User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Emotions in response to movies/tv shows

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but...

Just wondering what emotions people feel in response to different movies/tv shows.

I just watched an episode of The Office on tv (the UK one, not the American one), I love the show, so funny, but argh, it's also torturous! I can hardly look sometimes. I don't know if I can think of any other thing that makes me feel so so embarrassed. Oh yes, Borat. That's another one, so funny, yet so embarrassing.
    I'm not sure if embarrassing is exactly the right word, but it's the closest that I can think of at the moment.

Anyone else have experiences like this?
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    INFP

I think that's the art of some types of comedy. It can put the most pitiful situations in a humorous light. I think it makes you feel ashamed because you're meant to be amused by the character's misfortune, and you are, but you know it's actually pretty sad.

Extras was even more torturous to watch. I love that.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I am often unable to look at the screen out of embarassment for the people on it. The 'questions' segment of beauty pageants always does this to me. ARGH!! Must. Hide!

I also snivel over diaper commercials and cheesy TV movies.

I'm a disgrace to my type.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    I am often unable to look at the screen out of embarrassment for the people on it.
    Segments involving mixups or blunders practically drive me from the room.

deleted

I was extremely close to bolting out of the theatre in the middle of Watchmen. I don't recommend that movie. It is horrible.

violaine

To the OP... I believe what you're referring to is called the "dumb chills". That feeling of horror when watching someone making an ass of themselves. I don't really get them watching movies anymore but I will irl. I had a hard time watching Sarah Palin interviews for a while.

As far as how I feel watching certain movies, if I feel like crying I really hate not being alone. Especially if the person I'm with asks if I'm alright and looks at me during the movie. I can't cry after that and it feels weird. I ask people close to me to please never do this. I watched a movie recently where I just wanted to lie on the ground and sob my eyes out at the end but couldn't as I knew my friend was watching me and waiting. :/ It kind of ruined the movie a little for me.
    Last edited by violaine; 03-14-2009 at 06:22 PM.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    I watched a movie recently where I just wanted to lie on the ground and sob my eyes out at the end but couldn't as I knew my friend was watching me and waiting. :/ It kind of ruined the movie a little for me.
    What movie was it? I'm so desperate to watch an intense tearjerker right now, sometimes I specifically watch them so that I can cry unabashed and empty myself of the bad humours.

I also get that excrutiating squirmy feeling whenever I watch someone making an ass of themselves on TV. Less so with the office because it's intentionally stupid.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

violaine

^I will rep you if you really want to know, but it will spoil it. Hmm, I might put a list of movies together so you won't know which one...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I usually take on the feelings of the characters while watching a TV show or film. For example, in an embarrassing situation I will feel embarrassed, in a situation where the character is taking revenge I will feel vengeful, etc. If I already normally feel a certain way, the film will amplify and sustain that emotion...

An interesting film to watch to see what kind of reaction you have to it is "Lost in Translation." This film isn't action or plot or story, and it's not even characters. The film is completely 100% tone and feeling. Each line, each event, the lighting and the sets, everything, goes towards creating the tone. Tone is the real character of the film.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    An interesting film to watch to see what kind of reaction you have to it is "Lost in Translation." This film isn't action or plot or story, and it's not even characters. The film is completely 100% tone and feeling. Each line, each event, the lighting and the sets, everything, goes towards creating the tone. Tone is the real character of the film.
    I love Lost in Translation

For days after, "suckin on my titties.." will be stuck in my head and my INTP will randomly demand "Lip my stockings!"
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky