• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prejudice against Sensors?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I know some intuitives (who aren't into MBTI) label sensors as "closed minded" or "slow." I also know/see sensors (who aren't into MBTI) label intuitives as "weird." I think people who buy into the whole "different is bad thing" are closed minded themselves, S/N preference doesn't really matter that much.

When isn't being "closed minded" a bad thing? I see nothing wrong with identifying this tendency as a negative.

(not that all sensors are that way)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When isn't being "closed minded" a bad thing? I see nothing wrong with identifying this tendency as a negative.

(not that all sensors are that way)

Uh... I think you maybe took what I said a different way than what I intended. Being closed minded IS bad, that's what I was trying to convey in that message. It is a negative tendency.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Uh... I think you maybe took what I said a different way than what I intended. Being closed minded IS bad, that's what I was trying to convey in that message. It is a negative tendency.

So what's wrong with associating that with sensorism? I think the correlation is high enough.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I learned in my life, there are always people who feel obligated. And most of them aint sensors. I love sensors.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what's wrong with associating that with sensorism? I think the correlation is high enough.

Well, sensors aren't closed minded (not all of them!). That's why. For us they may be, but I tend to make friends with the more open minded ones, and I can make them see things in a sort of intuitive way, and they make me see things in a concrete way. No closed mindedness there. I just think it's negative to slap on a stereotype like that to 75% of the human population, because I know that all sensors aren't closed minded.

What's wrong with associated being intuitive with being "weird?" Pretty much the same thing as above, weird is an opinion, as is being closed minded. Closed minded sensors aren't closed minded to other closed minded sensors, and intuitives aren't weird to other intuitives.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
you keep ignoring me, I go make a pizza

Qre:us

For example, do you believe that intuition goes hand in hand with imagination, and as such, sensors 'lack that level of imagination' as intuits?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, sensors aren't closed minded (not all of them!). That's why. For us they may be, but I tend to make friends with the more open minded ones, and I can make them see things in a sort of intuitive way, and they make me see things in a concrete way. No closed mindedness there. I just think it's negative to slap on a stereotype like that to 75% of the human population, because I know that all sensors aren't closed minded.

What's wrong with associated being intuitive with being "weird?" Pretty much the same thing as above, weird is an opinion, as is being closed minded. Closed minded sensors aren't closed minded to other closed minded sensors, and intuitives aren't weird to other intuitives.

MBTI is all about attaching generalities and stereotypes to different labels. I find people are fine when we talk about positive generalities, but many don't like identifying the negative ones. I think we should look at all of them.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For example, do you believe that intuition goes hand in hand with imagination, and as such, sensors 'lack that level of imagination' as intuits?

Hell no. SolitaryWalker started a thread like this, he got flamed SO hard and disproved countless times. Sensors DO NOT lack imagination. Imagination =/= ideas. Anyone can have an imagination.

Hell no. SolitaryWalker started a thread like this, he got flamed SO hard and disproved countless times. Sensors DO NOT lack imagination. Imagination =/= ideas. Anyone can have an imagination.

haha, it was through a dialogue with SW, that I brought up this Q. I disagreed as well. Can you point me to that thread?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

When you're interacting and paying attention to the concrete world, you're usually not forming mental concepts at the same time. But to a degree everyone has some imagination. It's a human thing.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
if most of the people are stupid and lack a soul (or visible involution of a soul) and most of the people are sensors, then you have to expect that some intuitives, who are just smart and soulfull enough, to miss something in society, will confuse sensing with the traits of the majority.

i said somewhere else that developemental psychology and type need each other in order to work properly

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
In real life, no one knows what the hell a "sensor" is.

Much truth. Artificial labels create divisions. Doesn't matter if it's wearing a green ribbon, or a red one... that is the majority of the explanation on prejudice.

I just think it's negative to slap on a stereotype like that to 75% of the human population, because I know that all sensors aren't closed minded.

On one hand, we can stereotype humans to have two legs and two arms... it's normally true.

On the other hand, that gives you no meaning whatsoever. So it is with describing 3/4 people. Could be true, although I doubt it, and relatively useless regardless.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
if closed mindedness means to become attached to constructed theories without constantly checking for a pattern match with observed reality, then we know who is really prone to closed mindedness, dont we?

With sensors being about 75% of the population, many of us have been clashing with them throughout our lives. And now we're on a forum where we are the majority. So it makes perfect sense that some would vent about sensors, especially SJs. It's the least I would expect.

Also, we have to admit, intuition is pretty effin cool.

But, the bolded part is what I'm getting at....how much of this vent is due to some misconstrued understanding of sensing (or even types) and how much is really *ahem* grounded in the reality of what sensors are?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But, the bolded part is what I'm getting at....how much of this vent is due to some misconstrued understanding of sensing (or even types) and how much is really *ahem* grounded in the reality of what sensors are?

I think it has everything to do with what you just said. We create a false image in hour heads that we think is true, but we cannot know as intuitives because we are not sensors.