User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

Results 261 to 270 of 511

  1. #261
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    That, and that the other three elements have as large if not larger costs that span a large spectrum... It irritates me to, essentially hear, "We stereotype Ss because they aren't as 'good' [according to some metric or another], but it's so tough being an N" in every single one of these threads.

    <In before "you'd understand if you were an N".>
    Ns want to have their cake and eat it too... Fair enough assessment. To some extent I've been guilty of doing so... ranting that I don't fit in and the general population of Ss don't understand. Kind of ironic if you think about it.

    I think it's not so much the actual percentages, but the vague impression and perception of type distribution that people rely on. Nothing more than an excuse to support their "right" to whine and complain and assign judgment on others.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  2. #262
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,774

    Default

    I sometimes wish I was an S so people aren't like 60% of the time I open my mouth. It's better then hating on S's because I can just hate on myself, and no one gets their feelings hurt.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  3. #263
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I can see this in terms of being a "dreamer" and such. However the development of cognitive processing in children moves from concrete to abstract. Children are especially "hands on". If you want to teach a child a new idea, it is ineffective to present a theory. They have to feel, see, taste, and smell each concept or they don't learn. There is also a stage of development that is rule-bound(elementary age), so information is best presented in clear, rather absolute terms. It is only after this stage, during adolescence that cognitive processing allows for examining grey areas and uncertainties. It is interesting that all this is balanced also with the childhood focus on imagination.

    It is interesting that the misunderstood dreamer is such a fundamental part of our cultural narrative. It is consistent in Disney, but clearly exists in novels and movies intended for adults (although not with the same absolute consistency) I don't have a specific conclusion on everything this implies, but it does seem rather compelling especially in relation to this particular discussion.
    Good points. I'm kind of mixed on that though, seeing how much children play make-believe. That's the part I identify with the Disney "dreamer" - injecting themselves inside that world.

    But what you say is true too. Wonder how much of it is adult assumptions - seeing children playing with dolls, or dress up and all that - and putting an adult spin on it. See it happen with dogs all the time Why not with kids!

  4. #264
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Ahhh dude I just got your signature. Had to pronounce it out loud. Cute!

    Cute AND disturbing! Just like me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #265
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I sometimes wish I was an S so people aren't like 60% of the time I open my mouth. It's better then hating on S's because I can just hate on myself, and no one gets their feelings hurt.

    You should be happy with the person you are!
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #266
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I sometimes wish I was an S so people aren't like 60% of the time I open my mouth. It's better then hating on S's because I can just hate on myself, and no one gets their feelings hurt.
    i suffer from this too, so you're not alone. you'll adjust and things will improve. and give yourself one too. really. stop what you're doing and give yourself a hug. you're amazing and you can always count on you.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  7. #267
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    i suffer from this too, so you're not alone
    Heh, try having the "singularity" concepts or "brain as evolution of movement system" conversations in RL (both are in my blog here ). The eye rolling reaches epic proportions.

    Although, to this day, I think the most eye-rolling thing I have come across is when I tried explaining that genetic algorithms might be able to design better cities, including those on other planets, as it can adapt to different environments. Eh.

    I roll my eyes at others too, notably those in my philosophy. I couldn't even handle it in school - dropped out, disillusioned. We all have our things, I think.

  8. #268
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Haven't gotten very far through the rather prolific-ness, but I just have to say this post is kind of genius, Hmm. I am totally socially awkward, and dammit, I kind of like sometimes being told I'm normal and feeling like some sort of social idiot savant.

    This probably speaks to some sort of messed-up ego stuff in myself, but fuck it.
    Exactly. Now lets try to make it to the Winchester!

    Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Life is what you make of it. Stop crying and move on.
    Often I forget that many people (both men and women) aren't really looking for solutions to their problems, they just want to discuss them. There is a relief they get from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I sometimes wish I was an S so people aren't like 60% of the time I open my mouth. It's better then hating on S's because I can just hate on myself, and no one gets their feelings hurt.
    S's can't escape from the look either.

  9. #269
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Life is what you make of it. Stop crying and move on.
    Yay! Thank heavens for this.

    But seriously .....

    As I have stated a few times now in a few different ways in this thread, I think this whole question revolves more around the expression of life stages than anything else.

    Consider the following:

    erik erikson life stages

    I would estimate that a good majority of folks here on the forum are in life stages focussed on esteem, on developing self-identity, and then desiring and learning to share that identity with another person. This is a time when you are most keenly trying to forge your sense of self AND trying to be accepted by others AND trying to merge in one-to-one relationships.

    SO, it's natural that the differences you feel between S & N are most keenly observed in your teens and twenties. And as an N, you realize you are a little different from the majority and thus some of these tasks seem so much harder.

    Hey, I know. I was there too.

    But, when you get a few more miles on the odometer, these differences will fade and certainly seem less important than they once did. You realize you need to embrace all parts of yourself, nurture and honor your traits, and grow your "lesser" functions. You thus become attracted naturally to people who have the strengths that you yourself need to build. The very traits you least possess (and for some here, despise) are ironically the ones you need to grow!

    And as you gain more confidence in your uniqueness, you learn you have much to offer the world! For N's, all the S's realize in order to get past the "glass ceiling" they have to use more of the skills that N's find naturally easier to use. SO, your capabilities are a big asset! You can be a great example to others! It is in your best interests to embrace all the other "types" and learn as much as you can from them!

    That's what drives me a little crazy here sometimes - life is a perpetual learning curve. Don't just seek out "like" - use your N skills to intuit, to understand what is required to thrive in certain situations and do it!

    Have i got it down-pat yet? Nope. But I'm working on balancing it all the time.

  10. #270
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Yay! Thank heavens for this.

    But seriously .....

    As I have stated a few times now in a few different ways in this thread, I think this whole question revolves more around the expression of life stages than anything else.

    Consider the following:

    erik erikson life stages

    I would estimate that a good majority of folks here on the forum are in life stages focussed on esteem, on developing self-identity, and then desiring and learning to share that identity with another person. This is a time when you are most keenly trying to forge your sense of self AND trying to be accepted by others AND trying to merge in one-to-one relationships.

    SO, it's natural that the differences you feel between S & N are most keenly observed in your teens and twenties. And as an N, you realize you are a little different from the majority and thus some of these tasks seem so much harder.

    Hey, I know. I was there too.

    But, when you get a few more miles on the odometer, these differences will fade and certainly seem less important than they once did. You realize you need to embrace all parts of yourself, nurture and honor your traits, and grow your "lesser" functions. You thus become attracted naturally to people who have the strengths that you yourself need to build. The very traits you least possess (and for some here, despise) are ironically the ones you need to grow!

    And as you gain more confidence in your uniqueness, you learn you have much to offer the world! For N's, all the S's realize in order to get past the "glass ceiling" they have to use more of the skills that N's find naturally easier to use. SO, your capabilities are a big asset! You can be a great example to others! It is in your best interests to embrace all the other "types" and learn as much as you can from them!

    That's what drives me a little crazy here sometimes - life is a perpetual learning curve. Don't just seek out "like" - use your N skills to intuit, to understand what is required to thrive in certain situations and do it!

    Have i got it down-pat yet? Nope. But I'm working on balancing it all the time.
    Some good advice in there. All I'd add is that N's can also learn some glass ceiling stuff from the S's too - like being good enough at important details to run a department, or notice when something is bothering a member of staff.

Similar Threads

  1. TypeC biased against sensors?
    By Oaky in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 12:52 AM
  2. [NT] The NT Prejudice Against Feeling
    By Synarch in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 03:42 AM
  3. [MBTItm] Question for sensors?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 03:30 AM
  4. [ISTJ] Famous dead Sensors
    By labyrinthine in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO