• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prejudice against Sensors?

Qre:us

On the forum, Intuition is held in high regard, and there's many instances of looking down on Sensors. I understand that the forum has way more intuits than sensors, but, why this prejudice? What about sensing (and its typological defintion) that makes it seem 'less superior' to intuition (as per the commentaries on this board)?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Often times people with an inferiority complex feel better about themselves if they talk trash about those not like them.

How's that for a theory? :devil:

Nice (and obvious - I assumed this primary reasoning in my OP when pointing out there's more Ns than Ss, hence, easier to trash talk with one's ilk, about those that are different).

I think there's some inherent misconception about sensation (and its definition) that fuels this fire.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Often times people with an inferiority complex feel better about themselves if they talk trash about those not like them.

How's that for a theory? :devil:

This is the theory.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
hat about sensing (and its typological defintion) that makes it seem 'less superior' to intuition (as per the commentaries on this board)?

yes, what about it? why cant sensors figure that out? most function definitions are shallow anyway, but they come from intuitives who at least know one of the intuitive directions from their own inner life. they have to come up with a superficial analysis of sensing, based on observation. i would have more fantasy about it, but i guess they dont like to speculate too much.

and you are not helping.

Sensor: [angry at the suggestion] What do you mean, I'm not helping?
Typeguru: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Sensor?
[Sensor has become visibly shaken]
Typeguru: They're just questions, Sensor. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue? ... Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about... your Sensing Function.
Sensor: My Sensing Function?
TypeGuru: Yeah.
Sensor: Let me tell you about my Sensing Function ....

holdenvsarcor.jpg

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Is it important what people think ?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IRL there is a prejudice against Intuition. The minority always gets singled out and put down.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would like to add it's not so much of an inferiority complex as seeing the totally different style of thinking. People are afraid of what they don't understand. A common fear leads to hate to soften the fear.

I personally like sensors, I am not biased against them. I consider them good people who I can learn from, since I mostly understand things on an intuitive level.

EDIT-

IRL there is a prejudice against Intuition. The minority always gets singled out and put down.

So true. I get called weird for my intuition all the time. Pretty much everything about it seems weird to some people, how I communicate, the intuition itself, etc.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
With sensors being about 75% of the population, many of us have been clashing with them throughout our lives. And now we're on a forum where we are the majority. So it makes perfect sense that some would vent about sensors, especially SJs. It's the least I would expect.

Also, we have to admit, intuition is pretty effin cool.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
With sensors being about 75% of the population, many of us have been clashing with them throughout our lives. And now we're on a forum where we are the majority. So it makes perfect sense that some would vent about sensors, especially SJs. It's the least I would expect.

Also, we have to admit, intuition is pretty effin cool.

Guess you never read the part about vengeance from the bible :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People are not consistent in their actions in real life and their written prejudices/stereotypes uttered from an anonymous online alias.

I would wager that many of those who have bought into "sensor hatred" in a thread or two would never divulge as such in real life, when in the presence of one.

It seems to me that it is alot easier to drop a rant online than to project dislike/disdain in person. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but in the vast experiences I have lived and the troves of people I have met, most have done a good job of maintaining appropriate civility.

Thoughts?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in a house presently with nothing but Sensors. Dysfunctional Sensors at that.

Needless to say, I hate you all right now.

Lots. :yes:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I would wager that many of those who have bought into "sensor hatred" in a thread or two would never divulge as such in real life, when in the presence of one.

In real life, no one knows what the hell a "sensor" is.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well if you are a two meter tall bodybuilder I would too not project disdain in person :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thoughts?

Do you mean that YOU in particular haven't experienced this? If that's the case then a couple of reasons might be that you seem to be a cool person in general, and also ESTPs just seem to be easygoing and easy to get along with.

I know some intuitives (who aren't into MBTI) label sensors as "closed minded" or "slow." I also know/see sensors (who aren't into MBTI) label intuitives as "weird." I think people who buy into the whole "different is bad thing" are closed minded themselves, S/N preference doesn't really matter that much. You just have to be able to get along with people, and have some social common sense. If you see that someone is different, take the time to realize that you can learn a good bit from that person.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't feel inferior to Sensors. Not at all.

People are not consistent in their actions in real life and their written prejudices/stereotypes uttered from an anonymous online alias.

I make sure I tell my Sensor friends every day how much their inability to understand beyond immediate reality causes my heart to bleed :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SARCASM IS NOT ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm