• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Distinguishing I from repressed E

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It seems everyone here is an Extravert, then. Am I the only one who doesn't have friends (I mean, other than Internet)?

I have no friends on the internet and maybe 3 other than the internet.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Though how do you draw the line between a few and many friends? (To some people, 1 friend can be many.)

And Wolf, I don't know the names of my neighbors, either. I live in an apartment in an area full of white trash. Yes, ironically, I hate them, too.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
And Wolf, I don't know the names of my neighbors, either. I live in an apartment in an area full of white trash. Yes, ironically, I hate them, too.
I live in a nice/quiet area, middle to upper-middle class, and I still don't know my neighbors. I don't hate them, it just doesn't interest me to meet them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have few and I'm pretty sure two of them probably aren't actually my friends just are entertained by me, which is why they invite me out.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to make better friends with animals.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It seems everyone here is an Extravert, then. Am I the only one who doesn't have friends (I mean, other than Internet)?

I have three good friends in town, and probably ten good friends scattered around the globe who started out as 3D friends. I kind of collected these over the years-- there have been times in my life when I had one good friend, or none. I've always had family that I like to be around (I like being with my brothers and sisters most of the time, and two of my cousins), but when I didn't have friends I was lonely in a general sense.

I'm still introverted because being in the physical presence of even my close friends and family members draws from my battery, and I eventually need to hide and recharge. My sister is the opposite-- being alone is sometimes nice at first for her, but after a few hours of it she's calling people and making plans.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
me too but you can't exactly take your dog/cat out to the bar for drinks or to get coffee. or have a meaning philosophical conversation or make fun of people /joke about life.

I went out with family tonight and we didn't do anything really just went to dinner then went back to my cousin's house and I sat their and played with the dog. On the way to my aunt's house she called someone and I started feeling very sick and wanted out of that car and it's only female voices that do that to me my uncle made a car earlier and it was fine. but when I got inside I wanted nothing to do with either of them. so I still haven't figured out if I'm a repressed e or an i. I have a feeling this is something I'm going to have a hard time figuring out.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Actually, no. I have no friends outside of the internet, although I have a few acquaintances from high school I worked on projects with, but didn't bother to keep up with because I was too different from them. I talk to family members occasionally, but they don't usually understand me either. I like getting sympathy and encouragement occasionally, though once I've gotten that I prefer to withdraw again.

Hit and Run encouragement? Do you stick around long enough to reciprocate?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hit and Run encouragement? Do you stick around long enough to reciprocate?

Usually, no. If they approached me later, I would be more than glad to help them, they usually just don't want my help, or think I'm not capable of helping anyone.

Online, though, I might try to reciprocate. I don't really have the energy for real life social situations. I can be cordial enough to deal with people in a positive manner, but it takes a lot out of me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
me too but you can't exactly take your dog/cat out to the bar for drinks or to get coffee. or have a meaning philosophical conversation or make fun of people /joke about life.

Well, I don't like going to bars or coffee shops, period.

And who says conversations have to be verbal?

I can have a philosophical conversation with myself and pretend my dog is answering back to me. Or I ask myself questions and then I answer them.

I can also write a book (or blog) about my philosophical beliefs. That way, I don't have to necessarily hear the opinions of other people! :)

I can just read responses and then lie down and reflect on the perfect comeback!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like bars and cofee houses

90% of my conversations are in my head

I sometimes do that but I want to know other people's opinions

I could do that I try to do that but some how it comes across as crap and i change my mind every other day it seems like

I overthink this chicken out and don't reply.

right now I'm half asleep so my brain is not working at the moment.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think:

Humans are social beings. Although it's possible to score 100% I on a personality test, I would hypothesize that anyone who is TRULY 100% introverted is clinically crazy. (And that goes the same for 100% E)

Jung said precisely so.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I might get tired physically, but mentally or emotionally I feel energized being in a crowd. My mind becomes more focused, and if I am in a heavy social situation for a long time it can be something of an adrenaline rush. It's kind of like exercise. Sure technically it tires you out, but at the same time it gets you going and makes you feel like you have more energy.
Yes, I know this happens, but it's not permanent. People seem to talk in absolutes when it comes to this and I've never seen this as any sort of absolute.

ygolo

My termites win
For those who have no friends outside the internet, perhaps, you should organize a meetup that jives with your interests/likes. I 'm sure there will be kindred spirits locally. :hug:

Are you telling me you never met anyone you liked on the internet in person? :shock:

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
For those who have no friends outside the internet, perhaps, you should organize a meetup that jives with your interests/likes. I 'm sure there will be kindred spirits locally. :hug:

Are you telling me you never met anyone you liked on the internet in person? :shock:
I've met at least 55 people I first met on the internet. It's actually pretty rare and over 30 of those were at a single event. In the last 7 years I have met, maybe, 15 people when it wasn't a big group thing (like Vegas or Boston), usually because one person I met lived near others they knew from the same area. I've drifted from most of these people, though. If I don't talk to them online, I don't end up talking to them on the phone or see them in person, that's just the way it works with me.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
true I's need miniature pockets of I-time when confronted with difficult questions, even if they just came from solitude.
Is that an ironclad rule? I have heard of this via temperament theory, and seen it (though not necessarily among those considered introverts). When asked a question, my first instinct is never -- never -- to ask for a moment to think, least of all temporize.

Edit:
Before I realized I was an extravert though I'd often like to go to hang out at public places by myself. I think it was nice just to be around people.
I do that as well. The bustle of indoor malls, especially at times of moderately high traffic, is a favorite immersion.

...no one starts out exhausted, then feels refreshed after socializing.
You need to meet my brother.
When I was playing out five years ago, if I started a little cold I would inevitably be electric by set's end.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Speaking just for myself, even if I am comfortable in the situation and enjoying myself very much, it still is draining.

Yes. No matter how much fun it is at the time, I am mentally scheduling my Me Time for later. Even while enjoying the interaction I know that it's going to necessitate some alone time to 'recover'.

Matt22

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Example of repressed extroversion:

As a kid, I usually had to choose between following groups or being alone/with individual friends. Since following was draining, I usually chose the latter.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Good question. I don't have any ideas I would trust, having only Ni and Fe to go on, but here's one anyway:

I think that a repressed extravert would feel a sense of mild depression at being alone all the time, but feel powerless to change their situation, and grow accustomed to it. A true introvert would actually work to preserve their isolation.

Hmmm that's interesting. I don't know about powerless to change it, perhaps not even sure if they want to. I do believe that a true introvert however would work to preserve it.

I consider myself a repressed E. How do I think they differ, well I am interested in the world beyond my interior..perhaps not as much as other extroverts but certainly more than introverts. I go beyond myself to not only share the me I'm constantly working on (if anyone wants some :) but also to discover things that I perhaps have only thought about or perhaps never even imagined.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
For the personality matrices buffs out there (and anyone else interested in speculating), something I've wondered about: how would you distinguish between an introvert and a repressed extravert?

Some of the most funny people are introverts. Some extraverts have to be that way because they don't have the ability to have a meaningful conversation while staying in for the evening.

If I saw extroversion as the ideal "orientation" I'd gravitate towards it over time (I believe that conciously you can change yourself over about 5-10 years where eventually subconciously you become that way). I see constant extroversion as a waste of time... besides having to engage in mind numbing chit chat about average things.

Anyway, I'd say that you always oscillate around your mean level of introversion/extraversion... you'll find that swings are a rebounds from pushing yourself too far one way or the other.