors?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Only partly true! The things they don't like about other people acquire the sensor label, even if the person they dislike is not actually a sensor. They just 1) suck and 2) haven't been formally typed.. so they "must be" a sensor...

I've never heard someone say they don't like a sensor because of a non-sensor quality. It always has something relatable to S/N, or SJ/NP, because it's usually SJs getting bashed.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
It's a shame this post is so dreadfully stupid, because the last one I read by you was really brilliant.

I typed myself as ENTP because when I discovered MBTI I read several descriptions for each type and found that the ENTP one consistently described me very well, in many ways. No, I would not type myself as a Sensor if the supposed type bias in the literature were more S-favorable. What a nonsensical implication. If you're "very very sure" about something that you so obviously can't know anything about (my personal feelings and motivations), maybe next time you should double check your own poorly functioning iNtuition before you mouth off a bunch of bullshit.

Heh, that's not exactly discouraging. I've made my point anyway.

Qre:us

You make it sound as if it's OK, and it's not. It has nothing to do with bias; there are fair ways of dealing with people, and there are unfair ways of dealing with people, and the phenomenon you are describing is unfair and dehumanizing. You're perpetuating something that you decry, which is hypocritical.

That's what I already directed at him, Mr. Outcast of the Blue Man group (cuz of the 'tache). He has yet to reply.

I really want a reply, actually, because it has popped up a few times on this thread, this reasoning: but, they have done it to us IRL!!!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I've never heard someone say they don't like a sensor because of a non-sensor quality. It always has something relatable to S/N, or SJ/NP, because it's usually SJs getting bashed.

Of course they do..

"Stupid" people are called sensors.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

Never? That cannot be possible.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I don't actually think that S-type people are actively thinking to themselves, "Gosh, that guy is a strong N according to MBTI and therefore I dislike him!" It's astonishing that your reading comprehension could be poor enough for you to think I meant that. I just think it's an awfully big coincidence that (and I have gotten nearly all of my friends and family to take the MBTI at some point) such a high majority of the people I've been close to throughout life have all scored xNxx on the test.
Of course not... They'll only say that so-and-so are different than me... it's so awkward dealing with him... I'd rather not. But unconsciously the thought runs across their mind that they don't like non-group members because they're different.

However what Nadir was referring to is clique mentality... which can run quite strongly on forums. Actually it was one of the reasons why I left INTPc... I couldn't take the drama against "non INTPs". I've been told things are better now but I like it fine here.

No, I would not type myself as a Sensor if the supposed type bias in the literature were more S-favorable. What a nonsensical implication.
Question for you...

If being N will get you tarred and feathered, would you pronounce your N-ness? Or keep quiet about it? Surprisingly many people will go along with the trend...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Of course they do..

"Stupid" people are called sensors.

Well the S/N divide does have the greatest disparity in IQ of the preferences from the studies I've seen.

I'd have to see the occurrences you're referring to. But most of what I see is harmless jesting.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Surely you don't expect to hear inconsistent complains on an MBTI forum.

Think about a rant about an ISFJ that's a total space cadet. First thing you'll do is question whether the person has been typed correctly.

As I said previously, we understand the world based on our learned framework of how stuff is suppose to work. Throw something contrary to it and our minds will try to redirect it to something that does fit the system. Or else we completely ignore it and it's not important.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
:doh:

Haha this thread just keeps getting better.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't deny that this forum has an obvious pro-N bias, as much as you seem to wish I did.

I try not to use Sensing against people, but I am only human and I can't deny my own biases. For that I am truly sorry.

The idea that there's no such thing as a person who prefers abstract generalities to concrete details is ridiculous. "N" and "S" are only arbitrary labels applied to real perceptual thinking styles, but the concepts that they represent are very real. (Not that I expect a meaningful response from Nadir or anyone else, here.)

If being openly iNtuitive would get me literally covered in tar and feathers, I would shut up about it. I think it's smarter to be quiet about your beliefs when the consequences for stating them reach a certain point of severity.

If you've read any of my posts you've probably also heard me complain about the negative aspects of INTPs, INFPs, ENFPs, INTJs and even ENTPs ourselves. You can pretend all you want that I automatically attribute all perceived negative personality traits to Sensing, but I'm well aware that every type has flaws and problems and I make no attempt at hiding my own.

In fact, my real life disagreements with people stem just as much from J vs. P as they do from S vs. N. I tend to feel a little more comfortable around ESFP than ENFJ, but I guess you didn't bother finding that out before launching into a blanket dismissal of all my views on this topic.

Oh, and for the blue guy--

Of course my disagreements with ESFJ mom are a result of perceptual differences on both ends. If you have any more lovely words to cram down my throat, save them please. The point, which you've missed with flying colors, was that while I acknowledge the difference in these perceptual styles and attempt to use them to explain some disagreements, my ESFJ mother thinks such perceptual differences are lies that I made up to avoid responsibility. I see her perspective and she doesn't see mine; that's where most of the anti-SJ bigotry comes from, get it?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
WTF??? Please tell me I smell bullshit, or are you serious?

Hah! Alliteration.... Stupid sensors! Seems to be the most common prejudiced comment about sensors.

If you're smart -> N
If you're dumb -> S

Funny how 90% of us think we're better than average...
I guess most of us ought to be Ss afterall...
Oh wait... S is SENSING... We ought to be able to sense that we're wrong...
I guess Ns are the dumb ones after all.

Stupid iNtuitives! Too bad it doesn't sound as nice. ;)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I didn't deny that this forum has an obvious pro-N bias, as much as you seem to wish I did.

To whom is this directed? I didn't see anyone suggest such a thing.

I try not to use Sensing against people, but I am only human and I can't deny my own biases. For that I am truly sorry.

Acknowledging that is great. Acknowledging that but not trying at least to stem the tide of it does NOTHING.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
WTF??? Please tell me I smell bullshit, or are you serious?

Sorry if I was misunderstood.. I'm saying that intuitives see a stupid person and wrongly badge them as a sensor. I am not saying that sensors are stupid people (or at least, any more stupid than anyone else).

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...Funny how 90% of us think we're better than average...

Average when? I've never aspired to be just under the bell curve. Jesus, people! I've never in my life given so much thought to the "S vs. N" shit! Can't we all just get along?!?!?!

;)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To whom is this directed? I didn't see anyone suggest such a thing.

Acknowledging that is great. Acknowledging that but not trying at least to stem the tide of it does NOTHING.

I do try. In fact, believe it or not, I've become a more tolerant person since studying MBTI. I consider most people to be far more rational than I used to; I understand now that their value systems are fundamentally different from mine.

I think, again, the problem here is a result of overzealous assumptions about the accuracy of MBTI labels. Nadir's cute little "there is no such thing as an iNtuitive" comment is the best example of this thus far: s/he assumes that, since the type labels can't be applied universally to everyone, they must automatically have no validity.

I'm getting a little tired of having to explain that generalizations still have merit, as long as their inherent limitations are understood. The fact that MBTI doesn't work accurately for EVERYONE doesn't mean that it can't provide some useful insight into ANYONE. Seriously, if we don't use generalizations which fail on some occasions, we're left with hardly any useful descriptive terminology at all.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Surely you don't expect to hear inconsistent complains on an MBTI forum.

Think about a rant about an ISFJ that's a total space cadet. First thing you'll do is question whether the person has been typed correctly.

As I said previously, we understand the world based on our learned framework of how stuff is suppose to work. Throw something contrary to it and our minds will try to redirect it to something that does fit the system. Or else we completely ignore it and it's not important.

That's true. Some atypicalness is definitely accepted, but it can only contradict the framework of MBTI for so long until people start to question their type.

But, there is a lot of mistyping going on. So questioning someone's type isn't always unfounded.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
A further factor in the mix here.. is that prejudice against sensors, is prejudice against one's own type.

We all sense, we all use intuition. We just have preferences as to which we believe we are best at and/or prefer to use. But dismissing someone for "sensing" is quite ridiclous. The dismisser would quickly die if they could not use sensing functions.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
simulatedworld said:
I'm sure it's worse for me than for others, being that I test 100% N,

I've found it amusing that you've kept referring to tests as though to strengthen your argument that you are an N.

Tests have no validity over one's type. Tests, by themselves, prove nothing. Nothing. No self-respecting NT would believe in the validity of an instrument which has no assurance beyond a give-or-take 70% measured success rate nor for a system which is not even scientifically proven. The system isn't perfect, it's still being understood and adapted to, and we're all along for the ride should we choose to board.

No one is 100% anything. lol If you were 100% N, I'd suspect the rest of your body were on life support and you were locked up in a psychiatric ward due to incoherent ramblings.

We all sense, we all use intuition. We just have preferences as to which we believe we are best at and/or prefer to use. But dismissing someone for "sensing" is quite ridiclous. The dismisser would quickly die if they could not use sensing functions.

Exactly.