MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Are 2 wrongs supposed to make a right?
    I don't know. Maybe. But it happens anyway.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

But, the bolded part is what I'm getting at....how much of this vent is due to some misconstrued understanding of sensing (or even types) and how much is really *ahem* grounded in the reality of what sensors are?
    Well the tendencies aren't being misconstrued, we all see them. But is being closed minded, for example, inherently part of what it is to be a sensor or SJ? I don't think so, but it can be a byproduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    People are not consistent in their actions in real life and their written prejudices/stereotypes uttered from an anonymous online alias.

I would wager that many of those who have bought into "sensor hatred" in a thread or two would never divulge as such in real life, when in the presence of one.

It seems to me that it is alot easier to drop a rant online than to project dislike/disdain in person. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but in the vast experiences I have lived and the troves of people I have met, most have done a good job of maintaining appropriate civility.

Thoughts?
    I think there's this underlying phenomenon of misconceptions (that may have started off as jokes/sarcasm) being played out, and confirmation of misconceptions by like-others (i.e., other intuits), turns the misconceptions to 'reality', for all intents and purposes on these forums.

Which leads to the propagation of such ideas about sensors.

In this forum, there are some clear prejudice regarding sensors - they can't see beyond, they can't imagine as well, they can't theorize as well.
    And, with enough time, and support, these become truths on this forum. And, once a label sticks, that stigma is hard to shake off.

IRL, because we don't walk around theorizing day and night about intuition versus sensing, we don't have thoughts on the differences of both in the forefront of our mind, hence, we see less divide IRL.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    In real life, no one knows what the hell a "sensor" is.
    Pardon me for being unclear, I meant that for a given (intuitive) person that posts on this forum, that if they had voiced (typed) disregard for sensors, that same person would not be likely to act or speak out against a person in real life who is apparently of a sensing disposition.

So, my comment assumes that the person MUST know what a sensor is. Does that make sense? (no pun intended)

MBTI
    Zzzz

On the forum, Intuition is held in high regard, and there's many instances of looking down on Sensors. I understand that the forum has way more intuits than sensors, but, why this prejudice? What about sensing (and its typological defintion) that makes it seem 'less superior' to intuition (as per the commentaries on this board)?
    Nothing about Sensing is inferior, neither its Introverted nor Extraverted processes. Nothing should make it seem inferior either but people have this horrible habit of misunderstanding what things mean and then perpetuating that misunderstanding. Yea, I know.

The forum has more Ns? lol People take type and otherís type and people whoís type they think they know for granted due to some rudimentary understanding. There are probably a lot of mistyped people and people who've been mistyped by them from the whole gamut N S F T J P Z.

These people who mostly mock the supposedly S/SJ folk feel misunderstood and they place blame on their lack of cohesion with the masses (the SJ ofc), so they super glue their inferiority complexes* onto their heads for all to witness. Capitals N, NF, NT. Occasionally youíll see NP, NJ.

When in reality, MOST people feel misunderstood at one time or another. Including ye behated Ss. Ssssss. Ssssss. errr Sssorry, havenít slept two nights now.

If itís not disdain of S or SJ, then itís of the supposedly ice hearted NTs or the disgustingly gooey NFs and so on. (-- when there also exists ice cold NFs and warm NTs but we mostly ignore that) Ban together against a supposed threat or group who seems to be opposite from you and then the next day ban against thy enemyís enemy.

Iím guessing itís not really N vs S in real life or type, at all. Itís mostly people pitted against ignorance or intolerance. And most people just assume they'd happen to be S.

But an ignorant and intolerant person is just that. They can be S or N. A person who is well balanced from any type will seem wonderful and tolerant. The difference between a well balanced ESTJ and an unbalanced INFJ. Youíd sooner think the ESTJ was more understanding and emotionally stable. And approachable.

Look at well known people who've been typed Ns, who succeed in an "SJ" dominated society and are appreciated or praised for their efforts by the masses. By the masses. Masses supposedly constituted by SJs, right? (There's no validating information about type division anyway, just estimates at best. But heeeey, people just believe what they wanna. It's easier to justify their pond of an existence against the big ocean of Life).

My best friend is an ESTP. Most people she encounters think sheís weird. She thinks Iím weird. Blackcat said it. Weird is an opinion, more so an interpretation. People mostly apply weird to what they donít understand or what they find interesting but donít recognise within themselves.

* not completely serious. But really, some of you do have it glued to your foreheads. Look in the mirror, the N will be staring back at you...

its also because of competence, which must be understood as context sensitive, but is usually felt as an inherent attribute of his or her highness.

most people, including intuitives, -as individuals- got fairly big egos and overstep their natural area of insight/competence, but sensors are doing that in a group-trance, not because they are sensors, but because they are majority. they don't get much opposition and everyone around them speaks the same language. it's ethnocentric.

anyone afraid of grasshoppers?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Do you mean that YOU in particular haven't experienced this?
    Yes, my comments were limited to my personal experience.

If that's the case then a couple of reasons might be that you seem to be a cool person in general, and also ESTPs just seem to be easygoing and easy to get along with.
    Maybe so, I am defintely a people person. I am a helpful, creative problem solver with a positive attitude, and the people I usually work with are usually in the middle of some kind of cluster&*$^ and happy to be getting help.

I know some intuitives (who aren't into MBTI) label sensors as "closed minded" or "slow." I also know/see sensors (who aren't into MBTI) label intuitives as "weird." I think people who buy into the whole "different is bad thing" are closed minded themselves, S/N preference doesn't really matter that much. You just have to be able to get along with people, and have some social common sense. If you see that someone is different, take the time to realize that you can learn a good bit from that person.
    Hey, stereotypes are bullshit. If you limit others based on them don't bitch when your life is limited as such. I grew up an Army brat, moving every 2 years, and have lived all over and met thousands of people. I learned very early on, decades before I learned about MBTI that stereotypes are useless accepted societal prejudices. So, maybe the issue at hand here is people being too caught up with stereotypes?

I don't have time for steretypes. I extend to everyone I meet courteousy, and give all an equal opportunity to prove themselves worthwhile or otherwise. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt upfront, but don't needlessly expose myself to backstabbing. I'm way too busy to waste time on socially retarded grade school practices.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well the tendencies aren't being misconstrued, we all see them. But is being closed minded, for example, inherently part of what it is to be a sensor or SJ? I don't think so, but it can be a byproduct.
    I don't even think being close-minded is a byproduct of sensing. The same could be said by a Sensor to an Intuitive: "How can you be so close-minded to all that is going on around you, you dumb ignorant fuck?"

Now, SJ, like with NJ, or any J, allows for greater speed of making up one's mind, which I don't fully agree is the same as being close-minded.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't even think being close-minded is a byproduct of sensing. The same could be said by a Sensor to an Intuitive: "How can you be so close-minded to all that is going on around you, you dumb ignorant fuck?"
    Exactly. So everyone is closed minded to someone in some way, intuitives to sensors and sensors to intuitives. It's because of the vastly different ways of thinking. How can you argue against this?

EDIT: I forgot to clarify that I meant that this is where the stereotyping and discrimination comes from.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Now, SJ, like with NJ, or any J, allows for greater speed of making up one's mind, which I don't fully agree is the same as being close-minded.
    I don't think a sensor could say that about an intuitive in that sense. Being closed minded is about not accepting the abstract world of new ideas. It's not about obliviousness to the here-and-now world. Maybe "closed-bodied" would be more accurate.